The Beatles "Rain" appreciation thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kippyy, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

One of their greatest ever works IMO, carries on from the "Ticket to Ride" model and takes it several stages further. The ensemble performance is perfect and there are two strokes of genius involved, the slowing down of the backing track and the backwards vocals at the end, oh and McCartneys' bass lines...three strokes of genius...and Ringos' drumming...four strokes of genius......(with apologies to the Spanish Inquisition...:D ).

Aftermath likes this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !

zobalob likes this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

In mono it's a masterpiece ,
    in stereo it's rubbish !

: )

Yes ! a gem an
    absolute gem !

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Are you sure that's "If the rain comes..." and not "When the rain comes..." ?

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Probably one of my top five Beatles faves too -- but only in its MONO mix. :righton:
    First use of backwards tapes, IINM.

The Stereo is a crappy mix that buries the vocals, lacks punch, etc.

To answer one of the OP's questions:

The song did make an album -- "Hey Jude" -- but they used the crap Stereo mix... it may have been mixed in Stereo for the first time just for inclusion onto this album.

"Hey Jude" was a compilation of some singles and some album tracks, I think originally only as a U.S. album, but later it was also issued by Parlophone/EMI in England.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I always include "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" as bonus tracks to "Revolver" as they were recorded during the "Revolver" sessions.

The same is true with "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out". I always add them as bonus tracks to "Rubber Soul".

"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" originally belongs to "Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band" album.

I will combine "All You Need Is Love" "Baby You're A Rich Man" , "Hello Goodbye" , the "Magical Mystery Tour EP " ("Magical Mystery Tour", "The Fool on the Hill", "Flying" , "Blue Jay Way", "Your Mother Should Know" and "I Am the Walrus") to the new Beatles' songs in "Yellow Submatine" album ( "Only A Northern Song", "Altogether Now" , "Hey Bulldog" , and "It's All Too Much" to form an album of songs they recorded in 1967 after Sgt. Pepper.

7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

So I guess you would dump "Lady Madonna" and "The Inner Light" on the same disk as well? This would essentially add the Yellow Sub assortment and the first 68 single to the Mystery Tour LP, and provide a great way of dealing with those pesky orphans. Guess you'd have to put "Across the Universe" on there as well. ("Hey Jude"/"Revolution" belongs to white album, of course).

Actually, that sounds like a really great disk!

8. protay5

protay5 Member

"Paperback Writer"/"Rain" fights it out with "Jumping Jack Flash"/"Child of the Moon" for my favorite a/b disk. I discovered it on the Hey Jude album, which made me buy Revolver, & generally started my investigation of pre-1968 music. :)

The lyrics are tremendous -- simple but suggestive, John's tough philosopher in a nutshell. The drumming knocks me out, I think it was Ringo's favorite Beatles recording. Where did he get the idea for that stop-start stuff? Not like jazz, not like classical, not like any previous pop I know -- is it somehow influenced by Indian?

The video on Anthology is cool too -- I still haven't seen the original outdoor promo, so I don't know how that was cobbled together. But it seems like the outdoor stuff focuses on Ringo walking, which could acknowledge his big part in the song.

Aftermath likes this.
  9. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Side 1
    Taxman
    Eleanor Rigby
    I'm only sleeping
    Love you to
    Here there and everywhere
    Yellow submarine
    Paperback Writer
    She said she said

Side 2

Good day sunshine
    And your bird can sing
    For no one
    Dr Robert
    I want to tell you
    Rain
    Got to get you into my life
    Tomorrow never knows

:cool::agree::righton:

10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

One of Ringo's finest moments on tape- a great, great performance. Play this for your friends who think Ringo is the luckiest hack in rock history.

11. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

One of my favorite tunes ever. First heard it on Past Masters, and I was truly dumbfounded. Really stands out as one of the lads' best for me.

12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The isolation of the backing track from the Anthology Video surround sound track----adjusted to the original recorded speed-----is impressive and hypnotic. And there're a few guitar nuances I never picked up on as well.

Aftermath likes this.
  13. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

EMI or Capital would never have agreed to a 16 track album from the Beatles in 1966. As it was Capital Records was breaking up all the UK 14 track albums into 11-12 track records for the US.

14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

... which means Capitol would have been the one to find a suitable LP placement (US Revolver or Y&T), per my post #13 above.

15. AudiophilePhil

Here is my idea of a better Magical Mystery Tour LP

1. "All You Need Is Love"
    2. "Baby You're A Rich Man"
    3. "Hello Goodbye"
    4. "Magical Mystery Tour"
    5. "The Fool on the Hill"
    6. "Flying"
    7. "Blue Jay Way"
    8. "Your Mother Should Know"
    9. "I Am the Walrus"
    10."Only A Northern Song"
    11."Altogether Now"
    12."Hey Bulldog"
    13."It's All Too Much"
    14. Lady Madonna
    15. The Inner Light

"Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" originally belongs to "Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band" album.

