"Lindsey Buckingham" Solo Albums Remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I'm not an audiophile and I don't overanalyze sound (just the music itself), but I had the original cd release of Tusk for several years before the remaster came out. I rarely listened to it because I just thought it sounded really weak. My opinion of Tusk was affected by that. When the remaster came out I thought it was much better and Tusk is now my favorite FM album. So I'll take the remaster over the original cd release.

Lewisboogie, JimC and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  2. I actually meant Back on Black/Let Them Eat Vinyl. But I can't find a mention of who mastered it. Only the same info from the CD: Stephen Marcussen - mastering, Stewart Whitmore - digital editing.

3. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Received my limited red vinyl addition yesterday and am spinning it this morning. I think this sounds wonderful-not sure of the source but to my ears on my modest system it sounds a heck of a lot better than the cd. However this is mastered it definitely highlights the style of vocals, instrumentation that Lindsey used for this recording. This is an absolutely beautiful package but I will say everything is packed so tight that I have slight ring wear and slight scratches on the vinyl even though they aren't audible. I wish they'd stop doing this-same thing with my McCartney vinyl and Robert Plant-annoying. Nevertheless I am so glad to have this and thanks to this Forum I was able to add this to my collection!

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

5. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Out of the Cradle is a great listen.

6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Having some fun with Gift of Screws and Seeds We Sow tonight:
    (FWIW - I think the vinyl for both sounds great)

foobar2000 1.1.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-06-22 22:13:38
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Lindsey Buckingham / Gift Of Screws (CD)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1021 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ====================================================

Analyzed: Gift of Screws (Vinyl)
    Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 32
    Bitrate: 6144 kbps
    Codec: PCM (floating-point)

Analyzed: Lindsey Buckingham / Seeds We Sow (Amazon MP3 Exclusive Version)
    Number of tracks: 13
    Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Bitrate: 256 kbps
    Codec: MP3

Analyzed: Seeds We Sow (vinyl)
    Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 32
    Bitrate: 6144 kbps
    Codec: PCM (floating-point)

1st is Gift of Screws (vinyl)
    2nd is Seeds We Sow (vinyl)

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

My copy arrived today...same ringwear problem as on your copy but apart from that it looks and sounds fantastic. Hopefully they will release "Under The Skin" too!

8. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I have the original Vacation CD soundtrack with both of those songs on it.

JimC likes this.
  9. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I have to strongly disagree about the Tusk reissue. Those three reissues from 2004 I thought sounded very crisp, fresh and a lot better than the previous CD versions. Dan Hersch & Bill Inglot at Digiprep did a great job, although this is just my opinion. I hope any future Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham remasters are done by them, although I think I remember reading on here a few months ago that one of them had left Digiprep now.

JimC likes this.
  10. Andrew Smith

It's interesting that even in this modern age of the loudness wars with CD's, new albums on vinyl are still being released with all the dynamic range intact. Is there any reason for this?

11. Andrew Smith

It's such a shame that the bonus tracks for Seeds We Sow are only available through iTunes (US only) and Amazon.com (US only), and not on the CD or vinyl. Sleeping Around The Corner is a great track.

fmfanuk likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Good point. Especially since the vinyl version is a double album and would have had plenty of room for the bonus tracks. But I'm glad they released this album on vinyl at all....

13. Andrew Smith

Those three bonus tracks were only available on iTunes USA and Amazon.com (US). Sleeping Around The Corner is an iTunes US only track, whilst the electric version of Seeds We Sow and the acoustic version of End Of Time are exclusive tracks from Amazon.com (US).

Luckily, someone on this forum in the USA was kind enough to buy all three tracks and send them to me. I've now added those three tracks to the Seeds We Sow album is my digital music library, so whenever I transfer the album to my Phone/MP3 player from my PC... it will play the three bonus tracks at the end.

I see you're in Germany. I'm sorry to say that they're not available on Amazon.de or iTunes Germany either. Heaven knows why he left Sleeping Around The Corner off the standard edition. It's actually one of the best tracks from that album IMO. The acoustic version of End Of Time is an interesting different mix and arrangement from the main album version, as is the electric version of Seeds We Sow.

14. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Something I wished we'd gotten back ten years ago is Lindsey's earlier albums reissued. Leave the sound alone on Cradle but fix up Law & Insane. Give the some bonus tracks for cryin out loud! Us Buckingham/Mac fans are a needy bunch and we need our fix!

willy likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

On L&O he's really testing the boundaries within the genre he's operating in, much like what Macca does on McCartney II. Over-emotive singing combined with a knack for irresistable hooks, dressed up in an off-kilter, weird production. It's especially the slower songs that resemble the 50's.
    And it all works!

Go Insane ups the weirdness-factor a slight bit, but the production definitely sounds dated. Still enough room for the classy stuff, though!

The later stuff seems to be a different kettle of fish. I'm actually not familiar with a lot of it, but am aware of the fact that I should be.

Lewisboogie, willy and JimC like this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Hmmmm...my Target CDs of "Law & Order" & "Go Insane" sound just dandy to these ears!

17. Bill Kilbourne

Bill Kilbourne Well-Known Member

I just listened to side 1 of "Go Insane" on vinyl, and I found mostly it unbearable to listen to. Very loud, 80's style synthesized, repetitive lyrics, close to chipmunks nauseating. I love the Buckingham/Nicks LP and Lindsey's work with Fleetwood Mac, but the Go Insane LP is a major disappointment. I don't want to waste my time on side 2.

I also picked up a copy of "Law and Order" and will give it a spin. Hopefully it is better...to be continued.

18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

"Go insane" is probably his most "difficult" album. The 80s were not a good time for many artists, probably there was some "force from above" expecting them to make use of those "exciting new electronic sounds", that were fashionable for a while. And sound so dated from today's point of view.
    "Law and order" is lightyears ahead and still sounds good today.

JimC likes this.
  19. fmfanuk

fmfanuk Forum Resident

Still waiting for Under The Skin to be issued on vinyl, guess we will wait as long as to get the Buckingham/Nicks reissue

whisper3978 and Neonbeam like this.
  20. For those interested who can't find Holiday Road on CD it is available as a download. The iTunes version (even if lossy) sounds pretty good.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Awhile back, Boris Blank of Yello released an outstanding collection of stray tracks and demos and such that gave some insights into his creative process and are just a blast to listen to. I could easily see Lindsey doing something like this. As a devout studio-head, I am betting he could put together a very compelling collection of loose B's and demo sides. Just listening to the different versions of tracks on Tusk and the 'alternate' Screws makes me confident that this could be a very entertaining set.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Dark Horse, ACE FREHELY ROCKS!!!

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

You are a very wise man. :uhhuh:

Jackstar74 likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm assuming Go Insane is OOP on CD? Going by the jaw-dropping prices on eBay at least. Is Law & Order still in circulation?

25. Neonbeam

Doesn't really make sense to delete one and reprint the other but... yeah! "Law & Order" is a midprice cd, "Go Insane" is oop. And only two copies on Discogs.

Think you might have a chance to find it out in the wild for less but I'm fine with vinyl.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.