Clark Terry & Thelonious Monk: "In Orbit", (Which CD to get, no vinyl reissue?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tannat, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tannat

tannat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I used to have this LP. However, I haven't been able to find it for years so I decided to get a new copy.

It does not seem to have been the subject for any vinyl reissue. I find this surprising since it is a really good record. (Read between lines: Excellent candidate for Steve and/or Kevin Gray).

I seldom buy new CDs but I searched and saw in a thread from 2007 that the basic OJC cd is good (There also seem to exist a newer 20 bit remastering and a Japanese pressing (Universal)). Is the OJC still the one to get or is this a new remaster by now?

Thanks

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I dont see a problem with the OJC, the only version I've had.

3. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i have it on the complete monk box which sounds fine to me. is this the original ojc mastering?

it is a really good album.

4. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Can't say as I haven't heard any other versions of this title. I purchased the original OJC CD after Steve recommended it. Sounds great and can be had for very little $.

5. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I'd love an OJC vinyl reissue of this!

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Hmm. I bought this on (at the time still in print) OJC vinyl back in the early/mid 90s. Pretty flimsy pressing, poor quality wax, but it was cheap and it still sounds nice...

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yeah in general those cheapo thin OJC pressings sound great. I believe all analog.

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, I've got a few of them and they all sound good (though some are pressed better than others). I think at the time these sold for less than the CDs (like maybe $7.99 or something for the vinyl and $9.99 for the CDs?) and so I ordered a bunch of them through the store I was working at during that era.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"IN ORBIT". Great album, mono only, no binaural recording attempted. The OJC is a pretty flat transfer (they just added 1/2 a db at 3k to give it some life) from the full-track Reeves-Soundcraft Studio tape. The OJC was not limited or compressed in any way. It's also like 6 bucks or something. A good deal for this almost unknown MONK album. Notice how Thelonious doesn't really goof around on the album? He's really trying to support Clark Terry, a musician he really believed in...

Get it while it's still out there in OJC form!

mr. scratchy esq and pdenny like this.
  10. tannat

tannat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. OJC cd ordered. That music for those money is a steal.

Agreed, Thelonious is very sympathetic as accompanist on this record, he really shows how good he was in a more subtle way as a sideman.

I will still miss my vinyl though. Hint Hint :)

11. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

This was a great LP I had never heard of but found through this forum. Well worth tracking down this on OJC!

12. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

OK -- thanks. Sounds like a 5 pound bag stuffed with 10 pounds of "we all lose".

15. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Ordered the OJC....:righton:

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

OJC copy arrived today. It was 7 bucks (1987, Germany) and sounds excellent. This album is a gem.

[​IMG]

17. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

yeah, just picked this up last week myself (filling in some gaps in my 'monk in the 50's collection) and really enjoying it.

agree with the above comment that thelonious seems to have been playing really nice, maybe comfortable in the supporting role.

smitquest

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Will play this now. The OJC CD. Best of them all still.

19. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Took me a minute or two to find that "OJC" means "Original Jazz Classics"

I just ordered one because of Steve's testimonial and the price.

Love this forum! :edthumbs:

20. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Listening to this now. Maybe jazz ain't so bad.... :cool:

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

One of my favorites.

22. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

There is an Lp reissue of this now. Saw it in my local shop. Anyone heard it?

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

OJC=Original Jazz Classics? Clark Terry & Thelonious Monk: "In Orbit" does sound like a classic. I've never heard it, so thanks for the thread, I'll check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.