"All Things Must Pass" to be re-released on 3LP vinyl and 96Khz/24 bit digital part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

mp3s

I think people who pre-ordered received a link via e-mail that had the wave files zipped together with an option for separate links for downloading each individual wave file. I believe the people who purchased directly without pre-order received mp3 files as well as the wave files.

2. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I did convert the files to ALAC. I used xACT (Mac) for tagging. I dunno about artwork though. I never use it.

3. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm - when i synced my iPad to iTunes, i got the message: "...was not copied to the iPad "iPad" because it cannot be played on this ipad."

So, what do i need to do to downsample?

4. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

You should be able to right-click the song in iTunes and click "Create MP3 Version" to make an iPad-compatible version. Whether it says "MP3," "AAC" or another format in the menu option will depend on your iTunes import settings.

5. bottlerocket2

bottlerocket2 New Member

To prepare for an IPOD, save your original WAV copies somewhere outside of Itunes, then convert the copy in Itunes to ALAC. I think Itunes actually will convert them to 16 bit/96 if you do this due to a bug in Itunes, which is why you need to MAKE A BACKUP first. Once in ALAC, Itunes will allow you to load them to your Ipod and in the process will auto convert them to 16/44. Or just use the MP3s that came with the download for your IPOD.

A good alternative for converting the WAV to AIFF or FLAC is MAX on the MAC or dbPoweramp in Windows.

6. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

Probably a correct theory. I pre-ordered and had the option to download individual tracks, which ended up saving me because of issues downloading the zip file.

-DLedin

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That doesn't necessarily tell us that the vinyl wasn't cut from the 24/96 source - the stuff over 30kHz you are getting back through your vinyl playback could be introduced in the LP mastering/manufacturing process (from cutting to pressing) or it could even be being introduced by your vinyl playback chain, couldn't it? (I have relatively little experience in this area so I could well be wrong :agree:)

Even if they did use the analogue master to cut the vinyl it could still have gone through A/D - D/A conversion in the chain from master to lathe (again, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that this has been the set up at Abbey Road for quite a few years - if so, has it changed recently?).

Do you find different results with other LPs? For example, does an LP you know is sourced from digital tapes (eg, post '87 Beatles) have a sudden cut off above the half-sampling frequency?

:)

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Decided to go for the download today. Just finished the whole process. No download problems. I am listening to the album now and it sounds great! :)

I agree about the drums and about "Art Of Dying."

Just one complaint, I can't understand why they didn't include a PDF with the artwork. :(

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Is there going to be a CD remaster of this album issued for us technophobes out there who know nothing about downloading? I have a nice mint original on vinyl of All Things Must Pass, so unless the new vinyl pressing is far superior, my anolg needs are probably met.

12. With the way the UK, German and Holland pressings of this lp slaughter the US pressing sonically, you might actually be in the market for an upgrade and not be aware of it. If this new lp sounds as good as many of you say it does it might be the first really good sounding US vinyl issue of the album EVER. Was the new lp pressed in the UK? Does anyone know?

Along these lines, there is a 96/24 'drop of the original UK pressing floating around cyberspace, it might be fun for one of us to compare the 96/24 remaster to this UK (vintage vinyl) needledrop.

13. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge will chime in here because I'm not that savvy to answer your questions with any real authority. I would say that I'm doubtful that my system would be adding the extra signal in the upper frequencies. If it were then would I expect to see that additional signal applied uniformly across all of my audio rather than at certain areas. Perhaps my thinking is flawed in this but I'd need someone to explain why it wouldn't be uniformly introduced into the audio.

It's also possible that, as you suggest, it is introduced during the mastering/manufacturing of the LP. As I think more about it, it's possible that a digital master could still have been used, one that had a higher sample rate than the official download. Is 192kHz the current professional standard for digital mastering?

As for other LPs with known digital masters, I have also dropped the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (I think that's from a digital master.) but I'd have to go back and look at those files. I don't recall there being any sudden cut off above the half-sampling frequency.

I'm also a little jaded on those who totally dismiss digital masters being used for vinyl. While I'm sure there are examples of bad results from it, I don't think it can be assumed that all digitally sourced LPs will sound awful. To me, the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" is easier to listen to from the vinyl than the CD.

