John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010 (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Pics Box Part I

Here you can see some fast Pics of my Box.
    In the Hole of the Box is enough Space to put in "Double Fantasy-Stripped Down" in, if you buy them separatly, like i did.

Attached Files:

2. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Can someone who has any of these new releases compare with their ears and not their eyes? I want to hear how they sound, not how the wave files look. Thanks in advance..

3. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Pics Box Part II

and some more

Attached Files:

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Thanks for the pictures Roland S. !!

5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks Roland! How are the booklets? Do they have separate historical and recording details like the Beatles ones? Any cool unseen pictures?

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

What's the story regarding the "online" card?

7. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Thanks for the photos, Roland.

Complaint mode on.

So now "Mind Games" has a photo of J&Y that should normally go with Yoko's "Approximately Infinite Universe" ?
    Another one in her rewriting of history...

One thing I don't understand here.
    Last year, EMI went to great lengths to have the Beatles albums reissued with beautiful Parlophone (or Capitol in the case of "Magical Mystery Tour") and Apple labels.
    Why couldn't the same be done for the Lennon reissues ?
    I can understand it may not have been possible to have Geffen and Polydor labels for respectively "Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey", but then, even these appeared in the artwork of the 2000's remasters/remixes.

Lennon CD's don't look complete without the white apple for "POB" (or the greyish rotting apple for you Americans), his head in the apple for "Imagine" and normal green apples for the 1973-75 albums.
    Even the Japanese mini-LPs of a couple of years back had this Apple design. (And they had "Live Peace In Toronto" too).

Complaint mode off.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Sorry, I do not understand this. What history is being rewritten?

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Question - forgive me, but I haven't read all 200 pages of these threads yet. Is there any music unique to this box set that I can't get by buying the albums indivudually?

I'll hang up and listen, thanks.

10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Regarding "Love", what version finally appears on the new "Plastic Ono Band" CD?

From the wonderful "Eight Arms To Hold You" book:

LOVE

a.1 Commercial Version (LP) John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (Apple SW 3372)
    a.2 Commercial Version (CD) John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (Parlophone CDP 7 46770 2)
    a.3 Commercial Version (45) 'Love' (Parlophone R 6059) (UK)
    b.1 Alternate Take Anthology (Capitol CDP 8 30614 2)

'Love', one of John's more acclaimed "love" songs, received the most commercial attention on the LP, but it was not the track issued as a single (at least, not until twelve years later). 'Love' received much airplay on stations not predisposed to playing 'Mother', and helped the popularity of the album greatly. It remains one of his standards, having been covered by many artists; after all, it requires a brave soul to take on 'Well Well Well'.
    The early Anthology take (b.1) is performed solo on acoustic guitar, unlike the piano/acoustic guitar duet with producer Phil Spector on the commercial release (a.1). The track fades in quickly and breaks down like the previous 'Isolation', then is followed by a brief bit of dialogue and straight into a complete take. This take is at a slower, more deliberate tempo than the commercial version. John still seems uncomfortable with performing the song on guitar as he is still fumbling with the chord changes.
    The album version is in mono. All CD appearances of this track (Lennon Legend, The John Lennon Collection, Lennon, and John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band) use a master (a.2) that has had an intro and outro fabricated for noise reduction purposes. It appears that the stereo remix intro was reduced to mono and faded appropriately to approximate the original version. One problem - the pitch of the new intro doesn't quite match the rest of the track. This is tough to notice unless you A/B the CD and the LP. There is plenty of tape hiss on the LP version - this isn't tough to notice. So for now the only place to get the "real" 'Love' is on a copy of the original John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band LP. The stereo remix of 'Love' (a.3), prepared in 1982 to promote The John Lennon Collection, appeared only on the single (which was released in the UK and Japan, but not America), backed with 'Give Me Some Truth'. A superb-sounding version (apparently from a de-clicked copy of the 45) appears on The Dream Is Over.

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Those pictures are great..

12. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

The original mix buries John's vocal. An unfortunate side-effect of not having George Martin around to talk some sense into him...

13. Mike D'Aversa

So the entire song was originally in mono?

Interesting. I forgot all about that. I need to crack open that book again.

Used to own the original cd. Never noticed any pitch problem on the remix (it probably only bothers people who can hear in perfect pitch).

I would imagine it will finally be mono again, as the team that worked on it are "purists"...

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The 6-track singles disc and the 13-track rarities disc are found only in the box.. By not buying the box you miss out on the book thing and whatever the online card is.

15. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

True, but there's something about the EQ of the remix (at least the MFSL version) that makes the hair stick up on the back of my neck, and not in a good way. Too bright perhaps?

16. crossroads69

I wish for the CD label art, they would've stayed consistent to the originals with the Apple logos (like the late Beatles discs). I've never owned any of these original LP's and so having the CD label art match the original LP vinly art was very cool!

17. Mike D'Aversa

I never bought the MFSL's. Didn't see the point in it. You may want to check the standard EMI remix to see if the EQ is more agreeable to you...

18. Mike D'Aversa

JOHN LENNON SIGNATURE BOX [11CD; Digital]
    Original Albums [digitally remastered]
    - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
    - Imagine
    - Some Time In New York City
    - Mind Games
    - Walls and Bridges
    - Rock 'n' Roll
    - Double Fantasy
    - Milk and Honey

Home Tapes
    1. Mother
    2. Love
    3. God
    4. I Found Out
    5. Nobody Told Me
    6. Honey Don't
    7. One Of The Boys
    8. India, India
    9. Serve Yourself
    10. Isolation
    11. Remember
    12. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
    13. I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die

Singles
    1. Power To The People
    2. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
    3. Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
    4. Cold Turkey
    5. Move Over Ms. L
    6. Give Peace a Chance

19. Mike D'Aversa

20. Mike D'Aversa

21. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

22. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I got a Thin Lizzy boxset from them. It was $20 cheaper then anywhere else I looked. It arrived in a few days well packed in perfect condition.

23. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

With the card you can go to: http://www.johnlennon.com/universe

There is a code on the card for this website.

The site is not active yet.

24. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

The booklets are good, i would say the same paper-quality like the Beatles Remasters, the Thickness of the Booklets varies from Album to Album. They have (i think new) Linernotes, Photos, sometimes Lyrics, and full Album-Credits. The Print- and Photo-Quality is mostly really good. I can´t tell about unseen photos i am not so deep in Johns Stuff like
    other Forum-Members.

Except "Double Fantasy" and "Double Fantasy-Stripped Down" all CD´s were remastered by Allan Rouse and his Team at Abbey Road. "Double Fantasy" and "Double Fantasy-Stripped Down" was re- and mastered by George Marino/Sterling Sound New York.

I have a first listen to "Stripped-Down". What a Glory! Awesome.
    John would be proud. Excellent work by (John), Yoko, Jack Douglas and George Marino.

25. crossroads69

Thanks Roland! So far, everything seems positive about these reissues (except my minor complaint about not replicating the original vinyl labels on the CD's).

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.