Ideal distance between two speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echo, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What do you mean by that? We don't understand. More description, please. Or paste a diagram, or a picture of the room.

Speakers should be symmetric on each side of the listening position. And, you should not have one channel close to a wall and the other far from the nearest wall. Really the speakers should not be close to any side walls at all, though close to the back wall is not automatically a problem.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Mine are about 11' apart in basically a 16' x 30' room, though half of the back wall is open to 40', and the back half of the right side wall is open. I don't have big problems with standing wave reflections or bass build up as the room is long and essentially vented.

The speakers are about 3' in from the front of the room and toed in at around 30 degrees. My prime listening position is about 7' in front of the speaker line and ear level is about 5' above floor level.

My sweet spot is very tight both side to side and front to back. Yes I can still hear well if I wander off center a bit, but that totally locked in 3D soundstage loses a lot of it's detail and captivity.

On occasion I do like to move my heard in 6" or more to get a different perspective. The closer in I get the more the center channel information appears to come from the center of my head, almost as if I'm wearing headphones. Of course I can vary that effect by how far in I move, but generally I only do that on occasion to shake things up.

3. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Jeez

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

That's pretty much the way I listen also. Once you "get it right" as far as positioning, listening to music can be very compelling. :righton:

5. gmku

gmku Active Member

Don't relax too much. You don't want to lose that sweet spot.

6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

30 degree angle toed in, yep - same here for best 3 D centre effect.

Room is 5,30 meters & 4,80 meters - speakers are on the long wall side

2,40 meters in between - 2 meters distance to easy chair position - most of the time -another position is the sofa , which is another 1 meter something behind the chair- crossover point is right between sofa and comfy chair - ....
    speakers are 85 cm from the wall.
    About perfect according to audiophysics and it sounds like that ...

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The width of my head. ;-)

8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

So according to the first article you should aim for the signals to meet just a bit BEHIND the listening position...first i ever heard that advice, usually I am aiming AT the listening position (inasmuch as is possible in any given room).

Is that a better way to go? Aim behind the chair, open the sound up a tad more?

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

If your drivers have good polar response that may have a positive effect.

10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

i have found from personal experience that an isosceles triangle is the best way to hear stereo sound...where youre sitting slightly further back than you would be if in an equilateral formation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stand at the same side for the right stereo effect"

11. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

yep, makes sense - try it out !

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That is how mine are set up in my listening room, yes. Giant soundstage that way. In my smaller mastering room I have a more classic approach.

When you sit in your sweet spot, get the inside walls of your cabinets to just barely be visible to you while you sit. Should open things up. You can always push back if you don't like it.

Try listening to something out of phase. Do this, get a MONO CD and reverse one of your speakers' wires so your speakers are out of phase with each other. Move speakers around in tiny bursts until the sound seems to come the most from all around you. Then switch back to in phase. Should be just about perfect for you.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

or just leave it out of phase for max listening pleasure! ha...

like the others, speakers out from walls, isosceles triangle, perhaps a little toe in, etc.

14. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

my room is dedicated for listening, so that helps.

if your room is used for other things, I think it's nice to have it as clutter free (furniture and stuff) as possible.

It seems the ideal distance depends on room size, listening position, etc.

15. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

You're getting lots of opinions. Just don't forget that they ARE opinions. There are nearly as many philosophies on speaker placement as there are listeners (okay, that's an exaggeration). Try Googling for things like "stereo speaker placement," and I'm sure you will be amazed at the number of different theories. But there is one ground rule that nearly everyone agrees on: Experimentation is essential. That's the one principle I unfailingly take to heart, and I think you should, too. Best of luck.
    -Bob

16. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Question: ideally wouldn't you have to adjust the position of speakers as you listen to different recordings? I know that this isn't feasible in real life, hence the bolding of the first word of my question.

17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

:D

Live solitary.:cool:

18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Or better yet, find someone who doesn't put petty restrictions on the things that excite you, so the ridiculous WAF and SWMBO acronyms never have to be uttered. There are so many immeasurably more important aspects to a relationship and running a household than where you put your speakers in the room. I'm so thankful my SO trusts me to put them where they will sound the best, and that's that -- she would never insist otherwise, and I don't tell her where to plant the blackeyed susans or where she can park her sewing machine or stained glass worktable.
    :righton:

19. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Back on topic, anyone have any thoughts about this?

20. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

It makes no sense to me. I can't see any way that this could be true. IMO, speaker positioning is totally independent of source material.

21. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

8 foot spread, sitting a little over 9 feet away...for my system. ymmv

22. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I'd add that speaker placement is also relative to the design, and more important, dispersion characteristics of the particular speaker.

There is no right and wrong answer, so use (and trust) your own ears.

23. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

this is exactly how mine is setup too. it's perfect

24. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

:agree: Best answer.

25. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Another consideration is the acoustics of the room. Is there carpet on the floor or is it hardwood? etc.

When I was a teen I had a pair of Advent speakers on the floor (hardwood) in my bedroom. I was able to hear high frequency separation from the intro to Chicago's "Fancy Colors" reflected off the floor to the ceiling out into the living room. This was not planned and it only happened one time, but a cool experience none the less!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.