The Who Album-By-Album (& Single-By-Single) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Absolutely! Glad to see much love for Ready Steady Who!, another big and bouncy 45 is under way. :goodie:

2. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Happy Jack

http://www.*****/images/HJ-UK.jpg

UK: December 3, 1966 - Happy Jack / I've Been Away - Reaction 591010
    US: March 18, 1967 - Happy Jack / Whiskey Man - Decca 32114

UK

A1: Happy Jack (2:14) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    B1: I've Been Away (2:07) **
    (John Entwistle)

US

A1: Happy Jack (2:14) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    B1: Whiskey Man (2:57) ***
    (John Entwistle)

The Who's first American tour in September was cancelled due to VISA problems (and the fact that their Reaction label still hadn't worked out a deal with Decca on how to distribute the new material), so the group instead focused on getting an album done, and while they by late October had recorded a lot, they still hadn't cut their next single, and cancelled a few shows on their present European tour to record "Happy Jack". The song's subject matter, a hermit who lived on the Isle of Man, was culled from Pete’s childhood memories of his time at Isle Of Man, where his father Cliff had a band called The Squadronaires, who used to play there during the summers. Pete: "And they have this peculiar beachcomber there, who has an image sort of like Moondog, you know. And I spent a lot of time mocking him, and so did most of the kids, but he always seemed to be happy and he didn't mind. I don't even know what his name was. He used to try and come up and lead the donkeys that the kids rode on the beach, and then they'd chase him off. But he used to take everything kindly. Once he was sleeping on the beach and they actually physically buried him, and he would be suffocating, but he just laughed at them. It taught me something." The band had already done an acoustic version at IBC with Pete on cello, but on November 8th the group went into Regent Sound and did the backing track for the final version. Vocals and mixing was done at CBS, but while Keith may have taken over the band recently with the whole B-side of "Ready Steady Who", he was now relegated to just drumming (and ALL sorts of percussion - be it claves, tin boxes, clapping, shouting, timpani... Wait, we don't have timpani!), and they wouldn't even let him sing backing vocals, much to his disappointment. Keith was notorious for always singing the high parts, thus making everybody sound way out of tune, but this time around the band had learned their lesson, and he was asked to leave the studio, which of course was impossible. Pete elaborates: "Kit had to make him promise to lay on the floor in the control room down behind the glass so nobody could see him. So he lay there on the ground all the way through the number. And just at the very last few bars, his little head comes up and goes down again. And I shouted out, "I saw ya!"" They left that in. Musically it's as joyous, liberating, freewheeling and anarchic as anything done by The Who (or anyone) before it, taking the lead from "I'm A Boy", and again pushing the single format towards more progressive and manic territory. It leaps and bounces all over the place with everyone in the band taking the lead, and a killer Who "breakdown" working as a chorus. The vocals are also great, with shameless barbershop harmonies. The B-side "I've Been Away", literally came together because Pete and Roger was away (down the pub), so John and Keith jumped at the chance of making another B-side all by themselves. It took less time to record than it takes to play it, and accordingly sounds something like Hank Williams stuck in a merry-go-round! It took a while to get "Happy Jack" released as a single in the States, but it eventually came out in March 1967, with another John-track lifted from their second album; "Whiskey Man" as the B-side. John remembers the recording of his vocals on "Whiskey Man": "I always had trouble singing my r's, so I double-tracked my vocals. On one track I sang "fwend" and on the other "flend," hoping they'd come together as "friend."" Unfortunately for John it came together as a very clear, punctual, concise, authentic and convincing "flwend", especially evident in the stereo version. Regardless of that, with "Happy Jack", The Who were aiming to be all over the place, and they did it! The chorus of "Kids couldn't hurt Jack, they tried and tried and tried, they dropped things on his back, and lied and lied and lied and lied and lied, but they couldn't prevent Jack from feeling happy", could just as well have been the band shouting "You can hate us, ban us, misunderstand us, lie about us, but you can't spoil our fun!" It shot to number 3 in the UK, and took the group by surprise by climbing to number 24 in the US. Well done, lads (and our record buying flwends)!

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Great tune, but I prefer both Entwistle b-sides.

Evan

4. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

:bigeek:

5. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Wow! I think you're the first person I've heard saying that, but good to see Ox-fans taking a stand here. :thumbsup:

6. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

OK, friends, having spent the last few weeks on a giant Who-binge, I thought we'd do some audiophile catching up with the recent singles, starting off with "Sobstitoote" (put that cigarette down)! :cool:

For MONO "Substitute", we seem to agree that the very best is the US version of Who's Better, Who's Best. It sounds full bodied, great, clear and punchy. Again, the MONO tracks on the UK versions were played back on a stereo deck, and while they still sound pretty good - the US is TRUE MONO. Polydor's The Singles seems to have the same problem. "Substitute" is also on Steve's Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy, but is not among the best tracks off that compilation. It sounds rather thin (again - probably due to a bad tape). The The 1st Singles Box is clear, but too compressed. Add a little NR to that, and you've got Then And Now. I won't mention that disc from now on unless I have to.

As jacksondownunda correctly pointed out, the US Atco has alternate lyrics. This version was previously only digitally available (in typical Who-fashion) on the Best Buy Exclusive Bonus Disc (or the BBEBD in Who-terms, lol) of The Ultimate Collection. While this comp is notorious for being loud, louder and NR'ed (the mastering on the bonus disc is pretty much identical to the rest of the set), it was all we had until the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, which unfortunately is absolutely identical to The Ultimate Collection. I will recommend the 2008, as that is easier to find. There is no STEREO mix of "Substitute".

For "Circles" (B-side of "Substitute"), Rarities Vol. 1 is the forum favourite. It is great, and holds its own even up against Steve's Two's Missing LP (and that says a LOT). The vocals might be a bit clearer on Steve's mastering, but all in all I'm actually giving the nod to Rarities Vol. 1 for a slightly better bottom end (remember that only the vinyl version was mastered by Steve). The 2008 Japanese A Quick One is also pretty good, and very clear, but it pales in comparison to Rarities Vol. 1. There is no STEREO mix of this one either. I also have to correct myself here - this version is 2:30 long, and not 3:12 as my earlier post stated.

For "Waltz For A Pig", there is only one source, and that is the Reaction 45. It's not a Who-song (it's The Graham Bond Organization credited as The Who Orchestra), but nevertheless included here.

For "A Legal Matter" MONO, the 2008 Japanese My Generation is the forum favourite, and it sounds great. As you may know the 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition] also includes a great sounding MONO "A Legal Matter". I compared the two, and they are definitely from the same source, and sound tonally almost identical, but as the waveforms also proves - the 2002 is actually louder than the 2008. Steve's Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy sounds several generations removed from the master (as does the Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B box). The EQ is also better on the 2008 version, making it a clear choice here, although it could be argued that the 2008 owes a lot to the 1990 The Who Sings My Generation, although I personally think that only one track ("Circles") was lifted from it.

We have a STEREO version of "A Legal Matter" on the 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition], which is enjoyable, but is missing the overdubbed lead guitar before the "You ain't the first and you ain't the last"-part, which unfortunately takes away a lot from the song.

The forum favourite of the MONO IBC "Circles" version as featured on the B-side of "A Legal Matter" and present forum favourite is the 2008 Japanese My Generation, and I find that strange, as it is lifted straight from the 1990 The Who Sings My Generation, and made louder. Unfortunately the only other source we have is The 1st Singles Box, which is a needledrop with tons of vinyl noise, but it also sounds a lot more open than the 1990/2008. It sounds like it has some kind of tape warble in the right channel around 0.58, though, which could be down to playing a MONO song on STEREO equipment. The 1990/2008 is clearer and more consistent than The 1st Singles Box. It's also not as loud (that goes for both of them). I have to say that all in all The 1st Singles Box is a much more involving listen at first listen - it rocks more, but it has zero headroom, and the 1990/2008 is a welcome change from the noise. None of them are great, though. If I had to pick one I'd go for the 1990 The Who Sings My Generation (not the 1988, which is fake stereo) as The 1st Singles Box has too many problems. But don't buy it just for this track, stick with the 2008 Japanese My Generation, which is the same mastering (for this track), only amplified.

The 2008 Japanese My Generation CD also has an alternate MONO mix of "Circles", which is the only "Circles" that exists on Shel's MONO master tape WhiteFang heard back in 2002. This mix is called "Mix 1", and sounds so much better than the sources we have for the single mix "Mix 2?". The mix differences are really subtle, and if you don't mind them, this is a very good coice for this song! My favourite digital version for sure!

