Pernell Roberts (Bonanza, Trapper John, M.D. actor), RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

"Bonanza" star Pernell Roberts dies at 81

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Pernell Roberts Jr, who played the introspective eldest son of wealthy rancher Ben Cartwright on the hit TV western "Bonanza" and went on to star in medical drama "Trapper John, M.D.," has died. He was 81.

Roberts died at his Malibu home on Sunday of pancreatic cancer, said his spokesman, Richard Stone.

"Bonanza" first aired in 1959, and Roberts starred in the show from the start, as rancher Ben Cartwright's son.

Roberts earned many fans with the role as the quiet and serious Adam, but he left the show in 1965, even though some at the time said he was ruining his career by doing it.

"Bonanza" ran until 1973, and the popular series is one of the longest running westerns in TV history, behind "Gunsmoke."

After "Bonanza," Roberts mainly appeared in stage musicals and guest starring roles in TV shows, before he returned to series work in 1979 with his title role in "Trapper John, M.D." a part he played for seven seasons.

The actor supported the U.S. civil rights movement, and in 1965 he marched to Selma, Alabama, with Martin Luther King Jr in a campaign for voting rights for blacks.

Roberts was married four times and his only son, Chris, died in 1989. He is survived by his wife Eleanor Criswell.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100126/people_nm/us_roberts

2. BradOlson

The sad news being that Pernell died, but at least he has reunited with the other 3 Cartwright's once and for all.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

4. BradOlson

Even if "Bonanza" were the only show Pernell starred in, he would have left a tremendous legacy right there. Great actor. Trapper John MD only proved that he was indeed a great dramatic actor later on. He has sure left a legacy which will never be forgotten.

5. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

RIP

Now I've got the Trapper John theme song stuck in my head.

6. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

This is sad news!!

Bonanza screened for many year here in Australia and was very popular. Trapper John MD had a large and loyal following also!

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Isn't amazing how many actors have fame in two TV shows?

For instance Jack Klugman starred in The Odd Couple and then found big fame playing Quincy ME.

8. BradOlson

Indeed both shows were long running and there are networks that rerun both shows to this day. Pernell is an American Icon.

9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

10. BradOlson

Indeed, an entire era is over but lives on TV Land, the Bear Family boxed set of the cast albums, etc.

11. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

R.I.P. AC

12. BradOlson

Marc W. (Vidiot here on SH.tv) posted this on BSN and these are his words: Roberts was a good guy, too. I worked on the last couple of seasons of Trapper John, and always heard from the crew that he was a decent person. It's sad that what he's remembered for most is being one of the first major actors to walk off a hit TV show, paving the way for McLean Stevenson, Shelly Long, David Caruso, and many others.

I can kind of see Roberts' side of it: after you're in 150 episodes of a show, working 12 hours a day, playing the same part week after week, it gets deadly dull, no matter how much money they throw at you. At least in Roberts' case, he was able to come back to TV and appreciate his success in a completely different role. (Ditto with David Caruso, who now makes over $350K a week on CSI Miami.)

--Marc W.

13. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

14. BradOlson

The AP obit:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/2010-01-25-pernell-roberts_N.htm?csp=34
    LOS ANGELES – Pernell Roberts, the ruggedly handsome actor who shocked Hollywood by leaving TV's "Bonanza" at the height of its popularity, then found fame again years later on "Trapper John, M.D.," has died. He was 81.

Roberts, the last surviving member of the classic Western's cast, died of cancer Sunday at his Malibu home, his wife Eleanor Criswell told the Los Angeles Times.

Although he rocketed to fame in 1959 as Adam Cartwright, eldest son of a Nevada ranching family led by Lorne Greene's patriarchal Ben Cartwright, Roberts chafed at the limitations he felt his "Bonanza" character was given.

"They told me the four characters (Greene, himself and Dan Blocker and Michael Landon as his brothers) would be carefully defined and the scripts carefully prepared," he complained to The Associated Press in 1964. "None of it ever happened."

