Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

REMASTERS!

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

New album?
    Live album?
    Aqualung remaster? lol
    Thick As A Brick tour with the complete Brick?

Who knows? Ian and the big surprise, oh look out.

3. tootull

I like the This Was mono CD for the most part.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is Benefit regarded the pinnacle of Tulls achievment, or is it Aqualung ?

5. tootull

Stand Up

...it's all down hill from there. :cool: A beautiful ride. :laugh:

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That's August 12, Ian's birthday, I think, and not a surprise for most people in their sixties.

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Always has been Benefit for me.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's great that they are going to do an Aqualung 40th Anniversary tour, but I pray to God that it is just the band without guest performers. If that is the case, I'd like to go.

Last Tull show I saw they had a guest violinist who totally ruined the show for me. Too many non-Tull songs, and too much violin getting in the way. It wasn't even a Tull concert to me. When I go to see Tull, I want to see Tull songs, Ian/Martin, not some fiddle player doing God knows what (they even did Kashmir by Led Zeppelin!!! at a Tull show?? no thanks). I've refused to go see them since in a lame protest on my part. :sigh:

Btw, my first concert was Tull! On the War Child tour. Quite an experience for a wide-eyed young teenager...(ouch! don't look at those flashbulbs you idiot!)

9. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I'll join this thread, I appreciate Tull. :righton:

I like Thick As A Brick, myself.

That's the thing, though... ask 10 different Tull fans about their favorite album, you'll get 10 different responses.

10. tootull

Ian's birthday August 10th

11. tootull

You know best...and who would blame you for this choice? :righton:

Minstrel in the Gallery for me.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't know if I could pick a favorite between Benefit, Aqualung, or Minstrel. Sometimes I prefer one over the others. Aqualung is such a landmark album though I'd probably have to go with that one...but wouldn't surprise me if I already posted in this thread and picked something else!

13. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

As long as nobody says their favorite is Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, everything is cool.

:laugh:

14. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Fairly new here and just discovered this thread, which I will read through in good time!

Jethro Tull has been one of my favorite bands since the early 70's. I have their studio releases on LP up to Heavy Horses, and a few CDs. I realize I am missing a lot of their work and intend to remedy that soon. I also hope to see them on tour.

Though I listened most to Aqualung and Thick as a Brick back in the day, the one I probably play the most now is Minstrel In The Gallery. It's such a quirky album; weird lyrics, diverse song styles, and some of the best integration of strings in a rock album that I have heard. Sometimes I play it just to hear the amazing bass guitar playing.

Of course I have an early pressing of Thick As A Brick, with the newspaper. I often wondered if little Milton's er, classmate is the same girl pictured as the ballerina on "A Passion Play".

It was difficult to find a CD version of "Living in the Past" with all the tracks from my US vinyl copy (as I recall, "Teacher and "Bouree" were both omitted), but I finally found a Japanese pressing that contained these. Before that I had to piece together a CDR to get the same running order. I find myself listening a lot to this album, too, and particularly love side 4.

15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I didn't like it at all when i was younger, but i quite like it these days! That said, i like every album they made from Stand Up up to and including Broadsword. Including the out-takes.

16. I love TOTRnR too! A bit too much phaser and electric piano for my taste... But great, great songwriting and arrangements!

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

A funny story about that album (which I happen to like) - back in those days a friend of mine was the biggest Tull fan I knew. If not for him, none of us in our circle of friends would have even got turned onto them (at least not until a couple years later). He used to take a lot of teasing about liking them by the rest of us since of us were into dumb hit radio bands & had never heard of Tull. This was in the high school music formative years when you first start really getting into music. He converted the rest of us though (all he had to do was play the Aqualung LP and we were hooked).

Fast forward a couple years and Too Old To R&R had just came out. Being the biggest fan he picked it up first. I went over his house - I asked "How's the new Tull album?"

His answer was - and I quote - I still remember his exact words to this day (I'm sure they won't pass any expletive filters here but)...."IT SUCKS *** ****!!".

That album had a very different sound to it than any other Tull album up to that time (perhaps eventually in all of Tull history?). He didn't appreciate the change.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That is a really good point. I only have the original USA release and gave up trying to find it on CD done "correctly", like my old 2 LP set. When they came out with the Tull remasters I assumed that that was going to come out right, but it never did - why was that? Or are they going to do a D.E. type thing on it like the first two albums??

Even worse than that to me is how crappy Aqualung sounds on CD. I can't afford to spend $200 or whatever it is for one of gold versions. I wish they would release a "regular" version of that done better (not no-noised to death or with more hiss than music). Do they not have the master tapes for Aqualung or what??

19. tootull

20. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Ahhhhhhh... One of the smartest things I ever did, pre-ordering those four discs months before they were due out. I got all four, plus the John Hiatt MFSL that shipped only to those that pre-ordered before the old version of MFSL folded.

21. tootull

Thanks to Maddog

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1453&page=1#19035
    http://www.j-tull.com/ 123:10:22
    I hate crap like this...TELL ME, TELL ME NOW! :winkgrin:

22. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

23. tootull

24. tootull

Jethro Tull's '71 Red Rocks concert forged a place in rock history
    By Ricardo Baca
    Denver Post Pop Music Critic
    Posted: 06/05/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT