45 RPM Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" mastered by Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray A HIT...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Mine is on order - just sadness me, this practice - it's just another part chipping away an an industry/hobby I love - I'd like it to be around until I die.

Sorry - I guess it loses something in translation across the atlantic. :D

2. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

it will be interesting to see if warner press another batch of the 45, i certainly think they underestimated the demand for this and yes i agree with you that "ltd edition" create demand but like the poster below me wrote, we are talking about one of the best selling albums of all time :) , my gut feeling is that they'll make more of these if they haven't already and they're just holding on to them to create more demand.

3. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I understand, I am just glad it FINALLY got released!

4. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Excellent post.

5. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'd love to have someone compare the 33 and 45. I'm one of those people that hates getting up every 10 minutes with a 45 LP which is why I'll probably stick to the 33.

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great post. Just remember the frenzy of the limited edition Beatles mono box and of the Neil Young limited edition LP ($150/4 records) and gold CD ($89/4 CDs) boxes.
    Wait until the rumors start that Smile will be a limited edition: this place will make the angry villager scene from Frankenstein look like a picnic.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Strap yourself in the chair neighbor...Mick & John gonna take you a ride.

8. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I'm afraid it IS true.
    My EU produced 45rpm copy (it only has a Pallas stamped matrix in the deadwax) does not have the floor/hi-hat count-in to Gold Dust Woman. It starts the same way as my other LP. It does have the loud wailing at the end though.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

People should be warned that it is not our mastering and it should be noted. No idea the pedigree of the mastering of that issue.

10. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I do believe it is your mastering, just not your cutting. It sounds much less bright than the old US copy I have.

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

It's been done with many titles. It's all about the physical characteristics of the vinyl's groove at 45 vs 33. Maybe Steve can give us his insight into what he hears with 45 vs 33 rpm. He's certainly done enough of them.

12. Steve Hoffman

Not possible that it is our mastering. Without the countdown on the last track, not possible at all, sorry.

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Damn. Isn't that illegal?

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, how insane is this...

15. stever

stever Senior Member

Makes me wonder what pressings Amazon will be getting...

16. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Where you bought your copy, its first out on Friday in Germany (officially)?

17. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My goodness, as if there was not enough drama surrounding this LP as it is...

18. Steve Hoffman

Once again, no hi-hat and bass drum countdown on GOLD DUST WOMAN, no Hoffman/Gray mastering. That's the essential "tell".

19. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

I just picked up the 45rpm version at Silver Platters here in Seattle. $45.00 and it's Steve's version (said with a great sigh of relief). :righton:

20. Phoney Baloney

Phoney Baloney Member

I will be going out tomorrow evening. Absolutely will try to get my hands on a copy or two of Rumours for forums members, but I can make NO guarantee on being able to acquire it. I feel it is my duty after forum members Walt and Pennywise helped me. Two gentlemen, I say.

21. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

My 45 set arrived today from Acoustic Sounds. States it was made in the U.S.A. and pressed at Pallas. KG & SH on the deadwax so it looks like I have the real deal. I'm looking forward to finding an opportunity when the family isn't around so I can play this puppy loud.

Has anyone compared and can anyone comment on the sonic differences between this one and the DVD-A (which has been my "go to" version for this recording to date)?

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No countdown on Gold Dust Woman? Sounds like the pirates are fast at it.

23. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Beautifully stated. :thumbsup:

24. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Yes, i dont think Warner is doing a different Mastering on this. Makes no sense.
    On my actual Torpedos LP of Tom Petty, there is also no sign of pallas on the records. Official Lacquers (with FM) are coming from acoustech or not? and they dont put pallas on it it think. It all sounds a bit wired.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Blows it outta the water ! Only keeping mine because it's such a rarity, doubt I'll ever play it again. Or the 32XD. The cassette in the car, maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.