A very good STEREO version of the IBC "Circles" can be found on the 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition], which is a bit longer than the MONO version, but is missing John's horn part.

For "The Kids Are Alright" MONO, the 2008 Japanese My Generation is the best choice. It sounds great - very close to the original Brunswick, but with a better bottom end. We also have a SINGLE VERSION of that one, the shamelessly edits that great volcano in the bridge. Steve's Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy is your choice there.

For STEREO "The Kids Are Alright", the 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition] is the best - and sole option.

The same applies to "The Ox"; MONO on the 2008 and STEREO on the 2002 (although the STEREO mix is a bit too relaxed for my taste, but it's good to have Nicky a bit lower in the mix, and Keith really shines here with a great drum sound as well).

For MONO "I'm A Boy", Polydor's The Singles is the best by a fairly large margin. It is clear and has good fidelity with great EQ. The 2008 Japanese A Quick One is a good number two with a bit clearer vocals, but louder and a bit colder sounding overall. The 1st Singles Box sounds dreadful, and has all life sucked out of it by some really heavy handed NR (what source did they use here anyway? An acetate?).

For STEREO "I'm A Boy", either Who's Better, Who's Best sounds great (if you don't have this title, go with the US, as you get the TRUE MONO cuts as well), but the 2008 A Quick One is pretty good as well. If you're prepared to do some EQ, some forum members prefer the 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy with the following EQ courtesy of Luke:

-1 dB gain
    - high shelf @ 7kHz, +6 dB
    - 4.6kHz, Q of 1.3 (the normal setting in the EQ I'm using), -6 dB
    - 3kHz, Q of 0.96, -5 dB.

Both Then And Now and The Ultimate Collection are compressed and NR'ed to death, but The Ultimate Collection tries to fix the small dropout in the left channel at about 3 seconds in, Then And Now does not, and it is actually more audible there than on Who's Better, Who's Best.

A STEREO REMIX was done in 1994, and was first found on the Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Box. It has no horn, and sounds rather sterile, but if you like that one I'd advice you to seek out the 1996 My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who. Not a good disc, with plenty of fake stereo, but "I'm A Boy" has better EQ than on the box (plus that unique remix of "Won't Get Fooled Again").

For "In The City" MONO, the Polydor Rarities Vol. 1 is the forum favourite, and it sounds excellent. We have still not compared it to the 2007 Japanese Exciting The Who CD, so that might be a contender, but the 2008 A Quick One (while very clear) is too loud/compressed. Rarities Vol. 1 is a safe bet. It sounds great and unfutzed with. "In The City" sounds killer in MONO, btw.

With STEREO "In The City", there is no current forum favourite, although some like the 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy CD. I'm tempted to recommend that, as our other options are the 1995 or 2003 A Quick One (note that the bonus tracks for some reason are mastered louder on the 2003 than on the 1995), and The 1st Singles Box. They're all quite clean, but LOUD. Also note that the 1995 version has half a count in (Keith says "our"), and the 2003 version has a full count in (Keith says "four"). The 1st Singles Box has none. The 1995 A Quick One is the best sound of that bunch, but it's still quite shrill. I normally don't recommend a mastering I haven't heard, and I haven't heard the 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy, but Matthew is a good and trusted Who-friend, so I'll recommend that one! Add the EQ as suggested by Luke on "I'm A Boy" - or if you go for the 2003 A Quick One, here's an EQ suggestion from Luke (notice -7.5 dB gain):

- -7.5 dB gain
    - high shelf @ 7.5kHz, +3 dB
    - 4kHz, Q of 0.90, -4.5 dB

On the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, I was surprised to find a STEREO REMIX of "In The City" with much bigger separation. It sounds much more like a 60's mix than the narrow 1995 mix. The sound is not great, but OK. It has no count in. Come to think of it, Matthew said in a post that the 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy was the only place to get a STEREO "In The City". Perhaps he meant this new mix, and thought of the 1995/2003 as FAKE STEREO (the 1995/2003 has vocal separation)? That could be - so maybe the 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy has the same mix as the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, but for now I'll recommend the 2008 A Quick One for this unique mix.

MONO and STEREO "La-La-La-Lies" and MONO and STEREO "The Good's Gone" both have the same source recommendations as "A Legal Matter" and "The Ox". For MONO, go for the 2008 Japanese My Generation, and for STEREO the 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]. The STEREO "La-La-La-Lies" is missing a couple of overdubs, evident when the backing vocals suddenly cuts mid-sentence right before the Pete's solo.

