Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

& Pound Foolish

I've owned and dis-owned Moravec's Nocturnes many times due to frustrations with the sound. The Connoisseur Society pressings were, typically, noisier than they should be. The Nonesuch CD transfer bothered me when I first owned it, it would probably fall on these ears much easier these days. I also found that Rubinstein—both the thirties EMI/HMV and the later RCA stereo recordings— and Ashkenazy did more for me, performance-wise.

As I recall, I first heard them in the mid-seventies, was very much struck by the quality of tone and touch that Moravec produced.

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

A great set, good pick. Mastered from cassette dubs of the masters, the only surviving copy.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Get it. One of my favorite B flat minor Sonata on record.

Ps- One of my favorite Fantasy on record also.
    The Fantasy in F Minor is one of my top ten favorite solo piano pieces. I have around fifteen of them. The best IMHO...Kissin from the live Chopin disc.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

is the Nonesuch cd a reissue of Connisseur Society material,then? the
    sound on my lp is a little harsh,but as i said,i have a rather low-end
    record-playing set-up.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm quite fond of the two below. If it came to a choice, however, I'd say that Schuster/Wuhrer is somewhat more uneven than Shafran/Ginzburg. I blush to admit that I've not heard all the Fournier/Schnabel accounts, but from what I've read the common wisdom is, or at least was, that the cellist at that point in his career was too young to stand up to the pianist as an equal. I'd probably have plunked for Rostropovich/Richter, like so many here, if I hadn't lived with the Shafran set for years before making its acquaintance.

Attached Files:

9. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

11. coopmv

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Good to know this came out on Odyssey/Columbia LP. I will look for it in the bins. I have many versions of the Cello Sonatas, quite a few new recordings released the last several years, too.

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're right that he's not a household name, but he's not exactly obscure, either. I think his best known work is probably Shelomo, a rhapsody for cello and piano. Once upon a time, Zara Nelsova recorded it with the composer conducting, issued (at least first; for all I know it reappeared later in a larger format) on a 10" London LP. Before that, during the 78 RPM era, no less than Emanuel Feuermann recorded the piece with Leopold Stokowski. A number of his other works also made it to record during that period, not a bad accomplishment for a modern composer of the day.

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

also listened this past week to another Lulu Suite:Boulez conducting the NYP w/Judith Blegen.(the lp also includes Berg's Der Wein w/Jessye Norman.)
    i have this Lulu Suite on a Sony cd ,which i also played.haven't made up my
    mind between the Boulez & the von Dohnanyi.

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am just about to press the buy button on this SACD from Harmonia Mundi. Although I wonder if there will be any turning back since I have not delved deeply into this era.:winkgrin:

SheppardStyleAntico.jpg

Bob Neill has recommended it in positive-feedback.com for this year.

I see that positive-feedback spells the composer's name incorrectly in the top of the listing.

16. Graphyfotoz

Read this

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Harmonia+Mundi/HMU807509

Click on the reviews tab as well

Looks like a good grab! :righton:

Me personally I'm gonna hold out for the Tallis Scholars version.
    It's more reasonable price and I have others of theirs that are just fabulous recordings!!

[​IMG]

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

tonight 2 lps:London STS 15157,Dvorak Symphony No.7,LSO/Monteux.recorded 10/19/59in Kingsway Hall,produced by Erik Smith,engineer Kenneth Wilkinson.first released on
    RCA LSC-2489.my Stereo Treasury copy is in good shape.
    RCA AGL-1-2442,Beethoven Symphony No.6,Boston SO/Munch.recorded 8/16/55
    in Symphony Hall,produced by Richard Mohr & John Pfeiffer,engineer John Norman.my
    Gold Seal copy from 1977 says "First Stereo Release".apparently not released on cd
    until the sacd disc in 2005 (which i also have.) Gold Seal lps from the 70s have a cheap
    look & i was pleasantly surprised.

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks! :)

Hopefully Schafran's ones may be as CD in the Brilliant boxes.

19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Graphyfotoz, thanks for the pointer and the review clips. I may just go with Amazon since it is only 56 cents more and with Prime shipping, my shipping should be extra low - as much as I use it for other things.:)

Oh, I would like to hear the Tallis Scholars version too, but I am being tempted by the SACD.:shake:

20. Let us know how you like it, might put it on my list too.

21. Graphyfotoz

Not a problem....thats what we are here for right? :D :cheers:

Tempted.....been there done that plenty....dangerous!! :laugh:

Samples of Tallis Scholars Version
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...rex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

There is one, although I gather it is not clear the arrangement is by him. He did do an arrangement of the septet for clarinet trio, to which he assigned op. 38. And I think I may have mssed one - a serenade for strings and flute, op. 25.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

With much thanks to (you know who you are) I am very much enjoying the introspective performances of 17 Songs Without Words by Gieseking.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That one I found on my own. Actually, a college roommate had it on LP.

25. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

my morning constitutional:

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size: