List of and market values of MCA "Ultimate MasterDisc" Gold CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I know that MCA made the following "Ultimate MasterDisc" Gold CDs:

Buddy Holly "Greatest Hits"

Patsy Cline "12 Greatest Hits"

Jimmy Buffett "Greatest Hit(s)"

What others were in the series?

Any of them sound very good or great?

What are the market values of particular titles (they seem to be pretty rare -- hard to find any sales on-line to gauge market values)?

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Jesus Christ Superstar - A Rock Opera
    John Barry: Somewhere In Time - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Steely Dan: A Decade Of Steely Dan

I have all of the above and "Buddy Holly" and "Patsy Cline".

I am satisfied with their sound.

Jesus Christ Superstar - A Rock Opera (good to very good)
    Somewhere In Time - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (very good)
    Steely Dan: A Decade Of Steely Dan (very good)
    Buddy Holly "Greatest Hits" (very good)
    Patsy Cline "12 Greatest Hits" (good to very good)

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Lynyrd Skynyrd "Pronounced" (1st album)

5. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Have the Buddy Holly disc and the Neil Diamond. Prefer not to play them: slightly hard, mechanical, low bit-resolution sound. Some years ago I thought they sounded ok, but not today.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The ones I had I have since gotten rid of, they sounded terrible.

Spaceboy likes this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

No "Market Values" for any of the titles listed above? :confused:

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Which ones did you have? I thought my Skynyrd was pretty good (have'nt listened to it in a while though...)

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have a few of the MCA gold discs. The Neil Diamond is not a favorite. I greatly prefer the original MCA His 12 Greatest Hits CD with the silver cover. Jesus Christ Superstar sounds O.K., but I have no other versions for comparison. Although I'm a big fan of Steely Dan, I have not picked up that gold disc because all I've read is that it is bright and harsh. The original MCA disc suits me just fine.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I still have a few of these. For the most part, of the discs I've heard- they pretty much sound analytical and bright. They're worth 15-25 to a collector IME

11. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Yet I have always found 12 Greatest Hits to be an enigma. They originally included live versions of several songs - something I don't like in a GH album. The Gold CD rectified that problem as I recall, but wasn't that later changed back during a subsequent remaster? (Strangely, they didn't include the live version of "Cherry Cherry", which would've made sense!)

Dexter

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is. I sold it back.

:agree:

13. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

MCAD 10951-Jimmy Buffett- Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in Attitudes.

For a short time ABC (before everything folded into MCA) cut some masters for standard LPs at half speed. This album was one of them, and it sounded great on vinyl (Glen Meadows @ Masterfonics, who did the half speed cuts IIRC). I remember not liking the first MCA CD-it just sounded dull and flat with no air (compared to the LP), or the two-fer (paired with Havana Daydreamin'), which was not really any better. The Ultimate MasterDisc nailed it for this album. It sounds way closer to that original LP cut.

14. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

No one has mentioned the gold Who's Next. Guess no one has the energy for another 15 page discussion of what is Steve's version, what's not, and the virtues or lack thereof of all other editions.

A dealer at the local record show had both the gold Who's Next and a new-at-the-time expanded silver version. I gave my brother the gold. On the other hand I kept the Lynyrd Skynyrd "Pronounced" gold and gave him the latest silver version.

All these were bought from the same dealer, as well as Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits gold and Steely Dan Decade gold. All had sawcuts into the barcodes. I think I paid $10 to $12 for each.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

16. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I have the Joe Walsh, but it will be going up for sale after losing a shootout to the AF version.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have the Jimmy Buffets, Changes in Latitudes and Greatest Hits. Sound pretty good but slightly bright in spots. The Steely Dan sounds very good but a slight tendency to brightness as well.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got WHO'S NEXT and STEELY DAN GOLD on MCA gold CDs. Very bright sounding, both of 'em.

20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The Steely Dan does have a guitar solo at the end of FM rather than the sax solo.

21. tmazz

tmazz New Member

Aluminum MasterDiscs???

I have twice come across discs in original Ultimate MasterDisc cases that have the same stock number screened on the disc (and laser eched into the inner groove) as the 24K gold discs, but are definitely aluminum pressings. (Jimmy Buffets Changes in Attitudes and the Jesus Christ Superstar 2 disc set) Did MCA ever issue non-gold releases of the discs in this series or am I looking at some kind of bootleg copy? (The discs are definitely pressied manufactured discs and not CD-Rs)

Spaceboy likes this.
  22. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I have Legend by Poco and am very satisfied with the sound.

Spaceboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.