Band on the Run Reissue (Standard/Deluxe Editions) Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Question: On the bonus CD of the 2-CD/DVD set of the BOTR reissue, where is the second version of "Country Dreamer" from? It says: "One Hand Clapping" version, but it is NOT in the DVD film. Was this recorded for "One Hand Clapping", but deleted from the final version? Maybe this question is answered in the Deluxe Book, but I do not have that. Thanks, Arnie

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

You are correct, sir.

3. dabl

dabl Senior Member

How do they handle the video material with the downloadable version?

Is there an .iso of the dvd or are there seperate video files and if so in what format?

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I believe it comes from a portion of the original film that was recorded by Paul solo (contrary to the liner notes) in the backyard of Abbey Road Studios. The portion featured Macca and acoustic strumming his way through a random selection of tunes (including, interestingly, the unmistakeable riff of Great Day).

This bit of footage was apparently supposed to be included in OHC but was extracted to form a short film called, appropriately enough, The Backyard.

Quite why it is listed as "from OHC" when it patently wasn't included in the released print (or indeed, why the video element wasn't included in the DVD) is anybody's guess.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Many thanks!! Arnie

6. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

No. That gets sent to you by mail, in the form of a dvd (along with the two audio cds). The codes for the downloads, in this release, are seen as a type of "bonus" for more convenient listening purposes...

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks so much Ken.
    Is there a difference in compression between WAV and FLAC files?

8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Are the unlimited (uncompressed) 24/96 WAV files of 2010-remastered "Band On The Run" also available from HD tracks.com?

9. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Thanks, but one of the all digital download options does appear to include the video files from the dvd.

Here's a post on paulmccartney.com from a user talking about burning a dvd from them.

I'm still curious about the format and/or quality of the downloadable video files.

10. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

FLAC is a lossless compression format (like MLP for DVD-Audio), and the resultant sound is the uncompressed PCM audio. The FLAC files from HD Tracks should sound identical to the WAV files from Topspin/the McCartney web site.

Regards,

12. ifoundout

ifoundout New Member

Thank you for posting the wav forms. The uncompressed hi-rez one clearly is maximized, as you can see the clipping. That is unfortunate and defeats the whole purpose of releasing a hi-rez "audiophile" version. I guess I'll be skipping this one.

13. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

You need to zoom right in to determine actual clipping or not.

14. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

Exactly. With a waveform of the whole album, you're looking at a 40+ minutes of music. As D'Aversa pointed out, even some of the masterings that are highly praised here (eg, Beatles remasters) will look like that once you zoom out.

15. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I listened to a couple of tracks from the 96/24 unlimited flacs today. Man does it sound good!

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Which picture are you looking at?

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

My waveforms of the two 24/96 limited (lower)/unlimited (upper) don't look clipped at all!

Attached Files:

18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, just for the record: None of the files are clipped at all!

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Actually, "Helen Wheels" sounds a lot better opening the bonus disc. They did us a big favor by including the song, but not putting it on the album proper. It makes both sound better.

Only the people (in America) who bought the single disc get shafted (but only slightly).

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

How would I downsample the files to 44.1/24? I know that people have explained it on here time and time again but I have always skipped past them, thinking that they were of worthless knowledge to me.

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Supermd,

Are you on a PC? If so, download the free player and frontend Foobar (www.foobar2000.org). Then, go to the components page (http://www.foobar2000.org/components) and download and add:

- the ALAC decoder
    - HDCD decoder 1.5
    - Monkey's Audio Decoder 2.1.4

I also suggest the DTS, AC3 and the Foo dsp Resampler 0.5.5 SRC (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373), the DVD-Audio decoder (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/), plus ASIO support 1.2.7 if your soundcard does ASIO.

You will need the Foo dsp Resampler 0.5.5 SRC to do your downsampling. It's the closest thing to the iZotope SRC you will get, and it's free.

Installation instructions for the Foo dsp Resampler 0.5.5 SRC (you will need the SSE version or the regular one depending on the chip on your computer):

Once you have installed Foobar and copied all the above components to the 'components' folder in Foobar (Program Files > foobar2000 > components), run the program.

Then, go to File > Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager and select 'Resampler SoX' from the list on the right and move it to the 'Active DSPs' list on the left by clicking on the left-pointing arrow. Next, select 'Resampler SoX' on the list on the left and click on the button on top of it called 'Configure selected'. Choose the following settings if you sound card supports 96kHz:
    · Target samplerate: 96000 Hz
    · Quality: Very High
    · Passband: 95%
    · Make sure that 'Allow aliasing' is not selected
    · Phase response: Linear

Then, click on OK.

Now load in your songs unto Foobar.

Select one of the songs on the screen and click the right button of the mouse. In the open window choose 'Convert' > '...' This will open a window called 'Converter Setup.'

Under 'Current Settings' click on Output format and choose either AIFF or WAV; click on the 'back' button and then go to 'Choose destination.' There you can specify a folder and the way the file will be named below in the 'Output Style and Name Formatting' section. Hit 'back,' go into 'Processing' and choose 'Resampler SoX' from the list on the right. As before, move it to the 'Active DSPs' list on the left and configure it as before but choose '48000' Hz or 44.100 Hz as your target resolution. Then hit 'Save' > 'Save as new' and give your preset a name you can identify later.

Now, whenever you want to downsample a file to 48 or 44.1kHz - depending on what you chose for your preset - you only have to select a song on your playlist, right click, choose 'Convert' and the name you gave to your downsampling preset and it automatically downsamples a copy of your file to the directory you chose in your preset.

If you are on a Mac, perhaps someone else here can guide you through the steps. I am sorry, but I cannot help you with Mac because I am on a PC.

Hope this helps. :)

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I see a little bit on the limited version.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I am having trouble finding "Resampler SoX". All I have is "Resampler (PPHS)". Also, I do not see where it says "(Program Files > foobar2000 > components)" All I can do is click on "foobar2000" and run it. I see no "components" location.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Also, I have done the best with what I have, given the information you have given me. I have still been able to convert a file from WAV to AIFF at 24/48. Was that the objective of this exercise? To be able to convert these 24/48 AIFF files into apple lossless to retain that bit rate? If so, mission accomplished.

25. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

This is the location of the folders of the installed Foobar program. You will find them inside the Program Files folder. The name of the Foobar program folder is, of course, foobar 2000 and inside that folder is another one called 'components.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.