Thelonious Alone in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

Tonight we listened to this album at dinner for the first time in ages and I really enjoyed it. I have the Riverside 2005 remastered cd that states "20 bit K2 super coding " on the slipcase, whatever that means.

The disc sounded good on our cheap Sony boom box in the kitchen - didn't sound overly loud.

I noticed on Amazon there are two other versions available, a newer 24 bit remaster from last year (2011) and the original presumably non-remastered version from 1991.

What do other forum members think of these versions, and yes I realize Monk should probably be played on vinyl, but that is in the future!

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The higher frequencies on those 20-bit K2 remasters sounded boosted to me compared to earlier CD versions. I prefer the OJC of this album. Never heard the 2011 remaster.

3. FrontalLobe

FrontalLobe New Member

I agree with this. Avoid the K2s in the red slipcases.

I prefer the "OJC Remasters" version of this title (the 2011 version to which you refer) to the standard OJC CD, myself.

4. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I thought last year's remaster was a vast improvement over the original OJC CD (and I needed to replace mine because the booklet got damaged, so it was win-win :D).

Cheers,
    Dave

funknik and Lonson like this.
  5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't gree with this general dismissal. Most K2's I have heard sound very good. The treble is not more boosted that on many other jazz remasters. In fact, OJC's often have slightly rolled off treble. I found that many K2's come closer to Steve's 45rpm transfers than the OJCs.

6. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

Apparently the K2 of 'Monk's Music' is the one to have.

It is mastered from the mono tapes rather than the stereo and it is said sounds much better for it (there were completely separate mono and stereo recording chains in use that day)

I have tried to buy it in the past from Amazon sellers but I always got sent the standard version so I have given up trying to buy it.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Thelonious Monk should be played on any format you can listen to him on. Enjoy! :)

JeffMo likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Who mastered the "OJC Remasters"? Joe Tarantino?

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To answer my own question: it was Mr Tarantino.

10. FrontalLobe

FrontalLobe New Member

Maybe Analogue Productions will do a Riverside mono series of hybrid SACDs and include this title. :)

11. JeffMo

Thanks guys. If I come across the newer remaster for a good price I will upgrade, but I think I got my K2 brand new for 6 bucks at Newbury comics and it doesn't sound horrible compared to some other 2005 discs that I have.

Besides, I really need to add some more Thelonious to my modest jazz collection!

12. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I agree with this assessment. I have TASF in this version as well, and it sounds fine to me (and better than, fwiw, the 24-bit reissue of Monk Plays Ellington, which I find bright and fatiguing).

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Speaking of vinyl, the cheap OJC sounds surprisingly good. It's a great demo disc.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Having seen the master tapes, the mastering notes for the OJC are about as pure as one can get: No added EQ.

JeffMo and funknik like this.
  15. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

The OJC CD and vinyl are great low cost choices.

16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

There's a lot to be said for those venerable, un-messed with, humble OJC CDs-- especially now that they can be had for $4-8.

17. JeffMo

It sounds even better on a Sunday morning!

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I understood Steve's remarks being on the OJC vinyl.

funknik likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Agreed, best deal in town.

20. Steve Hoffman

REOPENED BY REQUEST.

21. JeffMo

Six years later I will spin it on another Sunday morning, with a big mug of French Roast.

Lonson likes this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

What a master Monk was, and solo he is master of his own universe.

funkallero likes this.
  23. JeffMo

I love this album, and since posting this thread back in 2012, I have picked up at least two other Monk solo albums.

Lonson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.