The version of Aqualung on "M.U" - The Best Of Jethro Tull

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DennisF, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up the LP when it was released in the 70's and the CD in the 80's. I loved the song selection. When I got one of those Time Life Sounds of The Seventies CDs, that had Aqualung, it stunned me. What was wrong? Where was the echoey version I had listened to for years? Of course, I eventually realised that I had been listening to an incorrect version. I pulled the CD this past weekend and Aqualung sounded horrible with all the extra reverb. I'm not sure its even the same take. Whats the deal on that? Anyone one know why that version was used on a "greatest hits" LP (and then CD) when the original was feadily available? Are they different takes? :confused: Dennis

2. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Same version, your reverbed one is the quad mix as are all Aqualung song's on MU. Hope that help's Todd.

3. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

How about Locomotive Breath? While not as drastically different, there seems to be little more reverb in the M.U. version. Is it also from the Quad mix or is it just a difference in mastering?

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

It's the Quad version as well. I really like it. The guitars are more distinct.

I like these Quad versions for everything but the drums; for them I prefer the original stereo mix. The drums almost sound mono on the Quad mix, whereas on the stereo mix they're nicely spread out: snare center, tom right, floor tom left. :thumbsup:

5. Chris.

Chris. Forum Resident

Is it the quad version on Original Masters (1985) as well? It sounds better than the incredibly dry Aqualung LP version (to me), having a slight bit of added delay (rather than reverb). "Locomotive Breath" also sounds delayed on OM.

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

No.

7. tootull

:agree:

... and the Quad works well with Dolby II (no center channel used) surround, Logic7 too.

8. Chris.

Chris. Forum Resident

Long post! Elaborate. Did they just add a little delay for the Original Masters version? Perhaps nobody quite knows, but it's definitely a slightly different mix from the original.

9. tootull

:angel: Sorry Chris,
    "No" was precise. :laugh:
    It sounds like the album version turned up louder and I believe that makes the echo more pronounced.

They turned up the echo. :shh:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=76236
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=116603&highlight=Aqualung

10. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks - I now prefer (by a large margin), the original Aqualing mix. Dennis

ian christopher likes this.
  11. Chris.

Chris. Forum Resident

Interesting. Thanks!

12. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

What is this crap thing called 25th Aniversery remix thing thats going around. SOmeone added a ton of reverb and echo. I could not even make it all the way thru...

13. tootull

:agree: Original Aqualung is always best.
    Quad for fun.

14. ascot

ascot Senior Member

And I am in the distinct minority of one who prefers the M.U. mix of "Aqualung".

:hide:

15. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I like the original quad mix on lp properly disemminatted to 4channell quad. The fold down to stereo make's it sound like crud.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Is the same (i.e. quad "Aqualung" mixes) true for the German LP pressing of "M.U."?

I have:

JETHRO TULL / “M.U. – THE BEST OF JETHRO TULL” / GERMAN PRESSING / CHRYSALIS RECORDS, Cat # 202 661-270

LABEL: White Morphs Into Blue CHRYSALIS, with “GEMA” and, along rim, “Ariola-Eurodisc GmbH, Munchen”

BACK COVER: Has LP and Cassette icons.

STAMPERS:
    A: DM 202661 A-1/84 S III
    B: DM 202661 B-2/84 S III

I believe the DM designation in the stamper indicates that it was Direct Metal Mastered.

Anyone know if this was mastered from analog tape?

17. I was listening to Steve's DCC gold master of Aqualung and think it sounds great. What do you guys think?

18. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Make it 2. I tried to like the album, but prefer the M.U. version. :shrug:

19. tootull

:)
    :)

Actually I've heard "Aqualung" so many times I prefer to hear "Cross-Eyed Mary". :laugh: too true - I usually skip "Aqualung" these days.

john lennonist likes this.
  20. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

You nailed it, that IS crap. Of all the things I lost in Katrina, I really wish that had been one of them.

22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The last time I saw Tull, Ian did a drastic re-worked version of Aqualung. Sure took you out of the comfort zone!

23. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I too prefer that version on M.U. :righton:

24. Aqualung there is NOT the same version entirely though. The quiet middle section, up to "Aqualung my friend..." whereupon it switches to the regular version, is a different take altogether of at least the vocals, probably the acoustic guitar too. Many differences indicate this; for instance, Ian sings "Goes down to the bog" instead of "He goes down to the bog". I believe the rest is the same as the stereo version.

billqs and pinkchris1967 like this.
  25. Same here Tootull, all the heavily rotated Tull gets little play on my system. I just got burnt out on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.