Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This Keith Jarrett's Bach CD is one of the worst sounding CD's I have ever owned - the mike placement was no doubt horrible. The piano sounded very distant and was drowned out by the viola. :shake:

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Actually listening to our finds.

HUH did you say something? Couldn't hear ya! [​IMG] :laugh:

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Finishing up one more tonight:
    • Schumann: Scenes from Goethe's Faust - Claudio Abbado/Berlin Philaharmonic, Tölz Boys' Choir w/ Bryn Terfel, Karita Mattila, Jan-Hendrik Rootering, Barbara Bonney, Endrik Wottrich, Iris Vermillion, Brigitte Poschner-Klebel, Susan Graham, Hans-Peter Blochwitz, Harry Peeters
      [Sony Classical 1995 2CD, OOP, live recording, part of Sony's exclusive BPO series pressed on 24k gold CD's, one of a handful of recordings of Schumann's sole oratorio, Produced by Michael Haas]

Attached Files:

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Sorry! Was cuddling up to DG Karajan's mid sixties Tchaikovsky symphonies 4-6.
    Great interpretations and decent remastering. :thumbsup:

5. Graphyfotoz

6. Anyone of you familiar at all with a French label called FORLANE (collection Le Beau Musical)?

Yesterday I have spun an LP recording in memory of the recently deceased pianist extraordinaire Yvonne Loriod. Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony, by the Orchestre symphonique de Radio-Télé-Luxembourg, Louis de Froment cond., with Yvonne and Jeanne L. It is a live recording made in 1982. I don't know if it's an analog or digital recording, but the mastering is digital (PCM Telefunken MX 80 it says on the cover).

And this is a really good recording and piece of vinyl! One of the very most quiet vinyl pressings I have ever owned!

I was not holding too much hope over it when I bought it (cheap!) - just wanted to hear a new performance of the piece - because I had just never seen before the label in question, because I hate some of those live recordings (>>cough<<), and because of that any-old-photo-of-the-composer/conductor-will-do cover "artwork" ...But some of those forte passages are truly scary!!

7. coopmv

Now playing CD8 from this set ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this twofer, which arrived a few weeks ago from MDT ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this twofer ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Now playing Vol. 2 of 6, which arrived a few weeks ago from Presto. Well, Vol. 1 was not much of a match against the old version by AAM with Christopher Hogwood and Emma Kirkby ...

[​IMG]

11. Graphyfotoz

I have seen some works around by Mackerras and SCO......hows the combo and what works are best?

12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Everything Mozart on Linn.

13. coopmv

The Beethoven Piano Concertos are quite good, though I cannot say this SACD set provides some definitive performance. I think George is better qualified than me to judge, but he may not have this set ...

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have only heard his Beethoven symphonies and I don't like them at all.

15. coopmv

I do not have the Beethoven Symphonies cycle by Mackerras to make any judgment. Performance of piano concerto IMO requires a delicate balance or the orchestra may drown out the piano. I have heard some recording where there was indeed such problem ...

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

More often I find that they put the piano too much up front on concerto recordings, but yes, the opposite happens too.

Mackerras has two Beethoven cycles. I have only heard the first one.

17. coopmv

Now playing SACD1 from this brand-new set, which just arrived from MDT two days ago ...

[​IMG]

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I bought this one as soon as it got out and like it a lot. I was always fond of the Piano concerto #5.

Who is this MDT and why is he sending you all this great music? :winkgrin:

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

20. coopmv

This British etailer gives us a better deal than JPC, a German etailer. Shipping from the UK is much more reasonable for some reason. :winkgrin:

21. coopmv

Now playing SACD2 from this brand-new set ...

[​IMG]

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

How do you like it, Stuart (esp. compared to Herreweghe's first)?

23. coopmv

Sigiswalkd Kuijken took a somewhat different approach. I think his orchestra was even smaller than Herrweghe's. I only have Herreweghe's second and presumably his second version may be more polished, as most conductors are when they get older. The choral group also may not be all-male in this case, but I have not had the chance to confirm, i.e. read the booklet. For me, I still do not have an overwhelming favorite for this work - among the 14 versions I have ...

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My favorite is Herreweghe's first version. I also have his second, and one by JEG. I had it by HvK, Klemperer, and Richter, but I sold those years ago. Though it wasn't the first one I heard, Herreweghe's first was the first one that spoke to me.

It looks like this, if anyone's interested:

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

So you like Herreweghe's first version better? Is it still available? I think there is room in my collection for versions by HvK, Klemperer and Richter. I have all of them plus version by Jochum and Mengelberg. I hope to get to the SMP in that 60-CD Harnoncourt Complete Cantatas set, which I just started listening to a few weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.