Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

Those remixes are all done. He is finishing up work on the "Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve" live DVD/Blu-ray which is coming out September 25th, No-man will be touring in a couple months, the recording of his third solo album will start in September, then he will be touring for that album when it comes out Spring of 2013 so he will be quite busy. Porcupine Tree will get back together, it is just a matter of when.

2. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

On the subject of Passion Play from an interview of Steven Wilson by Rolling Stone India.....

"He said to EMI that he’s happy for me to do it. EMI are keen, so yes, I think it’s quite likely that it will happen."

3. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

:pineapple:
    My fingers and toes are crossed!

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Passion Play?! I'd rather have Benefit or Songs From The Wood or something, if we HAVE to have another Tull album remixed and formatted for surround.

:thumbsdn:

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

:eek: We all want them too. SFTW and Benefit are in my Tull Top-8. But so is A Passion Play. I see no reason to complain.

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Is it limited to only one more? Ian hasn't said so, nor has EMI. Whether we HAVE to have another surround mix or not, you don't HAVE to buy it.
    PP is the next in line because they're following the sequence of Tull's output. No word on why Benefit got passed by, but the next time Ian has a Q&A session with the fans, maybe that question will be answered.

7. Doctor Flang

...and i still have that fear that the multitracks for Benefit and Stand Up are missing.

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Thank you - A Passion Play 5.1, what a treat that would be.

9. jsayers

When I said "Have to", I should have been clearer. What I should have said is I'd like to see Mr Wilson spread his expertise around a bit more and work on some other groups as well besides Tull and King Crimson. The upcoming ELP releases are already preordered, can't wait. Surely there are some other vintage acts that could use this excellent treatment.
    Didn't really men to be a "Debbie downer"... ;)

10. jsayers

That's what I suspect as well, unfortunately.:sigh:

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agreed.

Whereas the original "Aqualung" (and "Benefit", which if Ian and Steve Wilson really want to do a service to Tull fans, they're re-mix that) had some real problems in their original mixes (like no bass for a band that could rock) "Thick as a Brick" sounds fantastic (on a couple of the CD pressings, like the MFSL Gold, and vinyl).

:confused:

12. I agree, I have the MFSL gold disc, and I don't have a turntable. All I want is the 5.1, I'm gonna be pissed if I have to shell out >$100 for it.

13. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I got an original UK press 2 weeks ago - A-3U, B-2U, pecko in dead wax - vinyl looks as new -all for $20. I'm good, no need for a 5.1 mix. Are they gonna fold upther paper lots of times to fit into the disc case? Or just print it really small? You can't beat the original.

14. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I am still not paying over 100 bucks for the deluxe set just to get the blu ray disc, it has become a matter of principle to me. something tells me that they will not release the blu ray disc separately, which is a shame.

15. +1

An expensive box set is a no sale, and unlike Aqualung, I don't see how a remix will improve TAAB as the original mix is excellent as-is. A standalone 5.1 would be welcome though.

16. A Passion Play Deluxe makes more since because all the material associated with the Chateau Disaster sessions could be included, particularly the bits that have not been officially released to date.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Will the new Thick as a Brick set offer hi-rez?

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

We are not sure yet, but we are hoping for a Blu Ray to be included.

19. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I'd love to see a deluxe APP with the complete Chateau D'Isaster recordings. However, I'm weary of a remix as isn't there some mention by either Ian or SW floating around about potentially mixing down or out the saxophones on APP? No thanks to that idea.

I wonder what bonus material (if any) is available for TAAB... any chance we could get a live recording circa '72? There are some boots floating around of varying quality. A half-way decent live recording would make this set a whole lot more appealing.

20. Doctor Flang

Sailor! Sailor! Sailor! :goodie:

21. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm totally in for the complete package of TAAB and am just as thrilled if not more so about APP. These are certainly my two favorite Tull LPs (as I am a prog fan, after all).

Those of you worried that it's going to be a $100+ box like Aqualung, I have no insider information, but I'd say I doubt you'll have to worry. I'm sure they don't think these titles would sell as many copies as Aqualung would since that album has more of an overall appeal and "classic album" status.

That said, give me a massive box of each and I'm there! Which only goes to show how much I love these albums because I already have excellent original UK LPs of each.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I do hope you're right about these not being mega expensive sets like Aqualung. I reluctantly went for the 2 CD version there because my budget just wouldn't allow for it. In the case of Thick as a Brick, there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of outtakes like there is for Aqualung and Passion Play, so the 5.1 mix will be the main event here, IMO. Here's hoping that it's reasonably priced.

I've never been a huge fan of A Passion Play, don't even own it at the moment, but a well done package with SW at the helm of a surround mix and all of the outtakes would certainly be enough to encourage me to give it another shot.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, but we still want high resolution 5.1 included.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure, that's my primary interest here. Please sell the vinyl separately!

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K. I saw the Blu-Ray posts, but I was hoping that some information on hi-rez would have come out by now. Doesn't Steven Wilson post here once in awhile?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.