Classical SACDs from Esoteric for $59.99?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ubsman, May 12, 2009.

1. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

It's already available for pre-order at elusivedisc,

unit price: $1,499.99

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ESOSA90021

[​IMG]

2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

$100 per disc :evil:

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Which website(s) have these for less than the US import prices? I can't see the Mozart Piano Concertos or Dvorak (the two I really want) on hmv.co.jp

Cheers :cheers:

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

5. elusive disc always had it for $799 on pre-order.

6. BTW, after starting with just one title I have over the last few weeks given in and completed my set, there is not a week link between them - the sound quality of each recording is amazing.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

No. See post #101 and the thread on sa-cd.net

8. deanswift58

deanswift58 New Member

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Carlos Kleiber

Pray tell how Klieber Brahms 4 sounds, one of my favorites. Any reduction in glare from DG Originals edition? Hiro read that it was mastered from PCM, not the original digital tapes.

10. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

11. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Eddie, although they corrected the spars code to DDD on the Japanese website http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/essg90018/index.html they unfortunately forgot to make the same correction on the translated page, where the spars code for this release still indicates the SACD was sourced from analog tape (ADD) http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/essg90018/indexe.html

12. deanswift58

deanswift58 New Member

Have you tried contacting JVC Mastering center? they tend to be quite forthcoming albeit slow[esp. if you pose the query in english], when it comes to divulging the minutae of tech facts.

In issue 136 of StereoSound, when queried on another project [XRCD-related], Sugimoto-san mentioned that he prefers doing EQ in the analogue domain as it has less artifacts and the sound is more "malleable".

13. I don't have the DG to compare it to but there are only a few passages where the orchestra might not be as detailed.

14. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

15. Interesting discussion, thanks for the link. Of the 6 releases this is the one with the weakest sound quality IMO. That being said, it is still a great recording and I don't regret buying it.

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

From a discussion on the sa-cd.net forum:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/51177//y?page=last

jfeldt likes this.
  18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have the Three Cornered Hat SACD. It's terrific!

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I have a few of these titles. No mention was ever made by Esoteric of analog masters being used in the production of these SACD's, as far as I'm aware. My decision to buy was based on feedback, which has been nearly 100% positive. And yes they are worth it (if you love the music). The sonics are awesome.

20. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I am glad they have become honest about their sources - has someone asked them for a clarification or detailed statement about the XRCD claim on the CD layer ?

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Latest releases

I've haven't heard the Karajan's Decca Dvorak or Brahms, but the Mravinsky is exciting news.

Forthcoming in March.
    • Dvorak: Symphony No. 8 & Brahms: Symphony No. 3 - Herbert von Karajan/VPO
      Dvorak recorded September 29 - October 8, 1961 and September 1963.
      Brahms recorded September 29 - October 8, 1961.
    • Tchaikovsky: Symphony Nos. 4-6 - Evgeny Mravinsky/Leningrad Philharmonic [2SACD]
      No. 4 recorded September 14 & 15, 1960 at Brent Town Hall, Wembley, London.
      No. 5 recorded November 9-10, 1960 at Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Vienna.
      No. 6 recorded November 7-11, 1960 at Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Vienna.

And Tchaikovsky...

Attached Files:

22. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I'm reading at Disk Union that there is a problem with the Karajan and that it has been pulled.
    Apparently a couple of bars (204 and 205, first movement) are missing from the Brahms, Esoteric are enquiring to Decca and will announce how they are going to proceed.
    Customers being offered their money back at DU.

See:
    http://diskunion.net/classic/ct/news/

23. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

All of Esoteric's slick advertising doesn't disguise the fact that they're working from 24/96 digital copies of the original analogue tapes and not the analogue stereo masters themselves. So, the quality of Esoteric's masterings are depending on how well Polygram's engineers transferred the analogue tapes to digital in the 1990's. Even though I was misled by Esoteric's "audiophile" advertising and have purchased all of their SACD's to date (including the Solti Ring Cycle box set), I am not going to invest further in Esoteric's doubletalk and purposely deceptive advertising. Although I'm quite happy with the sound of the Esoterics, they should have advertised these as coming from digital masters. They've lost my business by their dishonesty.

jfeldt likes this.
  24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Did Esoteric claim they were using analog masters stored in England? I do not know, but I will continue to buy Esoteric titles I'm interested in -- the sound of the few I have is astounding. Btw, is it true that DG sourced their SACD releases from PCM masters several years ago?

25. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new releases.