CDs Pressed by Specialty: SRC code?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Excellent! Thanks. I'll "dress up" the list at some point.

I'm hoping someone can provide an educated estimate as to how many first generation SRC-01 glass masters could have been manufactured. If I'm understanding the info in this thread, then we are talking about a short time frame of perhaps much less than a year.

2. Hi jh901,

Thanks for putting this list together!

From what I have been able to determine, and if the release date given by Amazon.com for my Second Generation SRC-01 copy of George Benson/Earl Klugh - Collaboration is accurate, then 1st. Generation SRC-01 pressings would have a release date no later than July 6th., 1987. Since the SRC plant began producing cd's in 1987, the maximum amount of time that 1st. Generation discs could have been printed was 187 days! If we knew the exact date that SRC began producing cd's, we could more accurately determine the number of days that 1st Generation discs were pressed. Unfortunately though, I haven't been able to find information concerning when the SRC plant first began producing cd's.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Did SRC press CDs? I thought that they only manufactured the glass master and WEA manufacturing pressed the CDs. In this case the questions are:

How many 1st gen SRC-01 glass masters were made for WEA (or the few other plants) in just a few months?
    How many CDs are made from a given glass master?

In any event, I think we'll have a short list of 1st gen SRC-01s to collect. I want to get my hands on the Chris Isaak, Dwight Yoakum and Talking Heads!

4. Cd's aren't made from the Glass Master. Instead, they are made from the Stamper, which is made from the Mother, which is made from the Glass Master. That is why on Generations 3 through to the point at which SRC was taken over, they also listed the Mother and Stamper numbers. Such as SRC-03 M2S3, which signifies the 3rd. Stamper produced from the 2nd. Mother from the 3rd. Glass Master.

As far as the number of discs pressed from a Stamper is concerned, I had once read in an old issue of The Absolute Sound (Sorry, I can't remember what issue, or what the article was about. I'll have to do some digging when I get some time to verify this.) that approximately 10,000 cd's could be pressed from a Stamper before it needed to be replaced. (Makes you wonder how the 1st. cd off that stamper sounds in comparison to the 10,000 disc from it.... With the holes in the 10,000th. copy being worn out to larger diameters, and therefor, the distance between the pits being shorter, do these two discs, bit for bit, really sound the same?)

Now the questions could be asked, "How many Mothers can be produced from a Glass Master and how many Stampers can be produced from a Mother?" Unfortunately, I don't know the answers.

5. Yes, I think it will be a short list of difficult to obtain discs that we'll be hunting down.

I recently acquired Led Zeppelin - Presence from one of the Forum members so next I'd love to get my hands on the following:

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Jimi Hendrix - Kiss The Sky
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    XTC - Skylarking

By the way, the sound on Grace Jones' Nightclubbing is To Die For!!! Beg, borrow or steal....whatever it takes, get your hands on a copy of that disc!

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

update

1st generation SRC-01 pressings identified:

AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Bad Company Fame and Fortune
    Brown, Jackson The Pretender
    Charles, Ray The Great Ray Charles
    Crosby, Stills & Nash S/T
    Doobie Brothers, The Best of the Doobie Brothers
    Foreigner Head Games
    Gabriel, Peter So
    Gramm, Lou Ready Or Not
    Hendrix, Jimi Kiss The Sky
    Isaak, Chris S/T
    Jones, Grace Warm Leatherette
    Jones, Grace Nightclubbing
    Led Zeppelin Presence
    Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
    Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy (Mfg by Record Service-Germany)
    Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti
    Madhouse 8
    Pretenders S/T
    Prince Sign 'O' The Times
    Propaganda A Secret Wish
    Sandborn, David Hideaway
    Sandborn, David A Change of Heart
    Talking Heads True Stories
    Time, The S/T
    Time, The What Time Is It? (possibly)
    Townsend, Pete White City
    Van Halen Women and Children First
    Van Halen Fair Warning
    Vanderberg Best of...
    Violent Femmes The Blind Leading the Naked
    Williams, Andy Close Enough for Love
    Yoakam, Dwight Hillbilly Deluxe
    XTC Skylarking

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I have Jimi Hendrix's Cry of Love. Matrix 1 2034-2 SRC-01

How do I know this is first generation or not?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Since the time I was first aware of this thread, I thought I should go through my collection, and identify all the first six generation Specialty CD's. I was very actively buying CD's during those years. It's quite a daunting task, as I have well over 20,000 CD's. I have been working on this task, going through all my boxes one by one, for over a year now, and I am not yet nearly done. Still, I have found hundreds of Specialty masterings in my collection already. So far, I have found 15 first generation discs, plus a couple more that may, or may not qualify. I have also found several that appear to be some sort of hybrid between 4th and 5th generations. I'm not sure just what to make of those. When I am finished, I'll post the results in this thread, assuming it is still "alive" by then.

