Sensurround still playing!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Logan5, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 New Member Thread Starter

Some grand sound formats just won’t die quietly with (((Sensurround))) pounding you in the chest!

The in-70mm article below. Wicked, wicked JBL is on the scene now with Sensuuround makes, me won’t play Earthquake on my JBL sound system LOL!

We showed "Earthquake" a few years ago where we brought in 24 huge JBL subwoofers, each equipped with two 18" woofers.:righton:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/sensurround/index.htm

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2008/sensurround/index.htm

I can still to this day feel the deep reverb of Earthquake (1974), three times at 79p.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Anybody seen that bunny with the pancake on his head?

3. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Got any pictures?

:angel:

4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

You mean this bunny with the pancake on its head?

Dan

MLutthans likes this.
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Exactly Dan. ;)

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ok, I'm joking. I didn't read the article, but I did see Earthquake in Sensurround. There was a scroll before the feature that began with ATTENTION! and explained that the film was in Sensurround and was capable of rattling your teeth, etc.

Dan

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Lorne Greene's finest screen performance.

carrick doone and Mister Charlie like this.
  8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Victoria Principal was hot!!!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have two original MCA Sensurround amps, removed from a Los Angeles theatre several years ago.
    Sensurround1.jpg Sensurround2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    McLover, rmos, mdm08033 and 3 others like this.
  10. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Come back Logan5! :cry:

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I remember Cerwin Vega speakers being a much bigger part of Sensurround than BGW amps. The speakers were F'in' enormous (and there were lots of 'em, too).

The worst part for the theaters showing Earthquake and the other Sensurround films is if you were showing, say, a quiet dramatic love story in the theater next door. Yikes!

Lotsa info on Sensurround over on Wikipedia.

McLover and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

When my wife and I went to go see a showing of "The American President" in late 1995, in the theater next door they were screening "Money Train" with Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes which, I guess, was an action/adventure flick. Well...about every 15 minutes you'd hear the equivalent of an earthquake next door and to this day, if we are watching something quiet, be it on TV or in the theater, and we hear a loud rumbling noise outside, we look at each other and say "Uh-oh, Money Train!".

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Yep! My recollection is that whilst EARTHQUAKE was playing at the beautiful (heavy sarcasm) Everett Mall I-II-III in one auditorium, I was next door watching BENJI, and the whole place shook and rumbled. It was not the typical thing like you hear in multiplexes today, where some sound leaks through. It was LOUD and beyond just being a distraction.

McLover and driverdrummer like this.
  14. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

It's amusing to read this on that Wikipedia page:

I have that CD and will have to give it a spin tomorrow. :)

McLover likes this.
  15. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

And Ava Gardner's too! (she played his daughter!)

16. MLutthans

At this site, I found schematics for the "W" horn, apparently one of three varieties available for the Sensurround subwoofers. (See below.) Whenever I'm at the Dundee Theatre in Omaha, Nebraska, I'm always impressed by the bass in their sound system. Below are photos I took of the subwoofers, which are in front of the screen, not behind. Are these from the Sensurround days????
    Screen shot 2010-10-17 at 7.56.07 AM.jpg Screen shot 2010-10-17 at 7.56.19 AM.png OmahaNE-Dundee124.Subwoofers.JPG OmahaNE-Dundee123.Subwoofer2.JPG OmahaNE-Dundee122.subwoofer.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    McLover likes this.
  17. MLutthans

SENSURROUND LIVES....well, sort of. Tonight, I did a little "location recording" for a group in Seattle, and I needed an amp to power a talkback speaker on stage via a long cable run, so I brought Ye Olde original Sensurround Amp out of mothballs, and it worked like a charm, as anticipated.

Here's a shot from the recording session, showing the amp on the floor at lower right.
    DSC_0792SHTV.jpg DSC_0793SHTV.jpg
    By the way, if you saw Earthquake or Midway during its premiere run in Los Angeles, you heard the rumble via this very amplifier (and its two mates).

Nothing earth-shattering to post; just thought it was kind of cool to post a relic still functioning. (Should have posted a self-portrait, I know....)

McLover, rmos, Mister Charlie and 4 others like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet it wasn't the dearth of action-oriented, throbbing thumping movies that killed Sensurround...it was theater managers hearing from the patrons in the theaters next door over!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Tina Dico - Break Of Day

driverdrummer likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there were two reasons:

1) audiences didn't care

2) notoriously-cheap theater owners didn't want to spend the money on more speakers and amps.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I saw Earthquake in Sensurround and it wasn't really a memorable experience. Kind of "eh..." I remember being excited to see what it was about beforehand, too. Yet, still, it didn't make any kind of impression on me. I do remember walking in and see all these big speaker cabinets and thinking: "this is going to be good...." But it wasn't anything special. I think Vidiot is right when he says audiences didn't care. Like other people here, it seemed more impressive when you were at a movie next door to a theater having a showing.

21. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I've always wanted to experience Sensurround just to have done so, but would be more interested to hear other films presented with some of the same equipment, as many theaters supposedly left it intact long after the process died out.

22. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I knew it was coming but it still freaked me out, mainly because as the sound was fading in I assumed that it was just another train that ran right by and next to this old theater. As things started to really shake for one split second I thought 'whoa!', but then seeing the quake/theater scene right in front of my onscreen (an obvious, old 50s horror flick cliche) and then I remembered this was the whole reason to be watching the movie, the new technology (not because it was a drama...more of a 70s soap opera) I enjoyed the thundering bass , it was new and it was all around me and the old building rattled and shook.

This IS earthquake country, you know. heh

23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I saw Earthquake in Sensurround when I was 10 at a theater in Syosset, Long Island. I thought it was pretty neat. I remember having to wait a long time on line in the freezing cold too.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm planning to make a movie about the Antarctic in SensaCold. We'll just drop the temp 100 degrees, 1 degree a minute, so the audience really feels the story.

Wally Swift likes this.
  25. MLutthans

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The above photos were from 2010, I believe. I was back at the Dundee in Omaha last week. It has been heavily renovated, and if the Sensurround (?) subs are still there, there are now out of sight. That said, they did a pretty good job with the visuals of the auditorium:
    P1010831SHTV.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.