Lennon Gone 28 years now...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pencilchewer, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member Thread Starter

i'm surprised no one's made this thread already

yes, it's been that long, can you believe it?? :shake:

i was hoping to be able to take my friend's 17 yr old daughter down to Strawberry Fields, as she'd wanted to go months ago, but it doesn't look as if i'll be able.....there's an annual candlelight vigil/sing-a-long across from the Dakota, at the Imagine mosaic.... Yoko usually puts a couple of candles in John's favorite window, overlooking Central Park, and she's even been known to pass out hot chocolate to all the fools in the cold, freezing their fingers off playing acoustic guitars....

it doesn't feel like it's been that long....it's freaky, but it can still feel like a shock to me when i think about it.....am i alone with that feeling, or does anyone else kinda hafta think twice about him being gone sometimes, even to this day?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

seems like it was just yesterday that we lost John...one of the most tragic deaths in the history of music. Still bothers me to this day!

3. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

I was one of the millions that heard this from Howard Cosell. I can still grasp a little of the feeling that came over me. I also have never been able to listen to "Double Fantasy" since.

4. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

I too have "that" feeling every December 8. At one time (pre-1980) I couldn't conceive of a world without John Lennon in it, sadly I've had 28 years to live in such a world.

5. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I have just finished listening to the very last interview John & Yoko did at Geffen records just hours before his assassination. God bless him, he was so full of optimism for life, his music and his intentions. Such a revealing interview, touching on subjects on being a house-husband, his enjoyment in recording again, his intention to go out on the road after the completion of one more studio album and his work with two of his partners, Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono. Found this CD interview for a $1.00 in a cut-out bin and the best $1.00 I ever spent.

May you rest in Heaven Dear John, for you are missed and remembered always.

Rick A.

6. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll never forget driving down the Great Highway in San Francisco and hearing this horrible news flash on KSAN . I pulled over and cried and then I didn't do anything for 3 days. Such a tragic ending to such a great artist and man.

God Bless Dr. Winston O' Boogie

7. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It was a painful loss that still hurts today.

8. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member

I can't really relate so much to you guys because I wasn't born for another 8 years, but my mom who is not a music person at all whenever she sees me watching something on The Beatles just says that she still can't believe he's dead. Must've been a great culture shock to all of the world. RIP John.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes, I remember that cold december day :cry:

A sad loss for music fans around the world.

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I Have got over the fact Lennon is dead, I am still coming to terms with Harrison's passing though, at least Harrison went at peace:(!

Positives if there can be is that Lennon's death caused a lot of People to discover his and The Beatles music, and they would not be as popular today if the events on the 8th didn't take place IMO!

11. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I'm with you Howlinrock. I was working the 3rd shift back in those days and I heard the new presented on Monday Night football. I somehow gathered myself and went to work that night but within an hour I had to excuse myself for the evening. My boss at the time thought I was nuts and a bit of a wimp.

That boss is forgotten but John will never be!

Rick A.

12. anyday

anyday New Member

Me too, watching Monday Night Football.

Twenty-eight years? Seems like it could have been five.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Here in Seattle, we got the news in an odd way. KOMO, the ABC affiliate, was one of, I think, only two stations in the country that carried Monday Night Football on a tape-delay basis, so we had a break-in of the taped ABC football coverage by the local KOMO newscasters, then an hour or so later we got the coverage by Cosell on the tape-delayed MNF broadcast. I still remember just being shocked that somebody would shoot a BEATLE.

14. alexpop

I read the news today, oh boy !!! :cry:

I was walking about town and my eye caught a glimpse of the dreadfull news on the headline of a newspaper stand.

15. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

When I heard the news of John's death it literally took my breath away. I involuntarily gasped so hard, I couldn't have stopped it if I'd wanted to. It's still a bummer isn't it?

16. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

I don't remember hearing the news, but I do remember my reaction, and I still feel guilty about it to this day, even though there's no real reason to.

My mom had an old kind of beat up copy of Meet The Beatles, which I played to death when I was a very young child in the early-mid 70's. I used to use all of my allowance money to go buy Beatles records. I can remember going and buying the White Album when I was about 8, passing on the Sgt Pepper's picture disc because it was a dollar more than the regular LP, etc.

But I was 11 when John died, and I was going through that phase where you dislike on principle everything that you liked when you were a younger kid. I don't remember where I was or anything when I heard, but I do remember thinking along the lines of "Big deal, I don't like the Beatles anymore anyway."

Like I say, still feel kinda guilty about it.

Geoff

17. alexpop

(Just Like) Starting Over went number 1 on December 27-1980 for 5 weeks in a row in the US ..according to Billboard.

18. A very sad day, RIP John.

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

In an odd twist, it's also Jim Morrison's birthday. Also, this marks the day that heavy metal guitarist Dimebag Darrell was murdered on stage in Columbus, OH.

May all of them rest in peace.

steve_miller likes this.
  20. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

When John was killed, I was a fifteen year old rock music fan who didn't quite understand the significance of the Beatles.

28 years later I do. But I'm still sad that he's gone.

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Consider yourself lucky to have been born after the fact. It was devastating to this 13-year-old (in 1980) Beatlemaniac. :sigh:

22. RichmondFC

RichmondFC Member

I was 5 at the time he died, I remember my mum telling my dad that he had been killed, my memory though is that I thought his name was John Lemon. :help:

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

It's still hard to believe. :shake:

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

What happened here
    As the New York sunset disappeared
    I found an empty garden among the flagstones there
    Who lived here
    He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
    Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
    And now it all looks strange
    It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

And what's it for
    This little empty garden by the brownstone door
    And in the cracks along the sidewalk nothing grows no more
    Who lived here
    And we are so amazed we're crippled and we're dazed
    A gardener like that one no one can replace

And I've been knocking but no one answers
    And I've been knocking most all the day
    Oh and I've been calling oh hey hey Johnny
    Can't you come out to play

And through their tears
    Some say he farmed his best in younger years
    But he'd have said that roots grow stronger if only he could hear
    Who lived there
    Now we pray for rain, and with every drop that falls
    We hear, we hear your name

Johnny can't you come out to play in your empty garden

/Elton John & Bernie Taupin

25. LLP7

LLP7 Active Member

I too found out about the Beatles through my mother, she had everything through "Pepper", I started at age 5, and by age 10, was a huge fan when John was taken. I got the news the following morning. My alarm clock radio came on and they are playing "Imagine", and when it ended the DJ, clearly chocked up, said that John was murdered last night. I will never forget that moment.
    I still have a hard time listening to DF, watching the "Imagine" and "Anthology" DVDs.

Love you John.
    See you up there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.