Dionne Warwick box. And, Steve' favorite Dionne Warwick Rhino compilation!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Dionne Warwick is in dire need of a comprehensive box set including all of her singles, and using mono mixes where applicable. All we ever get on the market are greatest hits comps where there are mostly only stereo mixes or remixes. Most seem to skip her Warner Brothers years, where she cut some fine singles.

What do you all think?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

I really like the sound of her 60's recordings on the Burt Bachrach box set. Rich, layered, textured, yet powereful Stereo versions on that set, many of which, I will discuss in Part 2 of my Definitive Stereo Singles thread later this week. I agree, in that, a Dionne box set would be a purchase in my home. Good idea!

Bob

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Sign me up for a Dionne box. Right now, I don't have a lot of her in my collection (just a couple singles on comps) - I would appreciate any recommendations on how to best collect her currently, assuming the box set doesn't come together in the near future.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Like I said before, try and find that first Rhino CD! Should be cheap, used out there.

Everyone wants the later remixed version!

5. Mike

Mike New Member

I did a search and I can't find this cd mentioned - maybe it was on the old board? Can you list the specifics again please? Many thanks!

6. Steve Hoffman

Like I said before, try and find that first Rhino CD! Should be cheap, used out there.

Everyone wants the later remixed version!

"Dionne Warwick: Anthology 1962-1969" Rhino CD

RNCD 75898 Released 1986.

This is the version that Bill Inglot couldn't wait to replace with his remixes, which are great, but too much echo (IMO).

These versions, warts and all, have amazing dynamics and pacing.

Try and find it!

Dave S likes this.
  7. Mike

Mike New Member

Will do! Thanks!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Might be a hard time finding that one! Mike Callahan had this to say in his BSN "Oldies On CD" Book, Quote: "Some of these sound like they may have come from records, especially "Anyone Who had A Heart" and several are very hissy. It's probably significant that Rhino later put out a different Warwick collection, from better source material, and deleted this one". End Quote.

Many people took this publication as "Bible" and dumped many a fine CD, only to find out the replacement was not better! I always trust my own ears! Although sometimes we get fooled...

9. Steve Hoffman

Are you kidding?

Right from the two-tracks. GREAT sound.

Mike, Mike, Mike!

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! Yes Steve, A direct quote from page 258....2nd Edition of "OLDIES ON CD" 1994.

11. Grant

No disrespect to Mike C., but he does have this thing about tape hiss. He doesn't like it.

I'm glad I bought the OLD Rhino version years ago! It has more hiss, and has that annoying DC offset clicking getween the tracks, but it sounds good! To be fair, the remixes come quite close, enough to fool many people.

12. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Steve,
    Regarding Rhino's Dionne Anthology, how does the 2LP version compare to the CD?

13. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

How does the 1989 release Dionne Warwick Collection - Her All-Time Greatest Hits Rhino R2 71100 1989 compare?

According to AMG the Rhino that Steve referenced came out in 1991 and was then deleted.

Both have the exact same song titles and production people.:confused:

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Bill Inglot remixes for stereo - now those were the days, huh? :rolleyes: Couldn't pry stereo from him now if I wanted to (do I have to whine about the boxed Nugg.... - I'll stop!) :D

15. Steve Hoffman

The Rhino CD I have is from the middle '80's. One of a series that Bill Inglot did at that time.

Most folks prefer the remixes Rhino did later. I like the earlier quirkier versions, you might not....
    :)

16. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I have the 1989 Rhino and it has always been one of my favourites.

Strangely however it's a particularly fussy CD and mistracks on some portable players.

I haven't heard the Anthology that Steve talks of but I have several other of the Anthology series that Rhino released around the mid 80s. They're a bit short on tracks but they do sound good. The Shirelles is one of my favourites but I think it's a remix. The Gene Pitney ain't so good though.

17. Grant

Steve, I had no idea the later CDs are remixes. That extended version of "Don't Make Me Over" was always suspect, though. It irritates me to hear it because it's not how it was back in the 60s. But, you do have to admit that Inglot did a fine job on those remixes, despite the differences. They fooled me.

I do wish someone would release those very unique mono mixes, though.

18. Steve Hoffman

I agree. They are great remixes, but I love the originals, warts and all.

I don't think the hit mono mixes have ever been released on CD. Although, the old 1980's D.W. Rhino disc I have has the MONO "Message To Michael" on it. He couldn't find the stereo version at that time.

19. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Steve, your comment about the MONO "Message To Michael" allowed me to confirm that the Dionne Warwick Collection - Her All-Time Greatest Hits Rhino R2 71100 1989 I have is NOT the same as the Anthology that you has since mine has the STEREO version.

Thanks. I'll keep looking.

20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I recently got the 2LP set Dionne Warwick Anthology 1962-1971, Rhino RNDA 1100, from 1984. This is the same set Steve recommends on CD, but with 28 great songs (the CD has less). After much comparison to the 1989 Rhino CD the Dionne Warwick Collection, the LP set is much preferable to me. Dionne's vocals have a purity the CD lacks. Vocals and certain instruments have been "jacked up" on the CD. Now, the good news! www.whirlindisc.com has two copies left of the 2LP set, and also have the CD listed. The vinyl quality on the LPs isn't the greatest, but it has more songs. Act fast, I doubt they have too many copies of the CD, either. Total cost was $27.19 for the LPs, less than a buck a song. A desert island disc!

21. Mike

Mike New Member

I just got Anthology with the original mixes an hour ago in the mail. I'm "working" so I could only A/B "Don't Make Me Over" and it's definitely different. For one thing, the horn section is hard right on the original mix, making it much more noticeable than on the remix. Can't wait to listen to some more. :) Thanks for the info Steve!

Btw, Whirlin Disc did not have any of the cd's in stock when I tried them. I got mine on ebay from Switzerland.

22. Steve Hoffman

Reopened.

A reminder!!

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have a 2 CD set dated 2011 from Rhino. I don’t see anyone credited for the remastering. Sounds pretty good but have yet to hear the one Steve recommends!

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I have the 2000 Very Best of so I assume they have remixes?
    It says “sound produced by Bill Inglot” in the booklet.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The 23 disc Japanese box is the motherload!

cost a small fortune though.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.