It particularly distressed him that his character, a man in his 30s, had to continually defer to the wishes of his widowed father.

"Doesn't it seem a bit silly for three adult males to get Father's permission for everything they do?" he once asked a reporter.

Roberts agreed to fulfill his six-year contract but refused to extend it, and when he left the series in 1965, his character was eliminated with the explanation that he had simply moved away.

"Bonanza," with its three remaining stars, continued until 1973, making it second to "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running Western on TV. Blocker died in 1972, Greene in 1987, and Landon in 1991.

When Roberts left the show the general feeling in Hollywood was that he had foolishly doomed his career and turned his back on a fortune in "Bonanza" earnings.

Indeed, for the next 14 years he mainly made appearances on TV shows and in miniseries, or toured with such theatrical productions as "The King and I, "Camelot" and "The Music Man."

His TV credits during that time included "The Virginian," "Hawaii Five-O," "Mission Impossible," "Marcus Welby, M.D.," "Banacek," "Ironside" and "Mannix."

Then, in 1979, he landed another series, "Trapper John, M.D.," in which he played the title role.

The character, but little else, was spun off from the brilliant Korean War comedy-drama "M-A-S-H," in which Wayne Rogers had played the offbeat Dr. "Trapper" John McIntire opposite Alan Alda's Dr. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce.

Rogers had left that series after just three seasons.

In "Trapper John, M.D.," the Korean War was nearly 30 years past and Roberts' character was now a balding, middle-aged chief of surgery at San Francisco Memorial Hospital. He no longer fought the establishment, having learned how to deal with it with patience and wry humor.

The series, praised for its serious treatment of the surgical world, aired until 1986.

Roberts' other venture into series TV was "FBI: The Untold Stories" (1991-1993), in which he acted as host and narrator.

Pernell Roberts Jr. was born in 1928 in Waycross, Ga. As a young man, he once commented, "I distinguished myself by flunking out of college three times." After pursuing occupations that ranged from tombstone maker to railroad riveter, he decided to become an actor.

Roberts worked extensively in regional theaters, then gained notice in New York, where he won a Drama Desk award in 1956 for his performance in an off-Broadway production of "Macbeth."

He eventually moved to Hollywood, where he appeared in several TV shows and landed character roles in such features as "Desire Under the Elms," "The Sheepman" and "Ride Lonesome" until "Bonanza" made him a star.

Three of Roberts' marriages ended in divorce. His first, to Vera Mowry, produced a son, Jonathan, who died in 1989 at age 37.

15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

16. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

RIP - a truly gifted actor and, by all accounts, a good man.

17. BradOlson

Indeed he was a truly gifted actor and a good man. BTW, he could also sing extremely well as exhibited on the Ponderosa Party Time and Christmas On The Ponderosa albums with the cast and his own album "Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies."

18. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Wow, that is really sad news. A man who had been around in the TV world. Aside from his well known starring roles, there was his classic Hawaii Five O two parter, The Grandstand Play with him as a baseball player whose mentally challenged son may or may not have killed a girl. Great episode and great performance from him. RIP

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

20. Sad news - Bonanza was a childhood favourite.

Condolences to friends and family.

Best Wishes
    David

21. He definitely was the most handsome Cartwright.
    Rest well.

22. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I thought you might like to read my February Sound Waves column on Bonanza.

The Other Fab Four

By Mark T. Gould

We all know about John, Paul, George and Ringo. Today, as another yet another celebrity death brings another era wistfully to its end, it seems appropriate to talk about another Fab Four.

That would be Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe.

The passing last month of the incredibly underrated actor Pernell Roberts, the last surviving member of the cast of the long-running western “Bonanza,” triggers more fond memories of television viewing, and the indelible characters from those seminal shows in the Sixties.

Roberts, as just about everyone my age knows, played Adam Cartwright, the eldest of the three brothers, who also included the lovable Hoss (played by Dan Blocker) and the loved Little Joe (played by Michael Landon), to the widowed, yet always courageous and benevolent, land baron Ben Cartwright (played by Lorne Greene).

