Obsessed with Spine Artwork?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPagan, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I learned my lesson a while ago, and now, my entire collection is in an inner room that is usually dark. Those early CBS spines could fade completely white if kept in direct sunlight.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah..

Attached Files:

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

same here.

4. I can't tell from the picture if this is a first pressing or a remaster - maybe if you could show the other side. :D

5. :laugh: ... now that is some mighty fine spine art and a catalyst for many stringed instruments amongst many other wonderful things.

I was going to post a collection of Ozric Tentacles CD spines butt, well ... maybe tomorrow ... :winkgrin:

6. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

I slip my obi's around the booklet spine, otherwise i'd have to cover all my cases with plastic seal.
    Spines on the shelf English-side out

7. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I'd like to see an entire thread with just pictures of Dennis' collection...and I helped a little...but seriously, me love spines that are the same too, luckily my Kansas - Leftoverture mini-LP box has all the same spines...

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Your sound and visions says legacy on the spine IIRC that "division" of sony first started in the mid-late 90's?

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I obsessed once, and that was for Be Bop Deluxe. It took me about a year and a half to track down the one I was missing, Live! In The Air Age. Across the top the spines spell BE*BOP and the bottom spells DELUXE. :cool:

10. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Let's not forget Jerry.

[​IMG]

11. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13 Thread Starter

So, there is a red-text version? Do you own it?

I'm confused now. Amazon lists two separate issues -- one from 1996 and another from 2008. Which one do I have?

12. Macca

Macca R'kid

I have, of course, thought about this as well, and I came to the conclusion that I had to study Japanese. :thumbsup:

13. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

No need to learn Japanese. You just have to learn one of its syllabic alphabets. It'll take a couple of days or so, depending on how much time you have on your hands.

Attached Files:

14. JPagan

Also, Living Colour's Time's Up -- white letters on violet background, same typeface.

15. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Re: the Audio-visions disc with the black typeface - I'm almost sure there is only one version. Most Kansas albums on Kirshner/Epic/CBS saw a very early release on CD, hence the red lettering on the spine. Being a big fan of the Audio-visions and the Vinyl confessions albums I remember that I had to wait a very long time before these finally got a CD release - this was no sooner than in 1996 or 1997. There was no earlier edition of said discs.

Both titles were deleted a few years later, but obviously the Audio-visions album got a re-release a few years ago. I never encountered this new edition in a shop, but looking at the price and the omission of bonus tracks I'm almost certain that it's a straight re-release and not a remaster. So it probably won't have a different lettering on the spine.

To complete your collection, you might want to buy the Vinyl confessions album as well (even though it's OOP and prices are pretty steep). At least you'll have TWO discs wih a different spine sticking out, which makes the looks of the spines just a little better. :)

16. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

OMG
    These threads are really insane!)))
    Now I'm also obsessed with spine artwork.

17. JPagan

Thanks a lot for the info, el greco. :righton:

Being a graphic designer, my solution to the issue was to create my own custom spine artwork for Audio-Visions to match the previous ones:

[​IMG]

I printed it at (what used to be) Kinko's, cut it and wedged it between the case and the tray liner. I'll post a photo of it when I get home – it came out looking really good.

I've gone on to create custom spines/tray liners for several of my CDs to either correct issues or replace the originals with something nicer. Later on, I'll post pictures of those too.

18. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Knowing katakana and how it works is enough a vast majority of the time. There are cases though where the title has been translated and is written in kanji and hiragana.

Take Springsteen for example:

明日なき暴走 (Born to Run)
    青春の叫び (The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle)

19. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

I usually like my spines to reflect the artwork of the front cover, but they don't have to match. For instance, the recent Genesis remasters all have title treatment on the spines, and look very nice put together.

20. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Oh, sure. Another prominent example is 『狂気』 ("madness"), i.e., The Dark Side of the Moon. And if you look at older LPs, they used to do that sort of thing a lot. But in all but a few cases it's been phased out, and if you're looking for Help! it'll be 『ヘルプ!』 these days, not 『4人はアイドル』 ("the four men are idols" ... sounds better in Japanese).

At a minimum, katakana should always suffice to read the artist's name.

I love looking at the translated Japanese song titles on old issues. Seems like every other song in the '60s was called "[Something or Other] of Love." "You're Going to Lose That Girl" became "Advice of Love," "I Can See for Miles" was "Magic Eye of Love," "Do It Again" was "Revival of Love." The translation of "Substitute," "Pinch Hitter of Love," remains my favourite.

21. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Wow - terrific solution. And probably the only way to make your Kansas collection look good on the shelf! :)

22. JPagan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ta-da!

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Being almost 50 I have decided I don't have the time to learn Japanese. Here's my solution: my Cd's are organized by artist, then release date. So, I take 4 or 5 seconds and pull out the disc from the rack, see the cover, and voilá: there it is. Problem solved. :righton: What a weird thread...:D

24. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Cool, but the catalog number and label font does not match the others.

And why does Kansas come after KISS, but before Journey? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.