It's Official! The Beatles Remasters Thread (Part 23)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curiosity, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Lennon was completely burned out on music by '75. Even if the baby thing hadn't come along, he wanted a major change to happen in his life. Things were good with Yoko at that time, so divorce wasn't gonna happen. Instead, he started actively courting McCartney (who was now at the hight of his solo success), though only through the press. He wanted to write songs with him again. While not as enthusiastic, he also often brought up the possibility of a Beatles reunion without prompting...

2. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Incorrect. This was post-"lost weekend".

No.

"Love Me Do" until "I Want To Hold Your Hand": 2 track

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" until 1/3-1/2 through 'White Album': 4 track

1/3-1/2 through WA until the end: 8 track

3. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

The first two UK albums and the singles prior to I Want to Hold Your Hand were recorded on two track. The albums from "A Hard Day's Night" in 1964 until parts of the White Album used four track. All singles from IWTHYH until Hey Jude were recorded using four track.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Well, I have listened to everything in both the stereo and mono box sets and I am generally happy. The only thing that personally bugs me is the VERY noticeable limiting. Of course it is more prominate on some tracks, but it is quite obvious and distracting throughout the entire stereo catalouge. Other than that, Il ike these remasters. Because the limiting is so prominate, I will keep my 87 CDs.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Said it before, and I'll say it again; "I Know (I Know)" was about (for) Paul!

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, Love Me Do was mono only. The June session was twin-track and mono, but the September sessions were mono only.

7. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

UK Album Top 40

5. Sgt Peppers ...
    6. Abbey Road
    7. Revolver
    10. Rubber Soul
    21. The Beatles
    24. The Beatles in stereo
    29. Help!
    31. Past Masters
    33. Magical Mystery Tour
    37. A Hard Day's Night
    38. Please Please Me

8. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I just noticed that, comparing the mono to stereo Please Please Me.

The Love Me Do on the stereo Please Please Me is in mono! However, it's a different mix and clocks in three seconds shorter.

9. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

UK ALBUM CHARTS (09-19-09)

RANK/PREVIOUS WK/ALBUM/ARTIST

1 (2) We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn

5 (-) Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 17,830
    6 (-) Abbey Road 16,507
    9 (-) Revolver 14,568
    10 (-) Rubber Soul 13,203
    21 (-) The Beatles 8,532
    24 (-) The Beatles In Stereo 7,671
    29 (-) Help 6,150
    31 (-) Past Masters 5,748
    33 (-) Magical Mystery Tour 5,568
    37 (-) A Hard Day's Night 5,528
    38 (-) Please Please Me 5,106
    49 (-) Let It Be 3,993
    51 (-) With The Beatles 3,909
    54 (99) 1 3,418
    56 (-) Beatles For Sale 3,390
    57 (-) The Beatles In Mono 3,305
    89 (-) Yellow Submarine 2,043

126,469 ALBUMS SOLD IN 4 DAYS

16 TOP 60 ALBUMS = NEW RECORD

The BEATLES' Stereo (14 Albums) and MONO (10 Albums) Boxes were only counted as 1 sale per box (for chart purposes).
    stereo box = 7671 x 14 = 107,394 albums
    mono box = 3305 x 10 = 33,050 albums

10. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

They've simply copied the spines from the original lp releases. Sloppy or not, that's how they were.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It sucks how hard it is to get the discs out of the stereo remasters.

I am putting them in paper sleeves inside them to make it easier.

Evan

12. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Here's a trick that's so easy you won't believe you didn't think of it first.

Genly squeeze the cardboard sleeve (top and bottom) housing the disc while tilting the opening downward. The disc will roll out into your other hand. What you don't want to do is stick your fingers inside and pull. When you stick your fingers in, you are actually pressing the disc even tauter against the cardboard. Pulling induces lots of friction, and can scratch the disc.

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Picture?

14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Thank you for this. Works like a charm. Especially good for disc 1 of Past Masters.

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe because both of them were written by Paul?

