Jethro Tull's "Nightcap" 2 CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

Jethro Tull's 2 CD set "Nightcap - The Unreleased Masters" is just about the only title by Tull that I do not own. I understand that disc 1 is aborted "A Passion Play" era material & disc 2 is outtakes from 1973 - 1991.

Tell me a bit about this release. I'm wondering if I should take the plunge or not. :)

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Meh. But I'm not a Tull completist so take that with a grain of salt. I like the first disc cause it's PASSION PLAY era stuff but the rest...

3. If I recall well, there remains on it several tracks from the "classic era" that are not part of the extras featured on the individual remastered albums of the regular catalog. Among these is a real fantastically heavy one, "Left Right", that you may want to check out on YouTube. Many of these particular tracks from the Château d'Hérouville sessions of '72 feature modern flute overdubs.

As for the other disc, even I, a quite moderate fan of the modern era Tull, find many interesting pieces in it. So this is one Tull purchase that I have never regretted. But do check which tracks might be or not on the remastered CDs first. I don't own many of these remastered ones myself yet.

4. Plunge by all means. The pre-Passion Play material is prime Progressive Rock mode Tull; very strong stuff and essential. The 2nd disk is a mixed bag, but I think about half the songs on it are great, and many can be found nowhere else.

yesstiles likes this.
  5. street legal

Myself, I ditched the remastered CD's a few years ago after I reaquired the original Chrysalis CD pressings. Yup, I used to have all of them, got rid of them after aquiring the remasters, then rebought them again! Thankfully, I'm done playing that game at this point. :)

I have the "20 Years of Jethro Tull" box set, which includes most of those bonus tracks anyway, & then some (I did keep the remaster of "War Child", which has a few bonus tracks that are not on the "20 Years" box set).

6. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I can't say much other than that.

7. street legal

That sounds pretty good to me, Nick. I think you've sold me on it! :cheers:

By the way, just who is that in your avatar? :love:

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

A must if you're too Tull.
    You will read that most love the first disc.

1. First Post — 1:54
    2. Animelée — 1:40
    3. Tiger Toon — 1:35
    4. Look at the Animals — 5:09
    5. Law of the Bungle — 2:31
    6. Law of the Bungle Part II — 5:25
    7. Left Right — 5:02
    8. Solitaire — 1:25
    9. Critique Oblique — 9:02
    10. Post Last — 5:35
    11. Scenario — 3:25
    12. Audition — 2:33
    13. No Rehearsal — 5:12
    disc 1 time: 50:36
    http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=jt-night
    http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=47723

I love disc two, too.

1. Paradise Steakhouse — 4:01 WarChild remaster
    2. Sealion II — 3:20 WarChild remaster
    3. Piece of Cake — 3:40
    4. Quartet — 2:44 WarChild remaster
    5. Silver River Turning — 4:51
    6. Crew Nights — 4:33
    7. The Curse — 3:38
    8. Rosa on the Factory Floor — 4:38
    9. A Small Cigar — 3:39 Too Old To remaster
    10. Man of Principle — 3:57
    11. Commons Brawl — 3:23
    12. No Step — 3:38
    13. Drive on the Young Side of Life — 4:12
    14. I Don't Want to Be Me — 3:29
    15. Broadford Bazaar — 3:38 Heavy Horses remaster
    16. Lights Out — 5:16
    17. Truck Stop Runner — 3:47
    18. Hard Liner — 3:47
    disc 2 time: 60:17

Keith V likes this.
  9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I bought this for £5 in Fopp a few years back and keep meaning to dig it out for a listen. Only recently did I get Passion Play and have enjoyed it so maybe its time to dig this little collection out.

10. street legal

Great info, thanks TooTull! :cheers:

tootull likes this.
  11. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

12. The beautiful Amanda Kimmel from "Survivor" :goodie:

13. street legal

Aha ........ nice! :)

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've always enjoyed this collection. I do not enjoy everything Tull puts out, either -- by a long shot. But this one's good.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Disc One is beyond essential! Disc Two not so much.

16. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I didn't know this. :mad:

... or I did and have forgotten.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, unfortunately some long stretches of disc 1 have Ian playing flute where presumably there would have been vocals if the songs had been finished. Still a worthwhile purchase for Tull fans.

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

If you're a Tull fan you should have it. I can't say all of Side 2 is good but most of it is worth it. I held off for years buying it. I'm glad I did!

19. I actually think the flute overdubs are fortunate because 1) there were no finished vocals to use, 2) Ian's vocal abilities were severely limited post-1986 and vocal overdubs would never have matched the vintage 1973 vocals, 3) Ian's flute playing on the overdubs was exceptional and really add value to these tracks.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I agree...well worth having:cheers:

21. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I know there are some folks who have a more authentic resequence (and will likely chime in), but I found this worked for me. "Tiger Toon" is the same instrumental that opens PP, and "Scenario" clearly states that "the Passion Play's begun" which, though a weak start, is undoubtedly where it should start.
    The animal suite which inspired "The Hare" is moved to the end (i.e. "the animals at the ferry crossing") and the whole shebang fades on a cool instrumental.

