Beatles Box Sets Price Watch (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I figured that Amazon.Ca states 10-12 weeks for Standard International Shipping, but when I proceeded to checkout the final delivery time was re-set to 30-40 weeks! Even delivery time for Expedited Shipping has changed to 7-12 weeks. Looks like a bad joke, can anybody comment this based on real-life experience? What can I expect?

2. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

what are the tell tale signs of a fake box?

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Ordered it Wednesday, standard shipping (it said to expect it 26th November).

They sent it DHL. It had a track your package thing, which I checked today. It is here! In two days! Looks like DHL tried to deliver it this morning (I wasn't expecting it).

Oct 15 2010 09:09:00 AM Bristol GB Held for payment
    Oct 15 2010 08:42:00 AM Bristol GB ---
    Oct 15 2010 08:39:00 AM Bristol GB Out for delivery
    Oct 15 2010 06:54:00 AM Bristol GB Arrival Scan
    Oct 15 2010 04:32:00 AM East Midlands GB Departure Scan
    Oct 15 2010 01:09:00 AM East Midlands GB Arrival Scan
    Oct 14 2010 09:19:00 PM East Midlands GB Completed customs clearance process
    Oct 14 2010 07:47:00 PM East Midlands GB Arrival Scan
    Oct 14 2010 06:19:00 AM Cincinnati Hub OH US Departure Scan
    Oct 14 2010 03:02:00 AM Cincinnati Hub OH US Arrival Scan
    Oct 14 2010 02:09:00 AM Cincinnati Hub OH US Completed customs clearance process
    Oct 14 2010 02:09:00 AM Cincinnati Hub OH US Arrival Scan
    Oct 13 2010 10:56:00 PM Hamilton CA Departure Scan
    Oct 13 2010 10:53:00 PM Hamilton CA Arrival Scan
    Oct 13 2010 08:50:00 PM Toronto CA Departure Scan
    Oct 13 2010 08:48:00 PM Toronto CA Arrival Scan
    Oct 13 2010 06:38:00 PM Toronto CA Shipment received by carrier

4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Looks not bad at all, thanks, order placed! Estimated delivery Nov 30 2010 - Dec 14 2010. :wave:

6. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Sorry to quote myself.

Finally, I sprang for the mono box today, for CDN$107.01 from Amazon.ca. I chose expedited international shipping which is only slightly more than standard. I've been given an expected delivery date of Oct 27 to Nov 5 which is 2-3 weeks. The total cost with delivery is CDN$118.49 which in sterling is £76.69. That's a simply amazing bargain. On top of that there will be import VAT at 17.5 per cent and a customs clearing charge of £8. Since they charge the import VAT on everything including the shipping charge and even on the customs clearing charge, the total cost will be £99.51. So when I said the cost to Brits would be "way below" the £100 charged by HMV in August, the difference actually turns out to be 49p!

I still think that's an amazing price and there's even the small chance that it will slip through customs without incurring import VAT. I'll probably never even open it but I just feel it's one of those things that every household should have, like the Bible and Shakespeare.

7. back2vinyl

I don't think they tried to deliver it - it says "held for payment" which means they're holding it in the Bristol depot until you've received their demand for £22.82 in import VAT and customs clearing fees and coughed up!

But it was incredibly quick.

8. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Mine took 2 days - DHL - from Canada to Kentucky. No surcharge or whatever.

9. back2vinyl

Doh! Mine's been sent by DHL too. The good news is, I'll have it in a couple of days, and it might even arrive undamaged. The bad news: there's no way it will escape the customs charge if coming by courier. Regular post, occasionally: courier, never.

10. KimiAndRitz

KimiAndRitz Forum Resident

I know this is a really really stupid question, and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but is the Canadian release of the Mono box any different? (Anything printed differently, etc?)

I'm considering getting a copy for someone who is really picky about little details like that.

Many thanks in advance!

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Can't answer this definitively because the only boxes I've ever seen were up here in Canada.

But, there is nothing on my copy that indicates where it came from other than the "Printed in Japan" notation on the bottom right corner of the black card on the back of the box.
    There is nothing at all that would identify it as having come from Canada. Could the entire world's supply be coming from the same factory?

12. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Mine has been shipped via DHL too, 2 days earlier than expected.

14. heavysoulbrutha

heavysoulbrutha Forum Resident

Damn, thanks for the tip. Just ordered the MONO from Amazon Canada. BARGAIN!!!

15. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Mine from amazon.ca did not have the OBI Tom Perry illustrated - just a square sheet on the back. I'm keeping this one sealed so no idea about the contents.

[​IMG]

16. heavysoulbrutha

I would assume that only the ones for the Japanese market have the obi. My friend got one from Best Buy the day it was released and it just has the one sheet on the back as well.

17. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

That's true. Like you said, all mono boxes were made in Japan, but only the mono boxes for the Japanese market had the OBI's.

18. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

This video explains very well the differences:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPBHT_O2_NU

I'm looking forward for your feedback about this box sold by amazon.ca: counterfeit or not!
    If there are no paper inner sleeves inside, it would be a bad sign...

19. heavysoulbrutha

YIKES! I would hope that Amazon wouldn't be selling fake ones. Will keep you posted.

20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I bit on the mono set from amazon Canada as well. Hopefully it's legit as I really don't think Amazon wants to be known as selling counterfeit items.

21. heavysoulbrutha

In my experience they're pretty good at sorting out problems and giving refunds. I'm hoping it's all legit instead.

22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Agreed and I can't believe they haven't spot checked a few to ensure they are the real thing.

23. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

I ordered with expedited international shipping. The box was delivered by DHL within 48 hours to germany! It has the square sheet on the back, no obi.

24. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Which is normal, don't worry.
    So first question: is there any paper inner sleeve inside these mini-lp's?
    Until now, i've never heard about fake boxes with paper inner sleeves...

25. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I am 100% confident that the amazon.ca sets are legit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.