We also have a full version STEREO mix of "The Good's Gone", that can be found on the 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]. Not much happens during the last 30 seconds, but if you're not into fades - you should check it out!

For "Disguises" MONO, Polydor's Rarities Vol. 1 is the way to go. The 1995 A Quick One and the 2008 Japanese A Quick One are LOUD and thin sounding! It turned up in STEREO on the 1994 Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B, with some really bad EQ choices (it screeches with a massive treble boost). Then again on the 2003 A Quick One, which sounds tonally the same as the 1994 box, but amplified INCREDIBLY LOUD! Again, we'll have to trust Matthew and his 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy CD.

"Batman" in MONO can be found in killer sound on Rarities Vol. 1. The 2008 A Quick One sounds really bad, compressed and squashed to bits. It appeared in very narrow STEREO on the 1995 A Quick One. It doesn't sound good at all. The vocals are piercing. The bonus tracks were for some reason mastered (even) louder on the 2003, but for some reason the overblown compression helps to tone down the vocals and guitars, making it sound somewhat more listenable here. Then it reappeared on the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, where they obviously tried to fix the screeching with some heavy handed EQ. It makes for an overall more pleasing listen, and it is not as loud as the 2003. The STEREO version has a couple of vocal lines missing.

There's an INSTRUMENTAL version of "Batman" in MONO on the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, which is fun, but far from essential.

"Bucket "T"" in MONO is also there in great, great sound on Rarities Vol. 1. It doesn't sound too bad on the 1995 A Quick One either, but the EQ is so much better on Rarities Vol. 1. The 2008 Japanese A Quick One sounds the same as the 1995.

For STEREO, the only way to go is the 2003 A Quick One, which sounds quite a bit better than the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, which has a weird metallic effect going and a couple of dropouts not present on the 2003. The 2003 is of course super loud, but a lot clearer.

"Barbara Ann" in MONO can also be found on Rarities Vol. 1. In other words THE place to get your Ready Steady Who in digital, although it is a close call between Rarities Vol. 1 and Steve's Who's Missing here. Rarities Vol. 1 has the overall edge, though. The 1995 A Quick One has half a count in ("our") and sounds half good, but shrill compared to the tubey sound of Rarities Vol. 1 and Who's Missing. The 2008 Japanese A Quick One sounds the same as the 1995.

A great STEREO "Barbara Ann" with a full count in appeared on the 2003 A Quick One, with pretty good sound. A bit narrower STEREO REMIX with worse fidelity appeared on the 2008 Japanese A Quick One. An OK variation, but far from essential.

For "Happy Jack" in MONO, the forum favourite is the US Who's Better, Who's Best, which is great, and sounds closer to the master than Steve's Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy. A good alternative would be the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, which is louder, but sounds very good.

A MONO REMIX turned up on Polydor's 1984 The Singles, and once again on the 2008 Japanese A Quick One. I haven't had the chance to check possible mix variations between the single and album version of "Happy Jack", but this could be a second mix made before its inclusion on the 1967 US Happy Jack album. For now we call it a MONO REMIX. The differences are subtle, but it takes away some of Keith and Pete's shouting in the last "breakdown", which is a bad idea imho. It sounds great on The Singles, and tonally almost identical, but way too loud on the 2008 Japanese A Quick One. Stick with the The Singles CD for this one. We have no STEREO "Happy Jack", although it has turned up here and there in godawful FAKE STEREO (The 1st Singles Box being one example).

There are also the ACOUSTIC versions of "Happy Jack". The 1995 A Quick One and the 2008 Japanese A Quick One share the same mastering for the version with Pete on Cello. Then there's the ALTERNATE ACOUSTIC version, which is identical - minus the cello, that can only be found on the BBEBD (see "Substitute") of The Ultimate Collection, sounding very much the same as the A Quick One-mastering. These, and the "Batman" INSTRUMENTAL will not be mentioned in the rundown below, as they're not master takes from the singles.

For "Whiskey Man" in MONO, the 1988 MONO Polydor A Quick One is excellent - one of my most treasured CD's, and I've been holding out to do these comparisons as I've been looking for it, but can't find it! The last time I played it was up against the Classic Records A Quick One LP, and the CD won by a mile. The 2008 Japanese A Quick One version sounds good to be, but other forum members have pointed out that it's not as good as the 1988 CD, so I will keep that as my recommended version. The 2008 gets second place!