17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I wasn't really sure where to post this because I thought there was a thread on the Capitol Remasters vs the 2009's. Alas, I couldn't find it. I did an A/B with Beatles for Sale. I burned the disc using Real Player from the Capitol's stereo box Beatles For Sale, With the Beatles and Please Please Me a while ago. It was a stereo battle. I am surprised that I liked my disc better than the 2009. I thought Rock N Roll Music sounded better on the 2009 but that was about it. I switched both discs out. You can see my stuff on my profile. The bottom end is defintely boosted in the 2009's and louder as most have already mentioned. I just liked the crispness of the Capitols much better. I also did an A/B of my 1987 Revolver with the 2009 and though the depth of the 2009 seemed better, I was disappointed again not to here a lot of difference. Yes, I had to boost the 87 to get it to the level of the 2009. I haven't been on this forum long and I just thought I would post my views. I like all the stereos I have heard including the first four, Revolver, White Album and Help. But I am mildly disappointed I liked a burnt CD, not using all the great technology you all talk about on here, than the new Beatles For Sale.

18. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Naaaaah…that's a Yokosong! I think Paul's "No Words" was about/for John, though. Linda sure didn't have black eyes, and she wasn't the one who famously said that love is what we need the most of…

19. vince

"Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?" ;)

20. vince

Dude, between the "I Got A Feeling" 'rip-off' riff, the line, "I know what I was missing" (considering how much he thought "Dear Boy" was about HIM), AND, the constant harmony throughout, it's gotta be about Paul!............ maybe. :winkgrin:

21. J van E

J van E New Member

Anyone here also think it's a big shame Let it be and Abbey Road weren't added to the mono box in stereo without limiting and/or compression...? Just to make the collection of replica's complete...? And to also give us a choice for one COMPLETE 'tonal' version (the mono box for straight transfers and the stereo box for the er... modern fan :p )? Now the mono fans are stuck with a version of LiB and AB that doesn't fit with the rest when it comes to sound AND looks.

22. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Good Idea. Mono's & non maximized moptops. :)

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

There's a late 70s interview where Paul states that his favorite Beatles song just might be She Said She Said---throwing a bone to John and George Harrison---who worked on the song together (George's idea to put in the "When I Was A Boy" bit which was a separate fragment Lennon had) and George allegedly plays bass.

24. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

Thanks to Zeus555.

UK ALBUM CHARTS 09-19-09 CONGRATULATIONS FABS!

BEATLES UK CHART RECORDS IN THE CHART OF W/E 19th SEPTEMBER:

THE FIRST GROUP TO HAVE 4 TOP 10 ALBUMS IN THE SAME CHART

1) They are the first Group - ever - to have 4 Top 10 Albums, in the same Week.
    The only other Act to manage 4 - or more - was Michael Jackson - earlier in 2009.
    He had 5 Top 10 Albums in the Chart of W/E 11th July. Then 6 in the W/E 18th July
    Chart. Then 5 in the W/E 25th July Chart. (Until 2009, no Act had ever managed more
    than 3 Top 10 Albums at once).

THE FIRST GROUP SINCE 1967 TO HAVE MORE THAN TWO TOP 10 ALBUMS AT ONCE:,

2) The last time, (by a Group), was just over 42 Years ago:,

THE MONKEES

W/E 15th July 1967

No.2 - HEADQUARTERS
    No.4 - MORE OF THE MONKEES
    No.6 - THE MONKEES

Only 10 Acts have ever managed it. Until now, The Beatles had yet to achieve it.

The only other Groups to manage 3 Top 10 Albums -
    George Mitchell Minstrels, (3 Weeks - 1962 - 1963),
    The Shadows, (9 Weeks - 1963), The Beach Boys, (2
    Weeks - 1966), & The Monkees, (1 Week - 1967).

THE MOST TOP 60 ALBUMS BY THE SAME ACT

3) Elvis Presley had a record 14 Top 60 Albums in the Chart of W/E 10th September 1977.
    (3 of them in the Top 10). The Beatles have now beaten that. They have 16 Albums in the
    current Top 60.
    (Michael Jackson had 9 Top 60 Albums in the Charts of W/E 18th July,
    (all Top 20), W/E 25th July, (all Top 40), W/E 1st August, (all Top 50), W/E 8th August,
    (all Top 50), & W/E 15th August, (all Top 60 - 11 in the Top 75, that Week).

25. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

They had a radio station contest here for a Mono and Stereo box. I entered and got a text that said "Congrats" not even 3 seconds after I entered. Doubt I won its probably just a way of saying "Thank you for entering in the drawing" Would be cool if I one though :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.