AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It's been pretty well documented here that Paul is anti-mono and that he's the issue, not Artie. I have no interest in stereo anymore, the mono really turned my head around, particularly the 'Rock' single version. If for some reason this goes out as mono, it will be a collector's item, cause paul will be p'o'd.

2. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I thought Steve himself posted a while back (I think in a thread about the mono Bookends) that Paul Simon wouldn't allow any of the mono mixes of the albums to be issued on cd.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Is it?

I've heard a lot of speculation to that effect, but can't recall any statements from Paul.

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Which always leads me to ask: How the HELL did the 45 mix of FAKIN' IT wind up CD?

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

IIRC, someone here talked to Artie and Artie came right out and said words to that effect. I think Artie even said he preferred the mono (well, he always did like 50's do wop stuff.....). Anyone else remember this?

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

From Sundazed's site:

http://www.sundazed.com/product_info.php?products_id=991

Quote from Bob Irwin:

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=720

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Why bother with the mono if the stereo needs to be and can be remixed?

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The mono vinyl Bookends is a favourite here.
    Not sure if a stereo remix is what PSRT requires.

9. Scott Wheeler

So is there any point to the mono other than nostolgia? I can't say that I have ever seen the merits of the mono for this title. Would love to get this one on a Hoffman/Gray 45rpm cut. But I'll take the CD for sure.

10. alexpop

I don't equate MONO = nostalgia.
    Perhaps for PSRT stereo (remix ) is more appropiate (optional would be best).
    Though, there is quite a few other MONO albums (different artists)
    that knock the socks of the Stereo versions of the same title that I prefer.

11. Scott Wheeler

Indeed. But it seems that instead of settling for mono, a stereo remix that retains the virtues of the mono mix would be the best of both worlds. Any time that is an option when we have a situation where the mono mix is obviously better than the stereo mix, seems like a reasonable approach.

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The most obvious is that the mono uses the single take of I Am A Rock, the stereo uses a totally different take of the song. This stereo version is now the one used on solid Gold stations, etc. Many people today think they are hearing the actual single version, but they aren't.

I'm not going to try and explain the differences in the mix of songs like Scarborough and Feelin' Groovy to you........it doesn't sound like a mix difference matters to you. Which is ok, to each his own.:)

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

First off, I AM A ROCK isn't even ON PSR&T. It was included on the SOUNDS OF SILENCE Lp.

Now, in the way of the mono-vs-stereo thing, the mono S&G stuff is just some very nicely mixed sounds. I wouldn't say that one trumps out the other in the case of PSR&T, but both have their pros and cons.

14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

15. Wow. I am psyched!

16. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I can't believe Audio Fidelity would master from a modern remix -- not when the original stereo master is available. (Of course, I said the same thing about MoFi before it released Who's Next and the Lennon titles).

I'd gladly pay $50 for a Steve Hoffman-mastered AF Gold disc that contained the original mono and stereo mix.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Mofi did the same with Bookends... remastered from the Remixes, and that's an excellent remaster.

18. alexpop

The original Columbia stereo vinyl is no slouch(and there is the MONO option).:love:

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hope it's Mono !

20. They did? There's many posts in the archives saying BOOKENDS is from the master stereo tape.

21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I believe the MFSL Bookends is the original mix.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I think you are correct. It is a great sounding CD. :)

23. ... one of my favorite MoFi's. :agree:

24. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Super new year news!!!

25. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Here was me thinking that maybe I might pack in my Gold membership because of the Judas Priest and prosposed Billy Idol discs and along come this and the Randy Newman disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.