I'm a fan of STEREO A Quick One, and the original STEREO mix of "Whiskey Man" is pretty cool. It was not remixed for the 2003 A Quick One, and although it's loud, it sounds very good. Tonally close to the 1966/1981 LP's. The same mastering was used on the 2008 Japanese A Quick One. The forum favourite for this is the 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy, though, and since that probably has been played up against the 2003 - I will put that up as my recommended version for now - although I haven't heard it. Remember to stay clear of the 1995 A Quick One for this, it is FAKE STEREO.

A big warm hug goes out to all the good people at SH.TV that have helped me in my quest. :cheers:

Here's the rundown:

Substitute - MONO: US Who's Better, Who's Best
    Substitute [US Single Version] - MONO: 2008 Japanese A Quick One
    Circles [B-side of "Substitute] - MONO: Rarities Vol. 1
    Waltz For A Pig [The Who Orchestra] - MONO: UK Substitute 45
    A Legal Matter - MONO: 2008 Japanese My Generation [Mono]
    A Legal Matter - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    Circles [B-side of "A Legal Matter] - MONO: 1990 The Who Sings My Generation
    Circles [B-side of "A Legal Matter] - MONO REMIX: 2008 Japanese My Generation [Mono]
    Circles [B-side of "A Legal Matter] - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    The Kids Are Alright - MONO: 2008 Japanese My Generation [Mono]
    The Kids Are Alright [Single Version] - MONO: Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy
    The Kids Are Alright - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    The Ox - MONO: 2008 Japanese My Generation [Mono]
    The Ox - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    I'm A Boy - MONO: The Singles
    I'm A Boy - STEREO: US Who's Better, Who's Best
    I'm A Boy - STEREO REMIX: My Generation - The Best Of The Who
    In The City - MONO: Rarities Vol. 1
    In The City - STEREO: 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy
    In The City - STEREO REMIX: 2008 Japanese A Quick One
    La-La-La-Lies - MONO: 2008 Japanese My Generation [Mono]
    La-La-La-Lies - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    The Good's Gone - MONO: 2008 Japanese My Generation [Mono]
    The Good's Gone - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    The Good's Gone [Full Version] - STEREO: 2002 My Generation [Deluxe Edition]
    Disguises - MONO: Rarities Vol. 1
    Disguises - STEREO: 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy
    Batman - MONO: Rarities Vol. 1
    Batman - STEREO: 2008 Japanese A Quick One
    Bucket "T" - MONO: Rarities Vol. 1
    Bucket "T" - STEREO: 2003 A Quick One
    Barbara Ann - MONO: Rarities Vol. 1
    Barbara Ann - STEREO: 2003 A Quick One
    Barbara Ann - STEREO REMIX: 2008 Japanese A Quick One
    Happy Jack - MONO: US Who's Better, Who's Best
    Happy Jack - MONO REMIX: The Singles
    Whiskey Man - MONO: 1988 German A Quick One
    Whiskey Man - STEREO: 2007 Japanese I'm A Boy

7. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

This is also on the Japanese Exciting the Who CD, and sounds good, though I suspect that the speed is a bit off.

Thanks very much for the detailed thoughts.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

One shouldn't really worry about that track as it is the Graham Bond Orchestra and not the Who.

Evan

9. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

That was quick! :righton:

It seems like there is no MONO "In The City" after all on the I'm A Boy/Exciting The Who-set, which means we'll have to stick to Rarities Vol. 1.

10. Mike D'Aversa

Sidenotes -

Mono "I'm A Boy" is also available on 2006 JPN 'Direct Hits', with similar mastering to the 'A Quick One' box set...

The alternate/mono remix "Happy Jack" made an additional appearance on the '30 Years Of Maximum R&B' box. As well as on 2006 JPN 'Direct Hits' in quality similar to the 'A Quick One' box...

11. glea

glea Forum Resident

Happy Jack is a most fabulous song. Loved hearing it live so many times. We loved the Who and John E so much my big brother made us do this 8mm film of Whiskey Man in 1967. (we also were known to play I've Been Away) A few years ago he grabbed the reel from my vault and fixed it up and correct the wild sync. I'm in there. Pete, who plays the Whiskey Man is no longer with us... motorcycle and a tree. Ironically, he'd just bought a neighborhood bar. He was also responsible for some great gig photos, but his g/f threw them all out when he died! I recovered some others from the "doctor", Jack Sielaff.