In many ways, for people of my generation, “Bonanza” was the special part of Sunday night television viewing. In those days, we only had the Big Three networks, NBC (which ran the show), CBS and ABC. That night was chocked full of televised entertainment, starting with the wondrous animal life depicted in “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom,” starring Marlin Perkins; the magic and imagination of “The Wonderful World of Disney,” and the variety of “The Ed Sullivan Show,” the last of which, you may recall, first exposed America to that other Fab Four, the Beatles.

What made “Bonanza” special for kids like me? A lot of things, but mostly the time it was on. In those days, like today, prime time shows started at 7 p.m. Eastern time on Sundays, as opposed to 8 p.m. the rest of the week, because then, as now, Sunday night was seen as “family night” for television. Because all the hugely popular shows mentioned above, other than “Bonanza” came on earlier in the evening, the western didn’t start until 9 p.m., the “outer limits” (pun intended) of school night viewing for kids like me.

But, if we’d all been good that day, most of our parents (read mothers) let us stay up and watch the travails of the Cartwright family, usually with our fathers, thereby creating a special bonding time.

And bond we did, for a very long time. Bonanza ran on NBC from September 12, 1959 to January 16, 1973, a period of 14 seasons, making it the second longest running western series, behind the likewise immortal Gunsmoke in television history. Thanks to the cable boom, not to mention the aging of the baby boom, the show has been running for far longer than that in syndication.

“Bonanza’s” basic premise was pretty simple, but quite unorthodox, for its time. The show chronicled the weekly adventures of the Cartwright family, headed by the thrice-widowed patriarch Ben, who had the three sons, each by a different wife (quite the coup in those simpler times, and not often mentioned in the story lines). Roberts’ character, Adam, the eldest, was the urbane architect who designed and built the family ranch house. The middle son was the warm and lovable Hoss, real name Eric (one of the earliest and most obscure answers to television trivia questions), and the youngest was the hotheaded and impetuous Joseph or “Little Joe.” Longtime fans will remember the family's cook was the Chinese immigrant “Hop Sing,” played by veteran character actor Victor Sen Yung. The family lived on a thousand-square mile ranch called the “Ponderosa,” on the shores of Lake Tahoe, near Virginia City, in Nevada.

At its heart, “Bonanza” was considered an atypical western for its time, as the core of the storylines dealt with Ben and his three dissimilar sons, how they cared for one another, their neighbors and their land, rather than the typical, for the time, clichéd and hackneyed Western TV stories lines that usually tried to pass the cowboys killing the Indians as a story line or plot. The show’s approach resonated with viewers, and it eventually reached number one by the mid-'60s. By 1970, it had become the first series to ever wind up in the Top Five for nine consecutive seasons (a record which would stand for decades) and thus established itself as the single biggest hit TV series of the 1960s. It remained high on the ratings until 1971, when it finally fell out of the top 10.

The show was moved to Tuesday nights in 1972, where, amid the ever changing times, it was trumped in the ratings by the sitcom “Maude.” Earlier that year, Blocker had passed away. Greene died in 1987, and Landon, who became an even bigger star, if that was possible, with the sort-of spinoff “Little House on the Prairie,” succumbed in 1991.
    Yet, just like with the ongoing lives of Paul and Ringo, longtime fans of the show always felt its pulse so long as Roberts, who, ironically, was the first “son” to leave the series, was still alive. His death from cancer last month truly brings an end to an indelibly popular show that made its imprint on not just television, but American society.

I think I shall stay up past my bedtime for a few Sundays in its honor.

23. BradOlson

Fans who do not have any of the RCA albums or the Bear Family 4 CD boxed set of the cast albums and the single disc companion to the boxed set, you must get the music. You also must get the MGM LP or the Harkit CD of the David Rose Bonanza LP of incidental music.

24. BradOlson

Great column on a great show.

25. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

R.I.P. Pernell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.