McCartney "Ram" reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rarediscs, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

OK, but Reeves is also assuming it was recorded on the 30th street studios. So maybe it was on both? Anyway, the 30th street one was famous to have held other great sessions for Miles Davis and Bob Dylan.

2. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Huh. I've never heard of "I Would Only Smile." Does anyone know what it is like (rocker, ballad)?

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It's a Denny Laine song. I think it ended up on a solo LP of his.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

From Japanese Tears (1980) - http://youtu.be/ffEiwydNHtQ

I just heard it for the first time. I like it. :)

5. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Thanks Chip. Great brass arrangement on the song. They told me also this was recorded in NYC during the overdubs at A&R.

theMess likes this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Thanks Chip !
    This is some great info.
    Like many others, I had always thought that only two "Ram"-era tracks had been released at the time of "Red Rose Speedway" ("Get On The Right Thing" and "Little Lamb Dragonfly"), with your - and Luca's - info, we now know there was a third one !

theMess likes this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Jeeze, this McCartney guy was sure busting at the seams in '70/'71, huh? :D

theMess likes this.
  8. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

On the recording of " I LIE AROUND " we know, we can hear great mccartney vocals at the end of the recording which are from the original RAM recording, and, as said " a source close to the RAM reissue project, the original recording is full of crazyness with splendid macca vocals, great brass and guitar links, a real hidden gem. Some great outtakes of monkberry sessions are really great too, and a nice DEAR BOY first take from the end of the sessions in LA are contenders for the surprises on the set ............but , once again, the main goals are to deliver at first stuff already bootleged but in a perfect sonic condition, and keep new stuff for other delayed far projects. The final choice will be by Paul himself. The demos are already put on the shelves for the archives for ........another century; Ram set is ready for the book, the videos, but for the music, the possibilities are still very large at this stage : 5 cds of stuff are ready for only 3 or 4 cds for the commercial issue, so we can have the mono mix, the single and b sides, the original mixes for the songs used after, the unused songs, the alternates takes, the now hear this song of mine stuff, the Thrillington songs, but NO DEMOS. Paul will decide just after the KISSES frenzy promo. Cross the fingers for never heard stuff, like the incredible original take of I LIE AROUND. Date of release is at this stage planned for MAY. But, please, don't be rude with me IF , we haven't a lot of this . Let's appreciate KISSES FROM THE BOTTOM, and the Baby's request version inside the deluxe

theMess likes this.
  9. jricc

jricc Senior Member

10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

So do we have Hugh McCracken or Dave Spinozza doing those great guitar licks on "I Lie Around" ?

theMess likes this.
  11. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Thank you so much for the information etcetera, much appreciated! Let's hope some of the stuff you mentioned gets released! What do you think the odds are, based on the fact that McCartney I and BOTR didnt include a lot of surprises, but McCartney II did? I seem to remember you saying that the less popular an album originally was, the more bonuses they will add to make it a more worthy buy. You'd think that by following that logic, Ram wouldnt get a lot of stuff added since it was a very big success, commercially speaking.

theMess likes this.
  12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Another question: was Dear Boy started in LA, is that what you suggest? Or did he do the singing and is it an early take of that?

(BTW, am I the only who prefers the sound of the RAM sessions compared to, say, Red Rose Speedway? Compare Big Barn Bed to Get On The Right Thing or When The Night to I Lie Around.)

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

In that case, we need to start a thread bashing everything about Ram! ;)

On Wikipedia, somebody added another song to the list of songs recorded during the Ram sessions.

A Love for You
    Rode All Night
    When the Wind Is Blowing
    Sunshine Sometime
    Hey Diddle
    Blackpool

Did this song ever get a proper studio recording and, if so, was it during the Ram sessions?

Edit: I guess I answered my own question? http://youtu.be/g8kmexCki-o

14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I Would Only Smile is one of my favorites. I'm a big Denny fan.

15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I don't know if there ever was a propere "Ram"-era recording of "Blackbool" (although a 1971-72 Rude Studio demo, complete with Linda and Martha, exists, hear it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNOX6D6b_B0), but the song was definitely recorded during the "Tug Of War"/"Pipes Of Peace" 1981-82 sessions. It was even due to be released on the flip of "The Man", the 3rd single off "Pipes Of Peace" in early 1984, but that release was cancelled and no one seems to have ever heard the finished track.

theMess likes this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh, all right. At least there's a recorded version somewhere! By the way, the link you posted is the same as mine, but mine seems to be in better quality.

17. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anyone else find this posting completely nonsensical? Also, do you really think that Paul or anyone at EMI makes a decision about what's been bootlegged previously when deciding what to put on these sets? This is total BS. If you have something to report, please cite a valid source. If not, STOP the ridiculous hype and speculation.

18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Just to correct, these sets have nothing to do with EMI, and everything to do with Concord.

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Not sure where the hostility is coming from, but etcetera has been a reliable source of good information from inside the MPL camp -- with the caveat that plans and timetables can change, rendering previously accurate information suddenly "inaccurate." A "valid source" can be (and often is) anonymous. We're not really going to have the "Name Your Source Or Shut Up" debate again, are we?

As for the "total BS" you are again incorrect. Plenty of decisions with these archival sets are made based on what has or hasn't been bootlegged. I've seen it time and again with many artists -- most recently the Beach Boys. After a pristine version of a booted track ("Barnyard") was yanked from review streams and replaced with an unbooted alternate mix, many fans were upset, wanting the version they knew from the boots in best-ever quality. The producers of the set addressed the question, saying that they figured everyone had heard the booted version, so they figured people would appreciate a "new" version. (They were wrong.)

theMess likes this.
  20. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

And your valid source for etcetera's post being BS is what? As noted above, you don't even cite the correct label currently distributing Paul's music. I have no reason to distrust the information etcetera shares with this community. He has not always been correct, but as we all know things are subject to change in the McCartney camp up until the actual release date.

theMess likes this.
  21. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

From my sources, DEAR BOY was cut in LA and not in NYC.

Luca

www.mccartney-recordings.com

theMess likes this.
  22. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

rarediscs, there's absolutely nothing nonsensical about etcetera's post and I would like to ask you to treat our friend well, cause he is our only true inside source in MPL's camp! Etcetera has always been right, but like others have said: plans often change within the McCartney camp!

theMess likes this.
  23. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Very interesting how all this stuff suddenly gets clear after 40+ years!

theMess likes this.
  24. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really? Can someone please direct me to where this person has been correct on what's been released? As I remember, he posted a phony 4 CD list of rarities back in May of 2009 for a supposed box set that was in the works. Here is the list he posted for Disc 1:

1/ Goodbye
    2/ Maybe I'm Amazed ( Chris Thomas and Paul first original mix )
    3/ Every Night ( Different Take )
    4/ Rode All Night ( Edit)
    5/ A Love For You
    6/ Little Lamb Dragonfly ( With Paul vocals, without strings )
    7/ Get On The Right Thing ( Take 1)
    8/ Monkberry Moon Delight ( Different vocals takes )
    9/ Sunshine Sometime
    10/ Big Barn Bed ( Ukulele complete version )
    11/ Dear Friend ( Without strings & Horns )
    12/ Some People never Know ( Oboe Version)
    13/ Breakfast Blues ! instrumental edit )
    14/ Mary Had A Little Lamb (long Version )
    15/ Give Ireland Back To The Irish ( Slow version, take 2)
    16/ Tragedy
    17/ Thank You Darling
    18/ Soily ( Studio Version 1972)
    19/ Best Friend ( Studio Version )
    20/ The Mess ( studio version)
    21/ C Moon Jam ( With John Bonham)
    22/ Lazy Dynamite ( Long Version )
    23/ Night Out ( Instrumental)
    24/ High High High ( Slow Verson )
    25/ Only OneMore Kiss (Take 1)

Hidden Bonus Track : Radio spot for HiHiHi / C Moon recorded at Abbey Road

To date, hardly any of these have come out. Ditto for the other tracks he listed on Discs 2-4. These tracks just reek of being made up "C Moon Jam with John Bonham"...give me a break. "High High High" is misspelled here also. There are too many things that don't make sense. I just don't buy it.

Again, please show me where he's called it right in the past. Come on...

25. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Speaking of "I Lie Around", has anyone uncovered if the snippet at the intro was a true field recording with Paul or something created in the studio. I know the ending was created in the studio with help from the Moog but the beginning has always intrigued me.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.