The Beach Boys original SMiLE released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

At least they didn't lose the tapes (EMI, Columbia, I'm talking to you).

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

My 90's pressing of Stack O Tracks looks exactly like that.

3. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

4. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

5. jukeboxexpress

jukeboxexpress Forum Resident

Mine is the same way. The label IS centered on my record but the label itself was printed off-centered.:help:

6. AWalker

AWalker New Member

Good news! I posted a while back about some of the major glitches in some of the itunes
    tracks. I've just redownloaded the worst of these, Surf's Up 1967 (track 26) and it's
    been fixed!!! So I then redownloaded the rest of the album (this is the 2cd version) and
    all the other glitches I mentioned are gone. So if someone out there is listening who got
    this sorted a big thank you!
    If anyone else downloaded from itunes and has has a bad copy of Surf's Up 1967 I would
    strongly suggest doing the same, as it is quite possible a lot more tracks were affected
    as well. I don't know whether these same glitches were on any of the tracks
    for the full box set download, or if any of those have been replaced.

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Surf's Up 67 and the Vega Tables demo were the worst. When the box is finally released in Australia I'll have corrected versions anyway :D

8. AWalker

AWalker New Member

I already had these on the single cd, which is how I knew they weren't
    tape artifacts! Box set is somewhere on its way from Amazon...

9. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

This has been brought up before but never answered.
    Does anyone know if this will count as a new entry in the billboard charts?
    I know with old albums, they don't allow entry, but I guess this is a new one since it never actually came out before.
    If so, do you think the 1CD, 2CD and box will all count as one entry, or three separate ones?
    I know on Amazon, the 2cd is #11, but I'm talking billboard.
    Do we have to wait until the week is up?

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Tune X is soooo good. It starts out like Majorine by Joe Cocker and ends like Autumn Almanac by The Kinks ;)

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That section is lifted directly from the original 1966 mono mix as released on 45, Smiley Smile and all subsequent compilations.

:)

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The deeper I get into the box the more I think whoever compiled the 2nd CD of the 2 CD set is a super genius.

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

got mine from canada yesterday! best box set design ever!

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I'm in Canada and still haven't received mine! :realmad:

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ouch that's bad! hope you get yours soon!

16. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

I don't know, man. The melody is off in a way that BW melodies usually aren't, the phrasing is wrong (so what is he supposed to be singing after "islands" and before the next line of the lyrics start? I can only assume he wouldn't just mutter over the leftover notes on the actual track), and to my ears it crowds out the already fleshed-out high treble section on the backing track.

He was just goofing around with Van Dyke imo. People are making a mountain after a molehill (in this case, vocal riffing in the studio that's only sort of goes with the beat because he's clapping it out.) At best, they hadn't settled on the "real" vocal line yet and were just throwing **** at the wall.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

18. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Got the 2 Cd version Tuesday & the big box came today. I have to say this has been perfectly executed in every way. This is the box set of the year, or any year.
    My only wish is that they had also included the Good Vibrations vinyl single with picture sleeve, my box is incomplete to me without it.
    Has there been a reissue of that single since the original release or will I have to track down an original copy?

Terry

19. dvakman

I like that. Both are more satisfying than the BWPS melody which is what, mostly two notes? Seems like most of the criticisms of this box set melody could just as easily be applied to that one in terms of phrasing, overlapping with background vocs, etc

20. dvakman

Could be, but I thought he was singing the melody line to verify with Van that the tempo was correct.

21. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Ok, who wants to take a shot at singing this sucker so we can have a listen to it?

22. Daniel Plainview

I think the melody is sorta mimicked by the little decending guitar part that you hear behind the "Rock rock roll" part. They aren't exactly the same, but they have the same sort of feeling.

23. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Well I held out and didn't purchase an itunes download but found a 2LP copy. Fantastic to hear all this together.

Now one question, and I don't know if it's been addressed....I just looked at few pages of the thread, but are you guys hearing audible distortion on Side 4 Cabin Essence session highlights?
    The bass really sounds over-modulated.

24. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Guys, at what point does Brian sing something on the Holidays session? Can't catch it.

Edit: Ah sorry, caught it now. At a minute and fifteen for anyone interested!

25. Daniel Plainview

1:22. People talking in foreground, Brian at piano in the back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.