Rhino Handmade: Chicago Transit Authority-Quad Mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cincyjim, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I know where you're coming from, and I agree with you in principle.

However, I put a lot into setting up on DVD-A and SACD. I'm a lot less trusting of blu-ray. I've not seen very many blu-ray music discs. Is it taking off? I'm not a Neil Young fan.

Added to which there is a lot of pressure to take on board streaming audio - again I'm not yet convinced. I have a mistrust of hard drives and don't relish the idea of having ethernet in the hi-fi - it's bad enough having it at work.

I have already a DTS conversion of the quadraphonic CTA. It sounds pretty good - indubitably this official release from the quad mastertape will sound a lot better, so I'm looking forward to it.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I like your attitude and open mind. I also have a lot invested in SACD and DVD-A, but I recently installed an Oppo 83 Special Edition into my system. I like the sound of the new uncompressed, high resolution lossless CODECs, they are very similar to DVD-A, and not far behind SACD. I do not know the future of home audio, but I am limited in my funds so I am standing back from streaming audio technology right now. I am open minded to it, but I just can't take the leap right now. As for this release, I have to make a stand somewhere, I will boycott this release because of its lack of a high resolution soundtrack. That is my choice, and I guess that I have been kind of vocal about that on this thread. I am a BIG supporter of surround sound and quadrophonic sound, but I have to pass on this release.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Lossy and high-rez are not mutually exclusive. 24/96 is high-rez, lossy or not.

Is HDTV somehow not high-rez (and inferior to SDTV) because it uses lossy compression? Somehow I think few people would make that argument. Yet it's an exact parallel to the discussion at hand.

4. Toka

Toka Active Member

Ordered my copy (thanks for the coupon code!).

Looking forward to this one. Even if it were a "true" high-res release people would still bitch, so really, who cares. Some of the arguments presented here are comical on several levels.

5. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

I'm doubly stunned.

One, that they're releasing this at all. A new, real live original quad mix release of a classic title. Glory hallelujah!

Two, I am stunned by the negativity that festers on this board, which I used to frequent a lot, and now almost never. I wouldn't have come back here if it weren't for this title being released. I knew there'd be a thread about it. I'm just flabbergasted about all the complaints.

All I can say to those complaining about the format is that your marginalize the value your own opinions by not seeing the forest for the trees. You can't be happy for the people on this board who are damned excited about this, and you have to let everyone know that you're not happy. Think about that for a minute.

I feel sad for you. I really do.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Just like the prices for older CD's in classifieds, EBay, Gemm etc. Nostalgia is expensive in a lot of these cases but $30 is not bad for a new limited release.

7. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. :shrug:

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Brilliant! :righton:

9. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Thanks! :D

I happen to be buying it. :agree:

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Not only am I thrilled, I want more.......quad!!! :)

11. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but I like the name Rhino came up with for this format (dvd + quad), if that is their intention: "quadio". :thumbsup:

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I'd like to see some examples of complainants' letters/emails/faxes sent to Rhino. Talk without action = nothing.

13. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

I hope by "action" that you don't mean people complaining to Rhino.

What Rhino is doing is making a bunch of people really happy. I don't get why some people can't just leave that be.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with expression. Rhino can handle some customer feedback, I think. Pro and con.

15. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

:thumbsup:

16. I think this is great!!! I'll be buying it, with hopes that it will open the flood gates. :agree:

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

True....I hope people would refrain from complaining.

My tact would be to thank them for the effort and politely ask if they might consider including a 2 channel mix, or whatever one's preference may be, in the future.
    Offer it as a suggestion in a positive way.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Been there, done that.

Attached Files:

19. The problem is that people on the board are complaining about something that they have not even listened to!

By the way, I ordered mine last week and I am sure that I will be very pleased and happy when I listen to it. I love plain old 2 channel stereo, but well done surround sound is a big thumbs up :righton:

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

But this applies only to the 'lossy' crowd. Those who are in a funk that no stereo mix was included should let Rhino know. No sense voicing an opinion here if one doesn't go to the source with it. But then again, a contrary opinion here gets all kinds of responses and creates a stir for one to occupy himself -- it's likely a one-way dispatch the other way. PS. I have stated several times in this thread that the release of this DVD is a good thing, a very good thing! But I do not understand arguers arguing endlessly for the sake of arguing. Same with threads about 'Is this CD still scheduled for release?' when there are 1-800 numbers and people standing-by who can answer the question in less than a minute. Overseas no excuse -- Skype.

21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

One of my fav. albums.
    I'm waiting for your sound report, too. Don't worry, I'm not trusting just you, Pug. :laugh: Hey Pug, what year was this album released?

22. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Is the term "Quad" derived from Quadimoto? :laugh:OK,I'll stop being Punny!:rolleyes:

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Good point :agree:

I should also mention that though I would have liked 24/96 stereo, and will mention this to Rhino, I still plan to buy it.

I feel their effort deserves my financial support and dts will probably sound fine on my 5 .1 channel TV system.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Wow, I guess that paying for the fast shipping has finally paid off, as this came this afternoon, via UPS.

I did a quick spin in BOTH Dolby Digital and DTS. I really didn't notice much difference between the two. Naturally, comparing the DVD-Audio surround of Chicago "V" and "II", against the Quad mix of this new disc, isn't really fair, but I must say, that the first time that I spun Chicago "V" on DVD-Audio, it about knocked me out, at how really full and wonderful it sounded. The bass alone on that DVD-Audio disc in surround was breathtaking to say the least. This new disc just doesn't have that great "bottom end", as either of those DVD-Audio discs do, but again, it really isn't fair to compare them, as they truly are two different birds.

The bottom line for me, after only one "skip through" spin, in each format, of this new disc and it pretty much ends up as I've felt about most other QUAD mixes that I've heard, that they are far less than spectacular, as compared to the more recent 5.1 channel mixes that were done, of other old albums, on both SACD and DVD-AUDIO discs.

All-in-all, this disc is a fun little QUAD experience, with decent instrument separation in the four main channels. I'm sure that the older, original "QUAD" fans will love the sound on this disc, but for a guy like me, who jumped on board with surround, around the time of the early DTS release of Steely Dan's, "Gaucho", this QUAD disc seems to really be missing a channel or so.

Chris C

25. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Was just gonna ask if anyone got their's.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.