King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

"Dispatching soon" from Amazon UK....

2. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I got them this morning and my first positive note is about the external jackets: they are of the right size this time!

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

How are the new mixes? I read from Fripp's diary that the guy who mastered the 5.1. thought that Pictures of a City was the best surround mix he had ever heard.

5. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

'Islands' arrived from Burning shed today another great example of how good surround can be.

The whole package is also a greate xample of how to re-release old stuff. david Bowie should take a look and hear how good a surround mix can be and see what you can actually add to a DVD old mix new mix 5.1 mix and so many extras

6. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Good to know - I struggle with the others.

What track on Wake is fake surround (due to missing tapes?) - is is Devil's Triangle? Seems to me I read this somewhere, maybe Fripp's blog?

edit - found it here:
    http://progrockreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/obsessive-look-at-upcoming-king-crimson.html

"As with the new stereo mix, the original tapes for Devil's Triangle were never found. The 5.1 version will feature an upmix. What this means is Steven and co. will use fancy computer software to create a "fake" 5.1 mix from the two-track master. It's hard to explain how it works without getting too technical, but considering how far this technology has advanced in the last five years, this should be a decent sounding alternative to doing a full-on 5.1 remix. "

How does it sound?

7. Music Geek

I had a cursory listen to the main tracks of both albums in 5.1. The mixes sound similar to the first batch. I know this will open a can of worms here but I must say that I had a hard time to adjust the volume because of the extended dynamic. These mixes will please those at war against compression but I can't listen to them unless I am alone at home. The "devil's triangle" first 3 minutes were barely audible at the volume I played the albums!

8. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

Yes, I had a similar experience with the volume control on a quick flick through last night.

I only listened briefly to the 5.1 DVD-Audio versions, both sounded incredible. Looking forward to a proper listen.

9. Music Geek

Have you paid attention to the sound of the strings in Islands? I find it distorted and difficult to listen to at loud volume. When I have time I want to check against the old CD and see if that's the way the strings were originally recorded.

I'd say that In The Wake Of Poseidon's arrangements are probably better suited for the 5.1 treatment (Cat Food is very nice!) even if, as I said, I don't understand why within the same song one minute you have drums that play as if your head is stuck in them and the next minute the drums are somewhere in another room. I am not too keen on that type of "fake" dynamics.

10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Listening to 'Poseidon' Right now excellent 5.1 mix agree Cat Food is pretty special great stuff. Very ahppy bunny right now.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's Devil's Triangle indeed. I haven't the disc yet so I can't comment on the sound.

12. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The dynamics on "Poseidon" are tremendous. As you mention it is hard to get a good volume on one song without causing certain parts of another song to blow your "brains" right out of your ears.

I was listening to "Poseidon" and could barely hear Peace-a beginning so I turned the volume up so I could hear it very nicely.. meanwhile Pictures Of A City comes on and it is loud, but I leave it until Fripp's guitar gets SO LOUD my wife (who never complains about how loud I play music) comes running downstairs to curse me out.... "It's too damn f***ing loud... are you f***ing crazy". So I tell her the it will calm down soon - which it does. But then again at the end of the song it gets SO LOUD... she nearly kicks me out of the house. She says..."Headphones...NOW...." so I turn it down, since you can't listen to a discreet 5.1 mix on headphones. So Cadence starts and I have to turn the volume back up to hear it nicely.... and yes part 1 of The Devil's Triangle is nearly inaudible unless you crank the volume, which then ends up having you blow your ears out when Groon in 5.1 comes on.

It's not because it's mastered poorly... it's because it is mastered "right".. with intense dynamic range left intact.

I guess I have to make sure my wife is out the next time I listen to "Poseidon" in 5.1. :agree:

13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

If I've said it once, I've said it twice...

Women and Crimson don't mix.

:D

14. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

[​IMG]

15. Music Geek

But people buy music to play it at home, not in a mastering studio.... and I won't even say that actually people today buy music to play through earphones!

IMO this type of mastering is not made for the end user.

To answer the questions about The Devil's Triangle: the mix doesn't sound as discreet as in other tracks but it has some slight rear channel effects; that piece of music is kind of 10 minutes of a bubbling "bolero" growing in intensity but with very little happening so to be honest I think that even if they had used the multichannel master the result would not be very different.

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

For those who require less dynamic range, why don't you just opt for the DTS track and apply compression via your prepro?

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I don't require less dynamic range... my wife does. :laugh:

I was loving it... sounded great until my wife had me playing with the volume knob so that she wouldn't get "upset".

18. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

True - by experience . :laugh:

19. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

tlo the exception of this one (giles mac donald)
    my wife loves it !!!!!

20. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

to the exception of this one (giles mac donald)
    my wife loves it !!!!!

21. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Pre-ordered Islands and Poseidon from Amazon. At the time, they had a US release date listed. Now it says release date not set, anyone have any ideas as to why? Is DGM just not shipping to Amazon yet?

22. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Unless their standards have changed recently or a receiver manufacturer has gone rogue :), unlike with Dolby Digital, DTS Inc. doesn't allow dynamic compression to be used with their codec.

23. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I love this comment, I must quote you in the future!

24. Runt

Runt Senior Member

"21st Century Schizoid Man" at high volume clears the room of a wife every time. :winkgrin:

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I find Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part I very useful in terminating relationships with girlfriends.

If they're particularly stubborn, I move up to Part IV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.