Pink Floyd 2011 / 2012 release schedule on Amazon.com (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

2. botley

botley Forum Resident

Interesting. So my old CD of DSotM is the Sax remaster with old-style packaging, but Meddle is the reverse!

Silly inconsistencies like that make it clear "Why Pink Floyd" reissues aren't just beating a dead horse. It's high time that EMI brought consistency to the catalogue worldwide.

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Well, for DSotM, that depends on the matrix numbers on the CD itself. You have to check those against what Vernon has on his page. Or you can check EAC peak levels and compare them.

But if the CD you bought was purchased some time well after 1993, odds are you have the Sax remaster.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Has anybody pre-ordered Discovery or Immersion from Amazon.co.uk?
    I have but my order-status still says "Not Yet Dispatched - Dispatch Estimate: 26 Sep 2011". I wonder if this ok?

As before on some pre-orders, when release-date has been monday or tuesday they have sent the items during previous weeks friday or something..

Oh well, maybe Im just being over excited about this release and waiting for it..

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You are. Everybody else getting theirs is making those of waiting on Amazon feel left out. Meanwhile, the actual release dates remain intact.

6. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Oh man, you sure found a way to spend the weekend - impressive! :thumbsup:

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Nothing yet

8. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Droolin' over the picture of that box...but would sure like to know what these bad boys sound like before I even consider buying it.

9. I want someone to compare the gold CD of Meddle to the new mastering. I doubt the mastering will be improved, but I am open to the possibility modern ADCs are better and more accurate than something done 15 years ago.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Have you heard the Black Triangle ? I have both, and think both sound phenominal.

11. I have heard a CD-R of it, if that counts. Include that mastering also in the comparison, I just want an idea of how much difference the new remasters bring for albums not given Immersion boxes or deluxe editions.

12. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Through a friend of mine here's the track listing of the Best Buy exclusive sampler coming out on Tuesday...

1 - Money (2011 Remaster)
    2 - Wish You Were Here (2011 Remaster)
    3 - Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (2011 Remaster)
    4 - Us And Them (Live At Wemberly 1974)
    5 - Have A Cigar (Alternate Version)
    6 - Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 (Demo)

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

14. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

Glad I cancelled my preorder. I was on the fence thinking there might be exclusive tracks.

15. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

16. downer

downer Senior Member

Yep, made in EU

17. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

nice hope mine is made there too.... i don't want capitol america manufacturing...

18. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I'm thinking the "exclusive" tracks will just be online streaming of a few tracks from the other two Immersion sets.

19. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Looks good to me. I'll be picking these up. Thanks for the waveform/spectral. If I am not mistaken they don't appear to be NRed based on that spectral but I admit I only casually glanced at it.

I wonder if these will trump the CBS 40AP-1750 Japanese pressing vinyl for The Wall and MFSL UHQR for DSOTM. I feel confident they'll trump the black triangles. :cheers:

20. botley

botley Forum Resident

Spent the whole afternoon/evening with Atom Heart Mother, Meddle & Wish You Were Here Discovery editions. As far as general mastering choices go, my impression is that Guthrie was very respectful to the material. Yes, they're louder than the 1990s Doug Sax remasters, but certainly not over-compressed. Nor do I detect much "de-clicking" as the Beatles remasters used it; Guthrie left in many of the production imperfections that their team would perhaps have scrubbed out. It seems to me that Guthrie and his assistant Joel Plante only used some light hiss reduction where necessary, but not in an annoying way. Some of the more egregious tape drop-outs seem to have been patched up, but that could just be the result of better tape research or reconstruction. All in all, I'd say these remasters presented the records at least as well as any previous CD version.

Now, the nitty-gritty stuff! Screenshots of "Summer '68" in Adobe Audition:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and here's "Have a Cigar" (see my previous post for "One of These Days")
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for good measure, here are the EAC peak values from all three discs.

ATOM HEART MOTHER
    100 / 90.1 / 100 / 100 / 100

MEDDLE
    100 / 89.7 / 100 / 100 / 70.1 / 100

WISH YOU WERE HERE
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 99.9

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for the info, opinion, and waveforms!

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm curious how the remasters compare to the first Japanese pressings of these albums:

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Japan: CP32-5269)

A Saucerful of Secrets (Japan: CP32-5272)

Dark Side of the Moon (Japan: CP35-3017, the non-TO version)

Wish You Were Here (Japan: 35DP 4, the 2-track version)

Has anyone done any comparisons yet?

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Now, they are packing my stuff at Amazon.co.uk...:)

24. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

These are not to bad, I will still reduce mine about 1.8 DB to give it more head room and keep it away from 100% peaks.

25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.