What is bad about Capitol Vinyl Pressings of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slipperman87, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member Thread Starter

These copies seem to favor negatively when comparing it with U.K 1U pressings.

Also, how do second and beyond british pressings sound?

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I don't think the US' are bad, but they use higher generation tapes than the UK's so the sound (just like making a copy of a copy if you ever did taping) loses some of its presence or immediacy.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Many people here (including me) think the German pressings are right up there with the UK's. :agree:

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Capitol pressings of this LP usually have slightly veiled sound and increased surface noise. They also have less stereo separation and emanate from much higher generation tape copy dubs.

5. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I had a decent US copy for years before finally splurging and getting an excellent condition UK 1U set. The US sounds OK but the UK is great. It kills any cd version I've come across.

6. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

I have a purple Capitol in NM condition, nothing special with the surface noise, sounds ok to my ears

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Not to mention the crap Capitol vinyl.:realmad:

8. Slipperman87

How much better are the capitol pressings than the 2001 remaster?

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not even close. Much, much better.

10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I.I.N.M., at least initial U.S. pressings were mastered at Mediasound Studios in New York. It was their handywork that was noticeable on Mr. Harrison's "My Sweet Lord"/"Isn't It a Pity" (#2995) and "What Is Life"/"Apple Scruffs" (#1828) 45's (both of which by Bell Sound alumnus Dominick Romeo). I seemed to notice in some instances Mediasound lacquers had slightly duller high end that other mastering houses.

11. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Not a difficult feat. :)

12. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I've only heard US vinyl (I have 5 copies, 4 on Apple and 1 on orange Capitol), and never encountered any significant surface noise. The Capitol is the best sounding one of this lot.

The 1988 CD release was among the first CDs that I found unlistenable.

One of these days I'd like to hear a UK or German pressing. The tracks on the new Let It Roll compilation are the best that these songs have sounded on CD. Do the UK or German LPs sound even better than these?

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

One of the worst CDs ever. A rare case of way too MUCH dynamic range. My Sweet Lord is mastered so low that you have to turn the volume way up to even hear it. Then, Awaiting On You All comes on & it's the loudest track you have ever heard on CD, totally blowing you out of your seat. You cannot possibly listen to that CD at one steady volume. First pressings of The Best Of George Harrison have the same problem. :shake:

14. Slipperman87

How are non 1U pressings of the UK version. Are they still an improvement from the Capitol pressings?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My dad bought me ALL THINGS MUST PASS at Peaches in Hollywood on the day it was released. (You know that store that was right next to the Magic Store and the Hollywood old movie bookstore, Brents or Brians or whatever the heck it was called?) My Capitol Apple LP pressing is awesome and sounds almost exactly like the master tapes when I compared once. Damn close. Never bothered to look at the dead info though...

16. Slipperman87

I hope you still have it somewhere:goodie:

17. Slipperman87

How are non 1U pressings of the UK version.

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

If you still have it, please let us know what's in the dw!

19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

20. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

22. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I also have an original copy of the US Apple LP. I think it sounds great too. When I get a chance I'll look at the matrix numbers and see what they are.

23. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

As I read the top of this thread I decided to pull out my US Orange Apple copy and give it a spin (makes great Sunday morning listening too). I thought it sounded pretty good - and it is VERY quiet. I don't understand the lukewarm comments - BUT - I have never heard a UK or German pressing.

p.S. - Wah Wah does sound a bit thin and screechy, but doesn't it always? The rest sounds fine.

24. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

25. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I have an original US copy and its really hard to listen to. Its not noisy or anything, but it sounds like the tape machine was completely screwed up when they mastered the album (or maybe the cutting machine was messed up). There is a ton of flutter and it sometimes sounds like the pitch changes by up to a quarter tone. When I first listened to it I rushed to my turntable thinking that something had gone terribly wrong, but the strobe was showing that I was perfectly at speed. There also aren't any warps or visible defects, so I don't know what is going on with it. I'm not sure if all US copies are like this. I don't remember it sounding that way on my old Japanese copy (which was unfortunately stolen).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.