Pink Floyd's Oh By the Way - box question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sytze, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

From what I have read, some of the Ummagumma discs had disc 1 labelled as disc two and vice versa and the sleeve of The Wall disc two, had side three's details printed on both sides.

2. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

Label mix-up on 'Gumma, and side three of The Wall printed twice.

And yet several times on this maddening thread, people have popped up stating that the "quality" of the individual mini-albums is inferior to the Japenese ones. No evidence is offered to back up these claims.

3. Mine it is like you say, Ummagumma changed the labelled in the cd with the songs in the cd.

And the sleeve of the Wall.

Two of two for me. :(

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

This could be one of, if not the most annoying threads of the year.

:help:

5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member Thread Starter

...and to think it started out with an innocent, harmless question about the box I had just bought, and that I'm enjoying immensely at present. I got my question answered in the second or third post I believe. There really wasn't more to it...

6. Lord_Gastwick

I love the box too. If other people don't like it, fine, but to criticize it on the grounds that the Japanese mini-albums are "superior" without stating why is (in the context of a discussion about packaging) a foul.

7. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Posts have been deleted because they continue to discuss the Amazon sale cancellations. This is a second warning to give that subject a rest.

8. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It must be the magical powers of the OBI.

9. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

Not magical powers. Its "The Force." As in "Use the force, Luke," said OBI Wan Kenobi.

10. Hey I just read a terrible review of the remastering on this set...any thoughts anyone who owns, or has heard it?

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought most (all?) of the discs used the Doug Sax masters which sound very good IMO.

12. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

The "Shine On" box set uses the Sax Masters as well, though the levels have been boosted on this set.

13. Other than the "Shine On" box, is there any place to get the Singles CD? Or are the bases pretty much covered if you have Relics and the Piper special edition? Or does Piper not have any bonus tracks (I haven't bought it yet)?

14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Point me at the sky and It would be so nice are nowhere else I beleive.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're right, one of the reasons I bought the Shine on box was to have those tracks on CD

16. Lord_Gastwick

It's certainly nothing to do with the quality of the card or resolution of the images. In fact, I'm tempted to post a side-by side of the Japanese and OBtW 'Gummas. The latter is better (higher contrast, less "washed out" looking) to my eyes.

17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Is this correct? My belief was that these were made from current masterings (Sax) and no new remasters (e.i. level boosting) were done for this box set.

Does anyone else care to corroborate this assertion either way?

:confused:

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They may have corrected things, the early version I saw has some fuzzy lettering on some of the sleeves and IIRC there were no protective inner sleeves for the discs. If that was corrected then that is great :righton:

I look forward to see what this box is all about.

19. Lord_Gastwick

Thank you, sir, for the specifics. :) I can happily report that the lettering on the OBtW 'Gumma, The Wall, Saucerful, and WYWH are as clear as their Japanese counterparts (these are the Japanese ones I have). And there are protective inner-sleeves. :)

20. Just got the set today. It is beautiful! Sounds pretty good, too--I've always liked the Doug Sax masterings.

Did EMI ever re-print The Wall's inner sleeve? I would like a corrected copy of it if possible! Luckily, my Ummagumma discs do not appear to be mislabeled.

21. Here's another dumb question: my copies of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, More, Atom Heart Mother, both discs of Ummagumma, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, and The Final Cut do not have paper inner sleeves--only the plastic CD sleeves. I assume this is supposed to be this way--my assumption being that the original vinyl of these discs had only generic inner sleeves, so EMI did not include anything for the CD's. My copy of Dark Side of the Moon has the two posters and two stickers. Anyway, am I missing any of the inner sleeves? Thanks!

22. Lord_Gastwick

The plastic CD sleeves are issued as standard. If you have inner-sleeves with lyrics printed on them for Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, you have 'em all. Unless I'm missing something. :)

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member Thread Starter

The Final Cut doesn't have a printed inner sleeve AFAIK. The lyrics are printed on the gatefold.

24. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

The Shine On set was the debut of the Sax mastering. Peak values are slightly different for the US and Eu versions. The US and Japan market versions of the individual albums went to the Sax re-master, but the peak values do not match either Shine On set. Generally the Eu market albums stayed the same as the early 80's CDs, regardless of what he credits say.

Give me a minute and I'll double check which versions the Oh by the Way set uses.

25. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Mastering on Oh by the Way Boxset

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Guthrie Mastering from 2007

A Saucerful of Secrets
    EMI Mastering from 1994
    (Level shifted version of original EMI Mastering from 1987, not Sax)

More
    Sax Mastering from 1995

Ummagumma
    Sax Mastering from 1994

Atom Heart Mother
    Sax Mastering from 1994

Meddle
    EMI Mastering from 1994
    (Level shifted version of original EMI Mastering from 1985, not Sax)

Obscured by Clouds
    Sax Mastering from 1995

The Dark Side of the Moon
    Guthrie Mastering from 2003

Wish You Were Here
    EMI Mastering from 1994
    (Level shifted version of original EMI Mastering from 1984, not Sax)

Animals
    Original EMI Mastering from 1985

The Wall
    EMI Mastering from 1994
    (Not the same EQ as Sax Mastering from 1997 (nor original EMI) might be a tweaked Sax.)

The Final Cut
    Guthrie Mastering from 2004

A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Unique to OBTW

The Division Bell
    EMI Mastering from 1994

JRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.