Jethro Tull - "Live At Madison Square Garden 1978" (CD/DVD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Jethro Tull Give You One More Chance To Love Them

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/09/jethro-tull-give-you-one-more-chance-to-love-them/
    By Kevin Richards on September 24th, 2009 Jethro Tull: Live At Madison Square Garden 1978 (DVD/CD)

2. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I got mine from Amazon UK and it is NTSC.

3. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Anyone else stateside have this yet? i was hoping to nab a copy by this Saturday so I could watch it with my dad over a few beers but looks like no release until Tuesday Oct.20.

As for the cd portion, how close do those performances resemble the ones on Bursting Out? They are practically the same line up correct? I know Tull could interpret their songs greatly from year to year, but what about from month to month or even day to day?

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Same lineup except for Tony Williams subbing for John Glascock. (I noticed that at one point in "Thick As A Brick" Williams hits a wrong note and then slides up to the right one, but overall he did well considering that he came in on short notice.)

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The performances are pretty close, except that Tony Williams is substituting for John Clascock who was ill. For a bass player listening (like me) that's a difference.

The MSG is a better quality recording. Bursting Out was recorded on 8-track (three European concerts were recorded for it). MSG is 24-track recording.

6. Doctor Flang

Damn, you were fast Pbuzby!

Tony Wiliams did a very good job - also considering that he wasn't even a bass player in the first place!

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Picked this and the box states that the DVD is DTS 96/24 however when I check the disc itself it comes up 48/24 for the 5.1 and 44/16 for the LPCM stereo.
    I was hoping to put the Hi-Rez audio on my music server but since it not 96/24, I stick with the CD.
    Anyone else notice this?

8. I watched this DVD Friday and have to say that it captures a fantastic performance. It really is a must-own for Tull fans. I actually caught their show live around the same time when they played at Boston garden that fall.

I have one question though, what is that excellent instrumental they play after The Dambuster's March) as the credits are rolling)?

9. tootull

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/reviews/review-detail/4855

Madison Square Garden CD and DVD thread at Jethro Tull Fan Forum
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cd&action=display&thread=631

somebodywhocares likes this.
  10. tootull

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=8461

11. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I was there in the 4 th row! It was an Amazing concert. They played 2 concerts, 1 for the live feed to the uK, and then a full concert. Great show:righton:

12. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Wow. Saw Tull once in April of 79 so this brings back lots of memories. We were about sixth row center and I remember Ian Anderson being a great frontman but this really confirms my memories. Great to have a live 'Heavy Horses' with this band as well.

Must have for any Tull fan.

13. tootull

14. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

Great show but a real waste of 5.1 mix-only AUDIENCE in rears...phew !

15. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

One of my favorites from the Bursting Out set was Conundrum (I an a drummer, and a huge Barrie fan). I suppose there is no solo on this DVD set? I will get it anyway - this was my favorite Tull era.

16. tootull

http://blog.masslive.com/playback/2009/12/alicia_keys_cd_showcases_soulf.html

17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

18. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

19. tootull

20. tootull

That was released earlier in Europe, I guess we're getting a North American release, finally.

21. Doctor Flang

I've seen the Yes one, and on basis of that - and what i've heard - is that it's not a very good series. Very little music there - just small under 15 second snippets in order not to pay the copyrights. It mainly consists of interviews, and reputedly in case of Tull the 80's period is almost completely ignored.

22. street legal

street legal Senior Member

The Yes "Classic Artists" DVD does indeed suck. I watched it once & may never watch it again. However, don't base the whole series on one selection ....... I also have the Cream CA DVD, & enjoy that one very much.

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

OK, thanks for the responses on that. I guess I'll wait to see some reviews first before buying.

24. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Anyone else think Martin Barre is mixed a little low in this show? He doesn't seem nearly as prominent as in the Bursting Out shows. He's playing some fantastic stuff, he just needs to turn it to 11...

somebodywhocares likes this.
  25. Doctor Flang

He is mixed pretty low. As are some of the keyboards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.