Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok since I have the Carnegie Hall set already, I am passing.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Yeah, but you don't have it unedited & in sequence, unless you're talking about a boot.

I was not very interested in this at first, but I'm starting to warm up to it, actually. I am spending way too much lately on new releases like the Lennon, Dylan, Hendrix boxsets, etc.
    What the hell's another $25 ........

3. street legal

I was just listening to the Carnegie Hall disc from the 25th Anniversary box set, & on the second to last track, "Guitar solo", Martin's guitar seems to have what sounds to me like a liberal amount of digital delay added to the signal. To the best of my knowledge he did not use a tape echo machine, & the delay repeats sound way too "clinical" to be hall ambience.

I also feel that the mix in general is not very good on this disc, & hope that it can be improved upon on the upcoming Deluxe Edition.

4. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Anybody pick this up yet?

5. genesisfan

genesisfan Forum Resident

I really hope the future remastered Thick as A Brick won't be the same as current version. One of the worst sounding JT remasters. Way to much no-noise

6. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Good call. You won't be disappointed.:thumbsup:

7. vinyl diehard

The 25th Anniversary edition isn't as bad. Have you tried it?

8. Isn't the 25th Anniversary remaster the only TAAB remaster out there?

9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

My copy is on it's way.

10. vinyl diehard

I thought it was remastered again when the 2001 Tull remasters came out.
    I might have been mistaken.:D

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The hypothetical future remaster or has any anouncement been made or even rumour been heard?

12. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Grabbed the only copy in the Best Buy near me today. I won't have time to listen to it
    for a couple of days due to other commitments.......

13. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I'm shocked that Best Buy would even carry this, but glad they are... even if just one copy in a store.

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I like this re-issue, and I'm wondering if they didn't adjust the EQ on the 2001 remaster, because it sounded a little bit better, although I haven't done an A/B comparison. I just sat back and kept listening, I was enjoying this album all over again. I can say there's no reverb added to "17", now at its full-length again, and although I didn't play the entire Carnegie Hall concert, I didn't hear that awful digital echo that's on the 25 years box set.

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

It's been a while since I've listened to the 2001 remaster but I seem to remember some noticeable noise reduction. Can you detect it on this reissue?

16. Lord Hawthorne

I'd have to take a closer listen, but it seemed that there might be some, although not so obvious as the 2001 version.
    I might have missed it, I was doing things while it played.

17. street legal

I'm wondering just how "edited" disc 2 (CD) is. Can someone who has picked this up post the total time of CD 2 & then the total time of the DVD, minus the Ian Anderson interview segment? I'd really appreciate it. :)

18. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I was supposed to get my copy today, but a bloody postal strike started last night in Finland, so i won't probably get it until next week. :realmad:

19. Lord Hawthorne

The in-between song banter is very edited, but all the music is there. It runs a little over 79 minutes. The DVD is about 105 minutes, I think.

20. street legal

Excellent! Thank you very, very much. :)

But one thing is a little unclear ........ are you saying that out of a 105 minute concert, that about 25 minutes of it is between song banter? I know that Ian talked quite a bit onstage in those days, but that seems like an awful lot. Are you sure that the 105 minutes does not include the interview segment?

21. Lord Hawthorne

The interview segment is a separate track, about 45 minutes with short snippets of songs.
    The concert has a lot of Ian-talk in it, as well as some tuning at the beginning and the crowd calling for an encore.

22. street legal

Wow, the interview is that long? I was thinking it would be 5 - 10 minutes at the most. Very interesting. I'll definitely be picking this one up. Thanks again! :cheers:

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Are all the mono tracks previously unreleased on CD?

24. Lord Hawthorne

Essentially. "17" has only been fake stereo with added reverb and only about half as long, "Living In The Past" has never been in mono on CD. The mono mixes of "Sweet Dream" (which has a different vocal) and "Driving Song" remain unavailable on CD. As for the John Peel songs, I'm not sure which ones were on the "20 Years" box set right now.
    The Reprise promo spots are in stereo for the first time.

25. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I don't quite understand this release, if you have the remaster then you are pretty much covered. You get some bonus tracks and the live concert disc but I would have been interested in buying it if it had the album itself in 24/48 or 24/96. I don't see the point of the concert in 24/48. Still a great album though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.