At the same time, I am also making notes on other early US CD pressings, such as Shape Optimedia, Laservideo, JVC, Denon, DADC, Discovery, and others.

11. Hi Ralph!

I can't wait to see the list you come up with! I'd also like to see your notes on the LaserVideo pressings! Perhaps, when your ready, you could post the Laservideo info in its own thread and we could get a discussion going on those particular pressings.

After spending a full year searching your entire collection, you should only have about a thousand discs or so left to go right? Couple more days and you should be done by my estimation! Don't keep us waiting too long!;)

12. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath! I still have quite a ways to go. I have finished going through the main rock and jazz listening collection. I am about 60% done with the stuff that I don't listen to much, if at all. I haven't even started on the box sets, my blues and oldies collections, or the stuff that I have bought in the last few years that haven't been sorted yet. I just started on the promos and CD singles. I'll be busy for a while.

Y'know, when I first spotted this thread I thought to myself, "I bet I have a whole lot of CD's that would be interesting to this thread." But the sheer enormity of my collection also means that this endeavor would would take a whole lot of time. :sigh:

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It will be nice to have Ralph on board! I sort of think of these very first SRCs as the closing chapter of the "early pressing" era (roughly mid-'87). Clearly, there are many categories of collectible CDs pressed thereafter, but the early pressing designation comes to an end at some point. I was wondering if this line of thinking was shared by any of the serious early pressing collectors?

I'm hoping that Ralph might gives us a sneak preview of early SRCs that are not on the list in Post 181. These are going to be tough to track down even with a comprehensive list!!

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

New addition!

Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris Trio
    Foreigner Head Games
    Gabriel, Peter So
    Gramm, Lou Ready Or Not
    Isaak, Chris S/T
    Led Zeppelin Presence
    Madhouse 8
    Pretenders S/T
    Propaganda[/B] A Secret Wish
    Sandborn, David Hideaway
    Time, The S/T
    Van Halen Fair Warning
    Vanderberg Best of...
    XTC Skylarking

15. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

I've found an oddball:

Tom Tom Club: "Sunshine and Ecstacy" CD5 (Sire/Reprise 9 40444-2)

• Copyright/release date is 1992
    • Matrix Code: 1 40444-2 SRC*05 (7x5 dot-matrix)
    • Mother/Stamper IDs: M1S3
    • Mirror band is otherwise completely empty: no "filler", no blocks around the matrix code, no block barcode, no asterisks.
    Any thoughts?

16. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

I have several like this. They appear to have been produced between the 4th and 5th generations.

17. Interesting thread, might have to go through some of my early CDs.

18. Just came across another 1st Generation disc that isn't from a 1st. Glass Master so I wanted to update my list.

New addition listed above in red.

I may have also come across something really special but I'm trying to find out if anyone in the Long and Winding threads' Share your first-pressing CD acquisitions here! XIV section might be able to help verify what exactly it is. You can see the post for it here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=216841&page=33

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

New addition!

Benson, George In Flight Cat# 256 327 Mfg in Germany
    Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris Trio
    Foreigner Head Games
    Gabriel, Peter So
    Gramm, Lou Ready Or Not
    Isaak, Chris S/T
    Led Zeppelin Presence
    Madhouse 8
    Pretenders S/T
    Propaganda A Secret Wish
    Sandborn, David Hideaway
    Time, The S/T
    Van Halen Fair Warning
    Vanderberg Best of...
    XTC Skylarking

Calling out Ralph and others to help complete this list. There couldn't be too many more. Right?

20. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

21. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

So far I've found in my collection:

1 = Warner Bros., Sire, Reprise, Giant, Maverick, Vapor
    2 = Elektra, Asylum
    3 = Atlantic, Island

22. As Lazlo stated just follow which label family they were under. For example, Geffen was distributed by WB pre-MCA/Universal, etc.

23. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I noticed that my Phil Collins Face Value USA pressing (WEA Manufacturing) has different SRC matrix number not mentioned on this thread. I start to read about SRC codes few weaks ago and i found this thread. I have problem with identify master generation of this issue and period of release.

[​IMG]

I have two WEA pressings of this issue. One that i know came from the 3th Generation of Glass Master and matrix is: 3 16029-2 SRC-21 M6S9 (picture above)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second one i have has a bit different matrix number: 16029-2 SRC-13 M6S1 The matrix number start without 3 - identification label and there is master and stamper addition [M6S1] (stamped at 6 o'clock). So i don't know exactly if this is the first glass master generation issue or maybe 3th? Or something between?

24. bukbuk

bukbuk New Member

MORE

matrix 81683 -2 SRC-01

Attached Files:

25. Hi Smooth,

Your disc is from the 3rd Generation. It's interesting to see a variation like this but they do show up from time to time.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.