It's the 50th anniversary of Brubeck's "Time Out." Among the best ever recordings.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rolf Erickson, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I agree that all 4 contributed to this success, but from what I have read the two themes were by Paul Desmond but as you say with Brubeck helping to put it together. Maybe this quote from Paul Desmond is new to some: "At the time I really thought it was a kind of a throwaway," Desmond later reflected. "I was ready to trade the entire rights, lifetime-wise of Take Five for a used Ronson electric razor. And the thing that makes Take Five work is the bridge, which we almost didn't use. We really came within...I shudder to think how close we came to not using that, because I said 'Well, I got this theme that we could use for a middle part.' And Dave said 'Well, let's run through it." And that bridge is what made Take Five."

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Anyone who have bought the 50th Anniversary Deluxe edition of "Time Out" who wants to share his/her thought about its sound?

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

From what a relative has told me, I don't think audiences were more disoriented by it than today's listeners. This relative was in college when the single came out in 1961, and he said it was very popular with the college crowd. He bought the LP.

4. il pleut

il pleut New Member

that's pretty much the story i've always heard. and also that desmond and wright used to play together in "odd" time signatures just for kicks, and the themes for take 5 may have come from that. desmond and morello didn't get along for the first few years morello was in the band.

one thing that always annoys me is that people usually don't use the bridge when improvising, they just vamp on the 2 chords, which is pretty boring after awhile. i agree with desmond the bridge is very important in that tune.

5. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Considering that I have 1,000+ jazz records/CDs it's a bit odd that I've never heard (or had the inclination to hear) 'Time Out'.

I put this down to travelling on the London Underground where every busking sax player seems to know only one tune...I'll leave to guess which one...heard so many time I really ended up hating it.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No. I just assumed the CD side had the '97 mastering.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Very nice! Best Buy has had several UMG Deluxe Editions on sale for $14.99, but the Miles Sketches of Spain, Brubeck, and Mingus Legacy Editions were $19.99 when I was there recently. $19.99 isn't bad either, especially for the Brubeck set since you also get a DVD.

8. Inks

Inks New Member

I have the 92 gold disc and this new 50th Anniversary. So far I'm actually liking the 50th a lot more, it just seems more smooth and dynamic.

9. Jan

Jan New Member

Yes, sir!

Mono vinyl is the only way to fly for this baby. I wouldn't dream of playing a stereo version of this title.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'd really love to have the 50th anniversary edition.

It would have been perfect if the re-issue would have contained both stereo & mono mixes. They can fit onto a 80 min CD

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I wished they had put the mono version on the new deluxe CD set, it makes no sense. This album, especially the drums, are just so great in mono.

12. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Has anyone seen the documentary on the dvd from the 50th deluxe boxset?

13. My two-cents. (Sorry that I could not read the previous pages first to avoid redundancy.) By coincidence I rediscovered it just this summer by finding a nice looking Mono original. A great recording indeed, with great swinging bass and drums, and a superb, highly interesting music collection! I had heard it (stereo) years and years ago, and felt it suffered from overplay and was sort of clever for the sake of it. Wrong!

Now upon hearing that Mono version, I decided to unearth my wife's old original Stereo one to compare, and was surprised that it sounded real good too, and not so artificially panned as I expected.

14. It's a (roughly) 30 minute interview with Brubeck recorded in 2003.

It's interesting, but far too short. The 2nd disc containing all the previously unreleased live material is fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.