3. Tiger Toon — 1:35
    11. Scenario — 3:25
    12. Audition — 2:33
    13. No Rehearsal — 5:12
    7. Left Right — 5:02
    8. Solitaire — 1:25
    9. Critique Oblique — 9:02
    10. Post Last — 5:35
    1. First Post — 1:54
    2. Animelée — 1:40
    4. Look at the Animals — 5:09
    5. Law of the Bungle — 2:31
    6. Law of the Bungle Part II — 5:25

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I must say that "Sailor" (a Chateau piece only available through unofficial channels) is a haunting song.

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Here's an old post I sometimes pull out when discussion of Chateau D'Isaster comes up:

I think I've figured out how this album was to be constructed, giving that the order presented to us on "Nightcap" certainly is not the original order or complete recording. Fans know that in late '72 Tull recorded 3 sides of a double album before scrapping the project. Ultimately, Ian only allowed about 70% of it released on Nightcap in 1993 and presented it in an order better suited to his critical and subjective ear. Another 10% was released on the Warchild album in 1974. Because this music is my favorite of all Tull music, except for A Passion Play Side 2 and Baker St. Muse, I've been searching for the identity of this album for a while. This is how I think it was meant to be:

Chateau D'Isaster

Side 1 (22 min)

1. Prelude
    2. Scenario
    3. Audition
    4. Skating Away (On the Thin Ice of the New Day)
    5. Sailor
    6. No Rehearsal

Side 2 (22 min)

1. First Post
    2. Animelee
    3. Tiger Toon
    4. Look at the Animals
    5. Law of the Bungle
    6. Law of the Bungle Part II
    7. Bungle in the Jungle (without strings)

Side 3 (21 min)

1. Left Right
    2. Solitaire
    3. Critique Oblique
    4. Post Last

Side 4 (?? min)

Unrecorded

Well, having the bootleg that contains the very rare additions Prelude, Skating Away, and Sailor, as well as the altered versions of Scenario, Audition and No Rehearsal all helps to make more sense of the album. It also provides more enjoyment and gives a better cohesive feel to listenings. The 3 recorded sides all have similar lyrical content and musical segues. Side 1 carries the God and Theatre concept, Side 2 has the Man and Animal concept, and Side 3 has the Man and Critic concept. Side 4 - who knows? I believe that Bungle in the Jungle was written for this album, but possibly not recorded until the Warchild sessions. So it may have been placed on Side 4 if they hadn't abandoned the project. Obviously, since it contains the word "bungle" like two other songs on this album, it must have been meant to be placed somewhere here. Side 2, at only 18 minutes (without Bungle in the Jungle) and the side containing the other "bungle" songs is also a real possibility, so I included it there. Personally, since Side 1 of A Passion Play contains many musical elements of this album, I like to think the last 19 minutes of A Passion Play (Side 2 following the Hare story) would be the perfect Side 4 to Chateau D'Isaster. If presented in 1973 as a double album with the above order and Side 2 of APP as Side 4 of Chateau, it would have been the ultimate and by far best Tull album; a true prog classic!
    Some of you have been used to hearing Scenario/Audition/No Rehearsal all in a row and at the end of the album, but I think they were originally to be placed near the front. Ian I'm sure knew that fans were familiar with those pieces from the 20th Anniversary box set, so he placed them at the end of the cd; also to leave the end on a better note, since they actually never completed the end of the album. Also, Scenario and Audition are connected without a true break, whereas No Rehearsal does have a second or two of silence. Additionally, each Side I've presented has songs that contain no audible breaks between them (for the most part), but do have breaks between the proposed Sides. So that reinforces my position as well.
    Well, hopefully I've piqued the curiosity of those who love this period of Jethro Tull and the rest just delete the overly long thread. Any thoughts anyone?

-thanks

qtrules likes this.
  24. I have never heard the bootleg recordings of the original sessions, but I agree entirely with you. Though I always felt there was something a little fishy about those flute parts - like some of those modern era simultaneous vocal idiosyncrasies ("rrrooohs.." "shooohs..."), it actually took me a long time to realize that these were overdubs. For me, on a piece like "Law Of the Bungle, Part II", they worked perfectly! This is the kind of music that I liked so much on first hearing, that I remember exactly where I was standing physically when it first "kicked in"!

(spoken intro) "This is Law Of the Bungle, Part II. By the way, I'm Martin Barre. But sometimes I am an owl. And when I feel romantic, I like to dress up in men's clothing." :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.