Blu Spec Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Wanting to dip my toe into every conceivable format, can anyone recommend a title ? I've looked through Amazon's selection of 354, and I already have most in some other format. Thanks ! :wave:

2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Can - Monster Movie (Japanese mini)

The Blue OBI also matches the colour of the album cover nicely!

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

None...save your money!:cheers:

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm often surprised at the time and effort other people put into being negative around here. I mean, what does the person who posted the above get out of writing that? More importantly, what is he really giving to the forum readers? Nothing.

Lowrider75 and old school like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I trust Dennis' opinion. Do yourself a favor and buy SACDS' instead.

7. Dennis Metz

Thanks for your constructive feedback. Let me add that IMHO Blu-spec and for that matter SHM CDs are pure marketing. Sorry for posting:cheers:

danielbravo likes this.
  8. Dennis Metz

and BTW Blu-spec is Redbook...it's not a format!:cheers:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

blu-spec recommendations

I've been told by the owner of collectors store in the Chicago Western suburbs that the Japan Blu-spec disc of The Clash London Calling sounds very warm and detailed. It blows away all other CD versions,including the excellent sound on the 25th anniversary DE. The London Calling blu-spec sound similar to the original UK vinyl from 79.

danielbravo likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I have that Blu-Spec Disc and can concur. It is really, really good.

danielbravo likes this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Don't be sorry for posting, it's all good.

Do you have any SHM-CDs or Blu-Spec discs? If so, I'm curious why you feel there's no value to them. Did you really hear nothing at all better (or worse)? I mean, I think SHM-CDs may not be much more than CDs that will outlast us all due to the ingredients used to make 'em, but I really do hear differences in Blu-Spec CDs.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought the blu-spec sampler (the one that had one redbook CD and one blu-spec CD containing the same tracks). They did sound different - but when I ran them through EAC, they had slightly different peak levels and waves looked different. I am not certain, but I suspect that there might be some EQ tweaking going on.

13. Dennis Metz

I have a number of them...different does not mean better:cheers:

14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

:agree:

15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

It sounds definately more dynamic than the standard cd remaster.Sad that it went oop even prior to original release date! Here's hoping the SHM-SACDs of Universal Japan sell well-maybe it will light a fire under Sony's butt to release single layer 2cd SACDs once again.$45 isn't cheap by any means but at least those who love albums such as this will have a choice.

16. tomd

tomd Senior Member

So which ones do you have-exactly?

caupina likes this.
  17. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Dennis,

I don't know if you've done any comparisons of Blu Spec or SHM CDs with their "plain" counterparts. I've done comparisons of both and was quite surprised by the degree of difference, in a quite positive direction. These formats get appreciably closer to whatever master was used to make them than most other CDs in my experience.

In fact, I found the differences so obvious, I suspected different masters. So I extracted samples from all the discs and put them to the null test. In a null test, files are brought into a digital audio workstation (I used soundBlade, which is one of the apps I use in my work). The files are synchronized, to the sample and the polarity of one file (both channels) is inverted. Then both files are mixed together. Any differences will show up as content in the result. If the files are truly identical, the result will be dead silence as the "mirror image" of one file completely cancels the other.

In the comparisons I ran, I got dead silence every time, showing that both the Blue Spec and "plain" CD (and in the other case, both the SHM and the "plain" CD) were made from the same master. Yet the differences in sound between the two versions of each type was, as I said, so obvious that I suspected a completely different mastering, almost like quite pronounced EQ changes.

I don't know if all Blu Spec (or all SHM) use identical masters to their plain CD counterparts. I would suspect this is not always true and in those cases, it would come down to the mastering one prefers. The Blu Spec and SHM after all, can only offer a "clearer view" of whatever master was used to make them.

Just my perspective.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

18. Dennis Metz

I guess I'll have another go at comparing...Barry:cheers:

19. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Back to original reason for this thread-I have the following Blue Spec titles: The Clash London Calling,Sade-Diamond Life (where is Love Deluxe and Lover's Rock-Sony?),Prefab Sprout-Steve Mc Queen,and The Stone Roses-Best of.All sound fantastic except the Stone Roses (somewhat compressed but still sounds better than the standard cd)

danielbravo likes this.
  20. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Does anybody know if Boston's Third Stage and Walk On which were recently re-released in Japan as SHM-CDs are also SACDs?

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm almost certain they aren't SACDs (unless they're part of the SHM-SACD program coming out soon.) FYI: BOSTON and their second album were released as Blu-Spec CDs last year, but are, sadly, out of print now.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I guess you've gotta be Barry Diament to get some folks to be courteous. :wave:

Anyway, I found Mr. Diament's deductions to be right on the money. Of course, I'm not surprised. Actually, I haven't read a better, more concise description of listening to and comparing SHM-CDs and Blu-Spec CDs anywhere else on this forum.

23. Myke

Anyway, I found Mr. Diament's deductions to be right on the money. Of course, I'm not surprised. Actually, I haven't read a better, more concise description.[/QUOTE]

Enough to convince me to pull the trigger ! Just ordered ELVIS : 2ND To None. :righton:

24. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Friends, the key is the mastering. If it uses the same mastering as the plain version of the CD, I find the Blu Spec/SHM version gets you closer to that mastering. If it uses a different mastering, the results are going to depend on how you feel about that mastering job.

The point is, Blu Spec or SHM don't make anything "better". They just give you a clearer view of the source used to make them.

If the masterings are the same, I'd want the Blu Spec or SHM (if I was going to listen via a transport or player). If they're different, I'd want the mastering I prefer, regardless of the manufacturing recipe.

I said "if I was going to listen via a transport or player" above because that is where I find the sonic differences will manifest themselves. Assuming both versions are from the same mastering, if you're going to extract the disc to hard drive and listen via a "music server" app (e.g. iTunes, etc.), the plain CD will give you exactly the same results as the Blu Spec or SHM.

Happy Listening!

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

25. Myke

I will be listening to Elvis in my listening / living room via a Harmon Kardon receiver, 5 Yamaha speakers and subwoofer, and likely through my Samsung Blu Ray player, or Sony SACD player...my ONLY options (car has a cassette deck, office has nothing ). :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.