"Across The Universe" (the wildlife version) belongs to the "Let It Be/Get Back" sessions together with its slower version.

16. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

But this was recorded the day after "Lady Madonna". It was only put on "Let It Be" because the Beatles were seen rehearsing the song; it was already an old track by the time of the Twickenham rehearsals.

17. AudiophilePhil

I'm aware of that too.

OK. It's going to be a 16-track "Magical Mystery Tour" album to replace both the Capitol "Magical Mystery Tour" and the EMI "Yellow Submarine" LP's.

3. "Hello Goodbye"
    4. "Magical Mystery Tour"
    5. "The Fool on the Hill"
    6. "Flying"
    7. "Blue Jay Way"
    8. "Your Mother Should Know"
    9. "I Am the Walrus"
    11."Altogether Now"
    12."Hey Bulldog"
    13."It's All Too Much"
    14. "Lady Madonna"
    15. "The Inner Light"
    16. "Across The Universe" (the wildlife version)

Tracks 1-3, 14 and 15 originally released as singles
    Tracks 4-9 "Magical Mystery Tour" EP
    Tracks 10-13 "Yellow submarine" LP
    Track 16 only appeared in "Rarities" or "Past Masters" compilations

18. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

:thumbsup: :cheers:

19. AudiophilePhil

That's the compilation I am planning to make when I already have my pre-ordered Beatles Remasters Box Sets (stereo and mono).
    That would be a killer Beatles' album!

20. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

:righton:

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I happen to like the "Yellow Submarine" instrumentals. It would be nice if the remasters had as bonus tracks the instrumentals from "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help" to tiddy it all up nice.

You still have a top compilation there.

22. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Ok. Now we're really getting somewhere. With a little jigging, we can get a sequence that reflects the best of both worlds, and looks at both the sessions themselves as well as the release dates.

First, let's put "Hello Goodbye" AFTER Mystery Tour tracks. It was recorded with Mystery Tour, and put on the B-side of "I Am the Walrus", which it would now follow.

Next, let's shuffle the YS tracks a bit, and put the older ones "It's All Too Much" and "Only A Northern Song" - both recorded in early '67 with Sgt Pepper - first, followed by "All Together Now" and "Hey Bulldog".

This sets up nicely for the pre-India sessions, as it puts "Bulldog" in proximity to to "Lady Madonna" and "Across the Universe", all of which were recorded in Feb 68. Finally I'd put "The Inner Light", recorded in Jan and Feb 68, last but not least.

So now you've got: the mid-67 single, Mystery Tour sessions including the late-67 single, the YS titles collected chronologically, and the early '68 recordings.

3. "Magical Mystery Tour"
    4. "The Fool on the Hill"
    5. "Flying"
    6. "Blue Jay Way"
    7. "Your Mother Should Know"
    8. "I Am the Walrus"
    9. "Hello Goodbye"
    11."It's All Too Much"
    12."Altogether Now"
    13."Hey Bulldog"
    14. "Lady Madonna"
    15. "Across The Universe" (original version)
    16. "The Inner Light"

Now this will be a really awesome disc, and a great project for that second week of September! And one that could be done in Stereo and in Mono. (I kind of hate to have to wait til September to compile.)

23. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard New Member

Should've been on Revolver, rain is a great track.

Aftermath likes this.
  24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

OK, minor correction to my own post - "All Together Now" was in fact recorded during the Sgt Pepper sessions, and not late '67; so, you could switch that with "It's All Too Much" and it would actually improve the flow by avoiding back-to-back Harrisongs.

3. "Magical Mystery Tour"
    4. "The Fool on the Hill"
    5. "Flying"
    6. "Blue Jay Way"
    7. "Your Mother Should Know"
    8. "I Am the Walrus"
    9. "Hello Goodbye"
    11."Altogether Now"
    12."It's All Too Much"
    13."Hey Bulldog"
    14."Lady Madonna"
    15."Across The Universe" (original version)
    16."The Inner Light"

Compiling in both MONO and STEREO will produce at least one major anomaly - stereo ATU will have all the WWF sound effects, while the mono version will be the pure Beatles recording, without the sound effects George Martin added in Oct 69 for the stereo release.

This neatly compiles what they were up to between PEPPER and THE BEATLES.

Sorry about the threadcrap to the RAIN thread, you may now resume your regularly-scheduled programming.

25. Karate Monkey

Karate Monkey New Member

Yes, it's "If the rain comes..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.