Nick Lowe-Labour of Lust reissue in '09?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

I have both and there is one track difference between the two: the US Columbia version has "American Squirm" and the UK version has "Endless Gray Ribbon".

If I had to choose, "American Squirm" makes the US version a clear winner in my book.

2. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

I don't have the Jesus of Cool reissue (must get it sometime), does anyone know if this is the Brinsley Schwarz version recorded for their long unreleased final album "It's All Over Now" which is available from Ian Gomm's website?

There's also a Brinsley Schwarz BBC session version, available more officially on Hux Record's CD "Cruel To Be Kind" which can be heard here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-2mHHPnmo

3. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I already had American Squirm on 45 so I always preferred the UK version, but really, Columbia should have just added the song and issued a 12-track album. Endless Gray Ribbon is a cool song... no reason to delete it (other than to limit songwriting publishing pay-outs to 11 songs).

As far as mastering and sound goes, I don't think there's much difference between the two, but I've never done a careful comparison. Both CD's were mastered in the early days of the medium.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

No, it is not

5. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Sorry to disagee, but having d/led a copy of the Jesus of Cool "Cruel to be Kind" it is the original Brinsley Schwarz studio version. The keyboards and guitar are unmistakeable Brinsleys. Compare it wth the BBC session track if you don't have "It's All Over Now" - they're identical arrangements.

And Wiki agrees with me.:agree:

6. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

From the News portion of the Ian Gomm website:

UNRELEASED BRINSLEY SCHWARZ ALBUM

Please e-mail Ian at [email protected] if you would like to purchase a CD copy of the previously unreleased Brinsley Schwarz "It's All Over Now" album recorded from the original master tapes.

It was thought by many fans to have been lost, and contains the original Brinsley Schwarz version of "Cruel To Be Kind" which Nick Lowe and Ian wrote.

You can also purchase the Brinsley Schwarz "Live at the Top Rank Cardiff, June 19th 1974" CD from Ian, again recorded from the original master tapes with a special cover.

Also available is a "Brinsley Schwarz Rarities" CD if you are interested. Let Ian know if you would like more details.

7. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

I'm a big fan of the Brinsleys having been an impecunious student in London in the 70s and going to pub rock gigs on a weekly basis, but I have to say that "Its All Over Now" can only be recommended for completists, Its easy to see why this never got an official release, its a lot, lot weaker than the previous New Favourites Of ..... you can almost hear the creaks of the band breaking up. Cruel to Be Kind is the standout track.

Poking around youtube I found a couple of Brinsley Schwarz videos which may interest Nick Lowe fans. Here's a typical catchy pub rock number "Surrender to the Rhythm" from 1973 with Nick sporting a Bowie type haircut. Typical of the Brinsley Schwarz I remember. As a complete contrast here's an incredible video from 1970 of the unreleased Indian Woman with Nick as a long haired hippy and the band playing err long haired hippy music with long guitar and keyboard solos. This would have totally blown his New Wave Jesus of Cool credibility completely if it had ever been released!

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This thread is great. I love Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, and Rockpile.

I found out quite a few things by reading this thread ... thanks everybody.

But ... any news about LABOUR OF LUST finally getting a re-release via Yep Roc?

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I doubt that'll ever happen, but I have a couple of booted shows that prove what a great live band Rockpile was.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I own this and have compared this version to the one on the box. They're different.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think that version of Surrender is the best one I've ever heard.

12. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I cannot believe this album is still MIA on CD.

I picked up the vinyl in high school (early '90s) and played the heck out of it. I remember going on a school trip to Seattle and seeing a "Labour of Lust" CD in a little record store there. Unfortunately, I decided not to pick it up, for whatever reason. I haven't seen it on CD since!

"Jesus of Cool" received a really nice expanded reissue, so why hasn't this one???

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I have a Columbia Promo LP A Conversation With Nick Lowe that has what I would call the country version of Cruel To Be Kind.

Wish Yep Rock would get around to releasing the rest of his Columbia stuff on CD. I have it all except Rose Of England, that one I have on LP. Never found it on CD then the prices went sky high for it.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Even if "Labour" doesn't get reissued, the best songs on it are readily available on cd - of the album's original 11 tracks:

"Basher - The Best Of Nick Lowe" has 8 songs :

American Squirm <from the USA LP version>
    Peace, Love & Understanding
    Cracking Up
    Big Kick, Plain Scrap
    Born Fighter
    Switchboard Susan
    Without Love
    Cruel To Be Kind

"16 All Time Lowes" has:

Skin Deep

that leaves just 4 songs unaccounted for:

Dose Of You
    You Make Me
    Love So Fine
    Endless Grey Ribbon <from the UK LP version>

I checked the samples out on Amazon and I could live without these 4, imho the weakest and/or slower tracks from LOL.

Note - the USA LP substituted "American Squirm" for the UK Lp's "Endless Grey Ribbon". In this instance, I'd say the USA made the wiser choice, as American Squirm is one of the best tracks ever by NL, imho.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The only one I'm missing on CD is NICK LOWE & HIS COWBOY OUTFIT, which I have on LP. Still, I'd like to see Nick's catalog back in print.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The majority of tracks are available but the sound on the last reissue leaves me wanting to hear the Labour tracks with the same treatment.

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Should read Columbia Promo An Interrogation Of Nick Lowe. Came out to promote Nick The Knife.

18. jsayers

Granted, although some folks preferred the original Demon mastering, myself included. The packaging and extra tracks made it a keeper.

19. eelkiller

The Demon discs are excellent (at least the ones I have managed to acquire). The prices nowadays are ridiculous on the auction sites. Over $60 in some cases.

20. jsayers

I haven't checked them recently, I'm surprised they didn't come down when the remaster came out, that's what usually happens.
    I have the Demon cds for Jesus Of Cool and 16 All-Time Lowes <my favorite Nick Lowe cd>, and would never part with them. I have the USA version of Basher, don't know if there was a better sounding UK version of that one or not...sounds good to me, though.

Edit - Amazon has some excellent prices on the original JOC cds:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...rect=true&qid=1280706062&sr=1-2&condition=all

And some good prices for 16 All Time Lowes as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...rect=true&qid=1280706228&sr=1-1&condition=all

1 copy is $8.95 for a "like new" copy - somebody grab that sucker! :eek:

21. eelkiller

It is the ones I need that are pricey, story of my life. :) I do have the best albums already though so all is good.

22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

What's so Funny isn't on Labor of Love.
    Love "You Make Me".

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

:agree:

24. jsayers

You are correct about "What's So Funny..", I was cutting and pasting, and quality control fell off, sorry. :sigh:

25. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Same here. I think Vic Anesini did a great job on Jesus Of Cool. I'd love for him to do Labour as well. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.