Happy Birthday, Ian Anderson: When I'm 64

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

Happy Birthday, Ian Anderson: Eight Obscure Facts About Jethro Tull
    By Lee Zimmerman Tue., Aug. 9 2011 at 9:00 AM

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/2011/08/happy_birthday_jethro_tull_ian_anderson.php
    Ian Anderson, who celebrates his 64th birthday today (Aug. 10), has spent practically two thirds of his life as the iconic figure at the helm of Jethro Tull. His hopped up stage pose -- balancing precariously on one leg, flute in hand, gazing menacingly like a madman and dressed in a shabby housecoat -- became one of those indelible images that's still synonymous with the '60s, when Tull first got its start. Likewise, the band's famed rock opera Aqualung continues to drive audiences into delirium, specifically songs like "Cross Eyed Mary," "Locomotive Breath" and the title track itself, all of which have become immortal rock anthems.

Add the albums Stand Up, Benefit and Thick as a Brick, and Tull's cannon becomes ample enough to thrust them into the front lines of the prog rockers that emerged from the late '60s and early '70s. Yet, surprisingly, the band remains an enigma in many ways. Certainly there are some obscure facts about the band that have eluded even its most stalwart devotees. Here then, is some Tull trivia to help us celebrate Mr. Anderson's big day:

* Novices often believe that Anderson is in fact Jethro Tull. In fact, the band took its name from the English horticulturalist that invented the seed drill (Don't ask us what that is though). Anderson's first band was called Blade, but after the original line-up evolved, they starting calling themselves Jethro Tull when a member of their booking agency, who happened to be a history buff, gave the name erroneously to a club manager. However, the branding was nearly waylaid when the label of "Sunshine Day," their debut single, was misspelled and credited to "Jethro Toe."

* For a time, Anderson, Ozzy Osbourne and keyboardist Keith Emerson could all claim to have shared guitarists. When Tull's first axe man Mick Abrahams quit after the band's first album, This Was, was released in 1968, he was briefly replaced by Tony Iommi, who later went on to stardom with Osbourne in Black Sabbath. It's Iommi who appears with the band during their performance on the Rolling Stones' legendary "Rock 'n' Roll Circus" spectacular. Shortly thereafter, guitarist Davy O'List -- who had played with Emerson in the Nice (a precursor to Emerson Lake and Palmer) -- was recruited for a few shows, but his stint with the band ended when Martin Barre permanently filled the position prior to the group's second, album Stand Up. He and Anderson remain the band's only current members of that earlier incarnation.

* Anderson himself started as a guitarist, but gave up in frustration when he realized he would never play as well as Eric Clapton. He took up flute only six months prior to the recording of This Was.

* Phil Collins played drums with Jethro Tull very briefly. In fact, his stint lasted for just for one gig, a Prince's Trust benefit in the mid '80s.

* The band's most famous album, Aqualung, was inspired by some photographs taken of some transients and street people by Anderson's then-wife Jennie. She was given a writing credit for the title track and continues to receive royalties from the song. Unfortunately, her funds are no longer in the family; She and Anderson divorced in 1974.

* In addition to being branded with the Jethro Tull moniker, Anderson is the victim of another case of mistaken identity. The cover drawing of the Aqualung character had many people believing it was Anderson himself. It's not, although he once resembled him on stage.

* South Florida can claim its own dubious distinction in the Jethro Tull legacy. While Aqualung's title track and "Locomotive Breath" are still staples of the band's live set, supposedly the only known time the latter was left out of a Tull concert occurred during a 2003 performance in Miami.

* What was Jethro Tull's most infamous distinction of all time? The band were awarded a Grammy Award for "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental" in 1989 for their album, Crest of a Knave, beating out the heavily favored Metallica and their album ... And Justice for All. The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences was chastised for being out of touch with popular sentiment and Tull suffered the embarrassment of being caught up in the fiasco.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=14227913
    Aug. 10: Singer Ronnie Bennett Greenfield (Ronnie Spector) of The Ronettes is 68. Singer-flutist Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull is 64. Singer Patti Austin is 63. Mandolin player Gene Johnson of Diamond Rio is 62. Actress Rosanna Arquette is 52. Actor Antonio Banderas is 51. Drummer Jon Farriss of INXS is 50. Singer Neneh Cherry is 47. Singer Aaron Hall is 47. Singer Lorraine Pearson of Five Star is 44. Singer Michael Bivins (Bell Biv Devoe, New Edition) is 43. Actress Angie Harmon is 39. Country singer Jennifer Hanson is 38. Singer Nikki Bratcher of Divine is 31. Actor Ryan Eggold ("90210") is 27. Actor Lucas Till ("Hannah Montana") is 21.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jethro Tull Forum
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1615&page=1
    Jethro Tull Board
    http://thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=2139&page=1

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Happy Birthday Ian..

3. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Aqualung is now being touted as a Rock Opera? :help:

If you were here I'd shake your hand rub elbows w/you, sir.

4. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

Aqualung 40th Anniversary Edition releases due out this November. Box set and Deluxe Vinyl

5. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Happy Birthday Ian and hoping the mastering is better than that last absolutely horrid re-master.

6. Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark Active Member

Any idea of the contents?

And Happy Birthday Ian.

7. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

I don't. I just have very early details from EMI confirming its release and this is not officially solicited yet, so info can be subject to change.

date: November 1, 2011
    Appears to be a 2 disc set on the CD (but it could be 2CD, or CD+DVD, etc.).
    The "Deluxe Box Set" I can't determine anything at this time. Appears it might be pricey.

There's a thread on it already (but I've yet to read it myself):
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=250672

8. Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark Active Member

Thanks...:righton:

9. tootull

Steven Wilson puts in an appearance in this thread. Please use this thread link to Jethro Tull 5.1, as requested by the OP of the other thread that you have linked. :)
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6619325&highlight=#post6619325

I know - confusion will rule. :laugh:

Thank you!

10. houston

houston Forum Resident

Happy Birthday Veronica Spector :love:

11. tootull

12. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Happy 64th Ian!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.