New Michael Jackson album: "Michael," 12/14/2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Was he going to play new (unheard) songs on the This is It show?
    After hearing the new single, I can hardly consider it "better" than anything he's ever done, it sounds like "Jam" (from Dangerous) to me. It's MJ, period.

2. macabrae_j

macabrae_j Active Member

I'd bet mine, and other's lives, that that is Michael Jackson singing. Sounds like there's a filter on his voice though. I like the single a lot. It seems to borrow some horn bits from "Jam", and I hear a little "You Rock My World" in it. Although I will admit, as a fan, it's VERY predictable sounding. Like they went by a formula for making a Michael Jackson song. Like someone said, "Great! now have the ending go Boom! and don't forget the invincible sound effects."

Edit: Stan posted as I was typing my post, but I think he's hit the nail on the head.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No. It was going to be all hits (though I think the This Is It song would've made for a nice closer to the shows).

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Predictable is the right word for it. It just reminds me of everything I didn't like about HIStory and Invincible (let's call it New Jack Whine)

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Love Never Felt So Good would've made a great first single. sigh.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

These songs would be much better reviewed and sell more after he died. nest egg for the kids.

Expensive studios? He'd either skipped out on paying, charm a freebie or let middle eastern loan sharks deal with it.

He loved recording, but MJ wasn't too into promoting his albums. He was 90 minutes late for the 90 second press conference announcing the 02 shows.

One of the snippets sounds like Martin Bashir.

7. macabrae_j

macabrae_j Active Member

I think Michael HAD to be in the studio a lot. He often spoke about how he was only every truly happy when he was recording.

One last thing I thought about the single, I'm suddenly reminded of The Rutles. How they took some original ideas, and mixed it with slightly altered, sometimes exactly the same musical parts. Only thing is they were better at it masking it then this team, and they were comedy so it was all good. And now, I've made it a Beatle thread. I'm so sorry...

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They should've called the song Auto-Pilot because that's what it sounds like the producer and MJ are on.

9. SoundAdvice

http://www.myspace.com/jasonmalachi

The "imposter" crowd think this is the singer on the track. He worked with the producer and did some MJ sounding tracks and had Sony affiliations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKIjcuownw
    Here he is as an MJ dead-ringer singer.

I did find it odd that MJ would sing in the third person and use the word "b*tches" in the lyrics of Breaking News.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He did swear from time to time (most noticably on the HIStory album which carries the same "I'm just a poor victim, the media are bastards" vibe) so it's not out of the question that he'd do it.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Isn't it sort of weird that we don't have a tracklisting about a month away from release? I mean if you're going to announce it, why not announce the full tracklisting too? I bet they're still ironing it out.

12. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Agreed, on all points. The fake press snippets were somewhat interesting when they were used on TJ, but here it seems like a poor rehash, and a somewhat tasteless one at that.

13. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

This is not MJ : Sony got punk'd by the Cascios. This could be the biggest scandal in the music industry since Milli Vanilli.

The only place you can hear MJ on the song is during the chorus, and even that is way in the background.

My guess is that the Cascios did have some tapes of MJ singing this song, but not enough and nothing that could be released, so they got a sound-alike to sing the rest of the vocals. Cannot believe Sony got fooled. Can the album even be legally released now?

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's MJ, so yes it will be released. It's not an impersonator but I could understand why some might think it was.

15. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I'm inclined to agree with you. When I initially read the report that the Katherine and the kids were balking at some of this, I was QUITE skeptical. Now, I'm thinking they're on to something. To my ears, this doesn't really sound like him at all. He would have gotten a little crazier on the ad-libs at the end. He always had a history of doing that but not here. It also just sounds deeper and less nasal than he was known to sound. I dunno about this...

Ed

16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Not really. What would be the import of telling us. The very idea that it's an album full of MJ stuff we haven't heard is likely enough to sell the record. They don't need to give us a track listing. Also, it only makes the fans thirstier.

Ed

17. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Who is in charge of compiling this release? Are there going to be competing posthumous releases from different parties? I remember hearing there were new songs on his hard drive that the Jackson family "took". Who owns these? The family, SONY or some other third party? Does SONY still have a record deal now that Michael's deceased?

I am thinking MJ's unreleased songs could be lumped into four categories:

• Unused songs from previous album's recording sessions.
    • Different\alternate recordings of previous released songs from said sessions.
    • New studio recordings since his last released studio album. Would SONY own these?
    • Home recordings\demos. Who would own these?

A lot of questions but I am trying to get a feel for what these releases are supposed to represent (and how they are compiled).

18. SoundAdvice

If a producer who did some incomplete tracks with MJ, then hands SONY recordings he says are both complete and the real MJ then who can disagree?

The Hendrix estate once bought a "forgery" recording. There's been bonus tracks on reissues of other artists that session musicians have no recollection and even claim to have never heard before.

Also keep in mind MJ himself used to use a lookalike during illusions onstage to cover costume changes and maybe as a car decoy.

19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

MJ must have enough material...that Sony could use stuff in which there is no question as too who is singing?
    This looks like a Jim Hendrix// Nirvana situation with the estate/songs.

I just have a real hard time believing that Sony could be snookered into buying a fake. MJ must have tons and tons of decent material that could be mined for a new release. I am not a huge fan, but this just strikes me as sad sad sad.

20. phish

phish Jack Your Body

whoa, first postumus release and already some drama.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Let the questionable releases of "newly finished" previously unreleased material begin!

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It somehow seems appropriate, doesn't it? :)

23. SoundAdvice

Remember the Anka publishing drama a year ago for THIS IS IT?

24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I look for a at length article in a new Rolling Stone...soon

25. phish

phish Jack Your Body

paul anka? no, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.