Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" At least the success of the Crimson reissues has led a to more and more artists from this era coming to the conclusion that a sympathetic remix (by which I mean one that is super faithful to the original mix in every respect, using the same balance, EQ, stereo placement, plate reverbs..etc..), can do what no amount of remastering the original mixes can do in bringing out sonic clarity. So in terms of the model of deluxe editions with the original mix, a new stereo mix, 5.1 mix, and mixes of previously unheard out-takes found on the reels, there are more of these kind of projects on the way, though I can't say more at present. I just hope that more often that not we can incorporate a high res format into these editions. Watch this space I guess... "

SW

2. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Good points. I'm happy with the kind of ongoing trend with 5.1, and in some cases, hi-rez, versions on the deluxe editions. 5.1 is a very good selling point for me personally. If a "deluxe" set is simply filled out with, say, live shows, I usually don't care.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Indeed! :goodie:

4. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

I'm hoping that the 5.1 mix gets a high res presentation. Given that In the Land Of Grey And Pink has the surround layer in DD, I'm a little worried that Aqualung won't get it's due.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Really? Damn! At least they could have gone DTS...

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

No. There are several nice 5.1 mixes in this world that have never seen the light of day beyond an uber-compressed, lossy, Dolby Digital release. :help:

7. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

Guys - I've had confirmation from EMI that they are going with a regular DVD for my 5.1 mix. On the plus side the original 70's quad mix will also be included, and both the old and new stereo mixes at 96/24. SW

8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Well, high resolution versions of both stereo mixes work for me on this title. Hopefully, EMI will opt for DTS for the surround options.--that is, if there is enough room on the disk.

Thanks for the info Steven.

9. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Ok, Steven, but tell them that the surround should be DTS 96/24! We don't want Dolby! (And I know you don't either)

Now they might give us both a 448kpbs and a 640kpbs Dolby Surround for both the 5.1 and Quad similar to the new Pink Floyd reissues. But at least those have a Blu-Ray with 96/24 DTS-HD MA (or maybe it's PCM). If we're only getting DVD we need DTS 96/24.

I'm pretty sure the new Stand Up reissue DVD concert has DTS 96/24, but I'll have to double check.

10. Myke

I'm ready to pre-order !!!!! :cheers:

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Thanks for the info. A must buy for me. :wave:

12. Myke

Amen to DTS !!!! Listening to The Incident right now, and I am totally surrounded by a superior mix and sonics. :agree:

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

You just made my day, thank you.

14. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Just checked. Both the Live at Madison Square Garden DVD and the Stand Up reissue DVD have DTS, not 96/24 though.

So at least we might have a shout at getting DTS on it.

15. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I guess I must be missing something because AFAIC, this sucks.
    It perfectly illustrates why the fools who run the music industry are their own worst enemies.
    A Blu-ray would be the obvious choice for this release plus a CD+DVD package for the Luddites.
    Yeah it costs more to duplicate but you simply charge a bit more for the product.
    A Quad mix? WTF cares about a Quad mix. I'd rather have a 3-channel mix.
    I for one am very disappointed but not surprised.
    Everything that Robert Fripp rails against is absolutely true and getting more so.
    Perhaps it will take a near collapse to finally convince these morons that there are 2 types of consumers, those who demand quality and those who demand convenience.
    Sell to both.
    Maybe these geniuses see a revenue stream from 99 cent iTunes downloads of Mother Goose. :rolleyes:

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It cannot cost that much more to have a AUDIO_TS folder for crying out loud.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

So this is a good thing: "I've had confirmation from EMI that they are going with a regular DVD for my 5.1 mix. "

This makes someones day? I don't get it.

18. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I would prefer a DVD-Audio disc, but I'm still happy to get the original quad mix with this package. Yeah, I can't have my first choice, but I'm not going to stomp around in a snit over this.

19. wavelength

wavelength Forum Resident

Hey, that your choice. But I'm PO'd. Take an absolute classic for a redo but don't make it as good as possible. What is wrong with these people.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The album was mixed in Quad 4.0 in the 70's, so we are getting that original mix. That's great. I've heard it, it's good, it's a different take on the album.
    A 3-channel mix wouldn't make sense. It wasn't mixed to 3.0 originally and it doesn't make sense to mix it to that format now.

Thanks Steven for the info, I am happy to know that every mix of this classic will be included in one package, but I would have prefered, like many here, DVD-Audio for an uncompressed sound option.

Steven, do you know why EMI chose to go with a standard DVD-V when you can have a Dolby 5.1 track playable everywhere on a DVD-Audio? Cost?

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh, just saw the Caravan 40th Anniversary thread over there http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=246874
    So yeah, I guess the reason is "saving a few cents" for the accountants.

And yes, it would be great to be able to download a lossless 5.1 version. The FLAC file format supports lossless 24/96 5.1. It would be playable from a computer (which is what I do) without even the need to burn it on a DVD-R.

22. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

:agree:...for crying out loud.

23. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Hello Steven,

Thank you for posting.

:cheers:
    :righton: 70's quad mix

24. therockman

Well this is VERY, VERY bad news to me. Consider my interest in this title as a surround mix, officially done. Why go with a regular DVD for this title with what I guess will be a lossy compressed Dolby Digital surround mix when a DVD-A or a Blu Ray disc would have held the stereo mix in high rez, the surround mix in high rez and the quad mix in high rez. I am now on the fence about buying this at all. I might have to wait for reviews for the high rez stereo track to see if I should buy this title at all, but I am very disappointed by this announcement. It is a shame that a talented man like Steven Wilson can work his **** off to produce a nice, new surround mix and the company then choses to release it in an uber compressed, lossy Dolby Digital format. I was so disappointed in the Fly Like An Eagle 5.1 mix that only saw the light of day in Dolby Digital. :help:

25. therockman

The more I think about this decision, the madder I get. :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.