I think each LP needs to be assessed for it's own merits. Even if this new ATMP vinyl is a digitally sourced LP, I don't hear anyone complaining about it so far. I look forward to more input from those listening to the vinyl.

-DLedin

14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

picked this up today and it's about as good as I can imagine a digital verison of the album ever sounding

that being said, after having not listened to the album in close to 8 years, I forgot just how much filler is on the last third of this thing

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

16. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I will share my story today downloading and burning and listening to this lp today. I have never downloaded any music on my PC ever and I figured I would just wing it and try it. I spent Friday clearing out my main sewer line with a power auger rental so I figured with the money I saved doing it myself I would purchase this download.

1. The download went great in about 90 minutes. I have IE 8 on a Broadband connection. I also got mp3 downloads with my purchase.

2. I sucessfully burned my lossless files to CD. The sound on the CD is wonderful, this is the only way I have listened to this on my main system tonight, as I will explain next.

3. I sucessfully burned the 24/96 files to DVD using Windows Media Player. Then to my disappointment my DVD Audio Player and my Blu-ray player won't play the disc. But both of my computers will play them, (a desktop and a laptop). This is a Memorex DVD+RW disc.

4. I'm just wondering why this disc plays on both of my computers but the components on my main system spits them out like posion? The components are a Denon 3910 Universal player and a Panasonic DMP-BD80. I would love to hear the DVD 96/24 version on my main rig now.

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It can't play Wav or Flac:confused: :laugh:what aload of crap, throw it in the bin and get a decent laptop IMO

18. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I still think this album could use a remix. Songs like Wah Wah & Let it Down
    (as examples) have so much going on that it sounds a bit messy whereby I think a remix could clear it up.

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You have to author either a DVD-V or DVD-A disc, which Windows Media Player doesn't do. It wounds like you just burned 24/96 WAV files to a DVD, which makes a DVD data disc, not playable on a DVD player (but off course your computer doesn't care)

20. An iPad can play WAV and ALAC (similar to FLAC). :agree:

21. DanFromIndy

DanFromIndy Forum Resident

You need to make a DVD-V of the files. lplex is a free tool that will make one for you. Here's a recap of I wrote a guide up for the Band on the Run release, and it applies for this one too.

BotR guide

For All Things Must Pass, it is easier, you just need to follow this:

How to burn the files to DVD-V:

If you take these 96k/24-bit files and burn the audio to a DVD using the following steps, you will have a DVD that will play on a standard DVD player and retain the 96k/24-bit resolution of the files.

To do this, on Windows, you will need to download and install the following (free) software:

lplex -> http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/
    imgburn -> http://www.imgburn.com/

-Install lplex
    -COPY the ATMP 96/24 .wav files into a folder (c:\ATMP for instance), drag the folder with the .wav files and drop it on "lplex.exe". A Command Prompt window should open and you should see lplex process each file. This process will take several minutes.
    -Once the process is complete (you should see "Press a key..." in the command prompt window), there should be a ATMP.iso file in the lplex folder - this is the file you want to burn to a DVD.
    -You can burn the .iso image to a DVD using any software (Nero, etc) or just use imgburn (above).

Once you've burned it, if you "browse" the disc on your PC, you will not see "01 I'd Have You Anytime.wav", etc, instead you should see the folders "AUDIO_TS", "VIDEO_TS", and "XTRA". Now you have a DVD that will play on any of you DVD or BluRay players.

22. Also, no iPod to date can play 24/96 files. 24/48 is the limit.

23. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I wonder how many of these 96/24 downloads are going to sell?

24. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

amazon uk now has the 3 lp set for 70.99 (pounds) and the other vinyl
    version is again unavailable. Still shows as my pre-order (for 11.06) with
    a ship date of 12/5, but would not be suprised if it is cancelled.

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Not quite sure why Amazon has priced it at £70.99 when HMV has it at £49.99.

My £12.99 order with HMV has been 'deleted' although is still showing as 'open' (?) and my £12.99 Amazon order is still showing, although it now links through to 'item not available'.

We'll see. HMV did ship me Band On The Run deluxe for £11.99 the other week. It was a mistaken pre-order on my part (thought I was ordering the 3-disc edition) and a massive pricing mistake on their. By the time I realised what I'd actually ordered, and at what price, I let it run and eventually received the deluxe edition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.