Which mix of "Aqualung" do you prefer, and how do you rate the EQ of the new mix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

So, about 75% prefer the new mix and find nothing wrong with it (with regards to EQ etc.).

I learned a new thing with this poll, I guess: To be even more careful with recommendations with regards to sound quality on this forum. I have listened to the new version again, and I just don't like how it sounds (on my system, and to my ears).

The good thing about this poll is that the votes are public, so each member can find the members he agrees with the most and lean towards their recommendations.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I wouldn't place that much "faith" in a single poll. Personally, I buy a disc because I want it... regardless of what others recommend.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The new vinyl in the box set. I haven't even listened to the CD yet.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. There are certain people that I trust, after years of comparing masters that they reviewed.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The vinyl in this set sounds best to me. I noticed the bass on Cross-Eyed Mary. It sounds like pedal bass and not bass guitar on the chorus.

6. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I have owned numerous versions of Aqualung over the decades. The DCC was my favorite until I listened to the remix.
    The remix cd is by far the best version in my opinion.

mikmcmee likes this.
  7. Tank

Tank New Member

After reading here about how much time and effort was involved in DCC securing the stereo master tape of Aqualung, I'm sure Steve must have some feelings about the remix. I'd be curious if he is with the majority about the remix beating the original mix. Has he commented?

8. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Mr. Hoffman's remaster was a tremendous improvement and I am surprised that the remix was also such a significant improvement beyond that. It makes me wonder why more remixes are not done if the original master is in bad shape, or simply may leave a lot of room for improvement.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the only thing that bugs me is the remix did not copy the exact instrument placement...which IMO could have been done...still, I am floored each time I listen to the remix...

mikmcmee likes this.
  10. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Sounds like you’ve created your own black-list. :sigh:

Actually, it should be noted that an overwhelming 83% here prefer the remix (which is a landslide on this forum) and many of those who didn’t vote for it have admitted enjoying it. I didn’t vote because your options or so blatantly prejudiced about the EQ. An objective poll would have simply asked do you prefer the original mix, the remix or other/something in-between/can’t decide.

And I agree that seeing who voted for what is very telling because it confirms to me what I’ve mentioned previously in the thread about pre-conceived ideas prejudicing views of mastering/remixes.

11. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

What's wrong with the poll options (other than that I simply forgot to mention that this poll only pertains to the stereo versions, not the multi-channel versions)?

It includes two questions. One about the remix and whether you like it better than the orginal mix or not and one about the EQ choices (i.e. the tonality).

Gives you four options, everything represented equally.

Don't need a "can't decide" option, those folks shouldn't vote.

I included an option about the tonality of the new version because I personally think it is not good at all, although the remix itself is nicely done (as far as remixes go), even if I still prefer the original mix. The tonality of the remix totally kills it for me. But not for the majority of other people.

Can't see anything wrong with it (the poll, that is).

12. Tank

Tank New Member

You can't see anything wrong with it because there isn't anything wrong with it.

You even included an option for those who prefer the original mix but have no problems with the EQ on the new mix, which would seem to be going above and beyond to try and have an option for every listener.

The remix seems to be preferred. To me, anybody moaning about this poll is just wasting your time.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Is there a poll like this rating the remixed Deluxe Quadrophenia c.d.? I would be interested to see the results.

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

right ;)

15. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Stereo two cents worth

Ignoring the great 5.1 and enjoyable 4.1. Returning to the not too shabby stereo, Chrysalis CDP 32 1044 2, I like (the laughing) Up To Me. This has always been my favourite place for Up To Me on CD. I still enjoy Aqualung on "M.U." - The Best Of Jethro Tull VK 41078 DIDX 403 - Japan for MCA Canada (also my favourite place for Teacher). Too dull for some, they sound fine to me on a Harman/Kardon/Infinity system that is already on the bright side. CD only - I like the new remix and the burned to the brain original mix for the most part, but I find the EQ less than ideal (e.g. treble) on the remixed CD. Peter Mew, please resist the urge to brighten in the future, especially on Songs From the Wood.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting.
    Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
    My words but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT.

16. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Resurrecting this older Jethro Tull Aqualung thread, my apologies if my statements and questions have appeared in earlier threads.
    I didn't vote here since I have never heard the DCC version.
    I grew up listening to my older Brother's original US Chrysalis LP.
    I now own the original Chrysalis cd-1984, the 1998 remaster (25th Ann?) and the 40th.
    My main problem with Steve Wilson's 40th is the track "Locomotive Breath" especially around 3:20 into the song. The bass “buzzing” which is noticeable in all versions that I have heard, is much more predominant in the Steve Wilson’s mix, more than the other two earlier versions. Since the mostly left channel bass seems to be shared a bit more in the right channel in the SW mix, is a possible reason why it is more noticeable.
    Does anyone else find this additional buzzing annoying, or at least noticeable? Or am I going crazy?!

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Side 1-remixed version
    Side 2-quad version

I don't think the quad was remixed was it? I like how the horrible grinding vocal parts from the original are layered in the quad album. Hymn 43 and My god benefit a lot

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  18. tootull

These days it's all about that quad. No worry about the rest.

19. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

If there weren't parts missing I'd prefer the quad all round. Vocals on the quad smash all other versions. The occasional flute or guitar bit is quieter or missing due to not having a quad player I suppose. Can these be heard in surround sound though?

20. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

That is your opinion, that's fine I did ask for opinions, but my inquiry was about 2 channel, obviously.
    I do not own, or intend to own anything but a 2 channel stereo, and standard stereo cd's. I asked about an affirming audible sound with the said listed cd's, that's all.

21. tootull

I was responding to PROGGER's post.

22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

For most of the quads you only need 2 channels. I was playing with the remixed versions of my God and hymn 43 trying to get a similar vocal effect to the quads using Nero's vocal changing feature

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.