The Drunk, my bro, and me had a band at the same time... our attempt to play Who Sell Out at a Rainbow Girls dance was not well received. view the vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkF9V86Qnk
    BTW, the location is the house I grew up in. this modest little Willow Glen Spanish Style is now a bazilllion dollar property. When my dad said, "we should have stayed", I reminded him how much he hated what happened to San Jose. What were you doing in 1967?

12. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

"happy jack" and "magic bus" are imho the weakest of the early singles... not bad, but average....

13. Mike D'Aversa

Only if you prefer melody to the exclusion of rhythm...

14. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

An honourable mention also to The Damned, who have a terrible (and really badly recorded) live version on the deluxe version of their first album.

15. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Thanks so much for that legendary video! You guys really captured the essence of the song there. A good thing it didn't stay in the archives. The clip reminded me that there really is a unique and magic quality to 8mm film, and it stayed with us from 1932 to the early 90's.

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

While I don't mind "Happy Jack", it doesn't do much to excite me. I'm kinda with the guy who said that he prefers the Entwistle sides to it, especially "Whiskey Man".

17. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

As much as I love the Who, they botched both chances at 'Circles'.
    Fleur de Lys' version is definitive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk87ubr6a2s

18. Mike D'Aversa

The best part of "Happy Jack" is the instrumental work. The Who never recorded a more exciting/satisfying bass, drums, and rhythm guitar backing track (both electric and acoustic guitars from Pete). More complex, yes. But not better.

Anybody who doesn't like "Happy Jack", make sure you're at least not listening to the "alternate" version. The differences are fairly subtle/not drastic, but all to the song's detriment. That early mix should have never been allowed to see the light of day. It has infected way too many compilations over the years, and hasn't done HJ's reputation any favors...

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Didn't say I don't like Happy Jack.....I just think the Entwistle b-sides are stronger tunes. HJ is kinda repetitive for me(and I am a BIG Who fan).

Evan

20. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Whiskey Man is a pretty awesome tune. Still, Happy Jack is a classic in addition to being somewhat unique. When I was younger, I never quite got into it, but over the years I have grown to appreciate it.

22. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

That's a very important sidenote! How could I forget the 2006 Japanese Direct Hits? I pulled it out and listened to "I'm A Boy", and found it to be a quite different animal from the 2008 Japanese A Quick One, obviously from another source with tape artefacts (listen to the beginning), but much fuller sounding than A Quick One imho. Not as loud either. The Singles has best of both worlds though. No tape issues, and almost perfect sound. Still, Direct Hits is a clear number two!

"Substitute" too sounds brilliant on Direct Hits, tonally almost identical to the US Who's Better, Who's Best. A bit louder, but still warmly recommended! The same goes for "In The City". Great sound, comparable to Rarities Vol. 1.

I also made a big mistake with "Bucket "T"" by saying that the 1995 A Quick One and the 2008 Japanese A Quick One share the same mastering, as they do not. While tonally similar, the 1995 is not anyway near as loud, and has a count-in as well (stuck at the end of "Batman", while the count in for "Barbara Ann" is stuck at the end of "Bucket "T"").

While I still think "Bucket "T"" sounds a tiny bit better on Rarities Vol. 1, there's really not a huge difference between that and the 2006 Japanese Direct Hits, apart from the latter being much louder. The 1995 A Quick One is actually a pretty good alternative, and has more headroom than Direct Hits. but not as pleasant EQ. I find Direct Hits somewhat easier to listen to. The 2008 Japanese A Quick One is the loudest of the bunch, and sounds like an amplified 1995 without the count-in.

"Happy Jack" sounds a bit muffled on Direct Hits, though (and it's the "wrong" version), but that's a minor complaint about a great release! Thanks for reminding me, Mike!

23. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

We've seen a brilliant DIY "Whiskey Man"-promo from 1967 posted here by glea, but I think we forgot to mention the classic "Happy Jack" promo video shot December 19th by Michael Lindsay Hogg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chjFHD5694I

24. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

25. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Glad to see so much love for "Happy Jack". And now... *drum roll* It's time for another album! :goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.