Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

The vinyl curtains will not do here.

vinyl for sale = already sold...who would be a poor man, a beggarman, a thief

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

A DTS-CD as an alternative? Really? Wow. When you could have a DVD? No offense, but you must be out of your mind. :laugh:

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Jethro Tull fans, if you'll allow me a fair and needed off topic moment, while I address the above post, from MYKE.

MYKE, you're really not from Nashville, are you? I've met people from Nashville and they are far more laid back, than the way that you post on this forum. I'm thinking that you moved to Nashville, but you're really from New York, or at least from the east coast, right? If you answer yes to my question, then I'll understand the tone of your posts, like the above and laugh. Otherwise, if you are a true Nashville native, then I highly recommend that you listen to some Vince Gill albums, for a 24 hour period straight and then report back to this forum, where I'm sure that we will find a much calmer MYKE.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What is accomplished by going over and over and over something that's already done ? Do you expect them to recall the finished product already waiting to be shipped ? Do you envision them saying " Oh ! Those people on that internet forum want us to completely overhaul our plans...it's back to the drawing board for us !

5. I appreciate more and more how Fripp prepared and released the King Crimson 40th Anniversary sets. Priced reasonably, high def., surround, interesting bonus tracks, original mixes plus remixes. I guess it was too much to hope he was setting a trend.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Let me ask another question, MYKE. How many times have you bought the same album or CD, more than once? There are lots of record company people that read this forum and there, one day, will be another reissue of this album, so that's why we discuss these things. While I agree that while this particular issue is "in the can", our posts could explain to those involved with it, with why it is or isn't going to sell or not. You are correct that it is each of our own decisions, whether to buy or not to buy it.

7. It's called "venting your frustration". I would also hope that there is a possibility that future releases could be impacted by negative postings on sites like this. Is that too much of a stretch?

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't think I'm happy.

9. tootull

Observations of how you would have liked it to be, this is a problem? You know, I'm going to walk around with a vinyl sucks sign until the message gets through. haha

10. Myke

More than I'm proud to admit, and only since joining here, and tasting the Kool-Aid. Since January 1st of this year, it is a practice I've tried to end, with one or two exceptions. The Sweet Baby James announcement for example, had me go home last night, pull the original vinyl, which was bought less than a year ago from Klownschool, clean, quiet, black as night, with original paper inner and even the POSTER !!! Digital : The Japan 20P2, again, bought less than a year ago from Darcy. Sounds great as well. Then...my son reminded me we just sold a standard aluminum USA CD, in a pile we took to the B & M. Point is : NO MORE Sweet Baby James. Enough already.

But if you're saying the rationale is improvements for future releases...are those same " industry people " going to be in power for the next release ? Doubtful. They'll either be dead, or pushed out by the younger execs that've worked their way up. Will those younger execs go into the archives here to read what was said 10 years ago ? Doubtful.

11. tootull

This is great! :laugh:

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You are obviuosly not a fan of surround music, otherwise you might understand how frustrating it has become to either not get any surround mixes at all, or if you get them, they are lossy and/or part of an expensive collector's box.

I simply can't spend $150 only to get a surround mix.

13. tootull

OK OK you're off this thread for mentioning the other JT. Snore!

14. tootull

Part of the shame.

15. Myke

Wrong.
    You're not getting just a surround mix, there are 6 items in the set.

16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

MYKE's posts make me see red on this occasion.

Fabulous! It's 5.1 on blu-ray.

I'm not a Jethro Tull fan. I haven't got Aqualung or any of its tracks in any format. But in 5.1 on blu-ray I'd be more than willing to give it a chance. But at a hundred quid?

I'm already getting ready to fork out an obscene sum just to get Wish You Were Here and Darks Side Of The Moon in quadraphonic on blu-ray.

I had to fork out a ridiculous sum just to get the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of Layla.

Quadraphenia hasn't even got the complete album in 5.1.

They're all coming with a mass of expensive paraphernalia that is neither use nor ornament and occupies space in a house already cram full.

I'd really like to see the surround discs available on their own. I don't mind paying thirty bucks or the equivalent in sterling - just the disc in a super jewel case with simple artwork would suffice.

Internet forums are where people voice their opinions MYKE. You'll have to get used to the idea.

17. tootull

18. A nice summation of the upcoming and recent surround releases and their issues. The glorious exception was/is King Crimson. Unfortunately my interest in Crimson is not nearly as strong as my love of Tull. :sigh:

19. wolfram

But I don't need the other items. All I want is the surround mix. There were times when I could buy a DVD-A with a hi-res surround (and stereo) mix for about $ 20-30. That's about all I need (and can afford).

20. tootull

Thank you for this observation.

21. Myke

Then you're SOL aren't you ? The past is gone, and this is the present...with all it's changes. I hope crap like this is the least of your life's problems though.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

23. wolfram

No idea what SOL means, but overcompressed masterings are also the present, still people complain if a new brickwalled remaster is released. Do you comment their posts with the same agression?

24. Maybe he is not SOL, who knows whether a single Aqualung surround disk is in the future or not? And why the keen interest in what others like to worry about? Does your need to feel good about your pre-purchase trump other forum members who want to vent and hope for something better down the road? I don't think so.

S = *****
    O = Out of
    L = Luck

25. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.