jethro tull - teacher - i'm confused

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

bump

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"Seventeen" was originally about 6 minutes long and was only mixed into mono. It didn't make it onto the "Living In The Past" LP for unknown reasons, but it may well be that Ian doesn't like it. It did get onto the "20 Years" box, but in a shorter fade drenched in reverb. Seems Ian didn't even want to try to remix it into stereo. There's an even worse sounding version of that on the remastered "Stand Up" CD.

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The bonus track? IIRC, the "Benefit" remaster bonus tack has the "LITP" mix and not the one found on the U.S. Chrysalis version of "Benefit". The bonus track is also a bit shorter than the MoFi. Does this check out?

MoFi (& remaster bonus track):

piano: right
    vocals: center
    guitar: left
    bass: center
    second guitar (that comes in at the vocal): right

Is there an original non-remastered CD with the UK track listing? I remember buying "Benefit" at Tower Records in Tokyo in the early ninties. I think I had a choice between a copy with "Teacher" and a copy without (but I could be wrong on this one).

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

IIRC, I believe you are correct when it comes to "Teacher"

There was an original UK "Benefit" without "Teacher" from my understanding.
    Also I have "Benefit" from the Original's box with the UK track listing.

:cheers:

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks. I just re-read the earlier post and see you mentioned it (as did yesstiles - too many versions to keep track of). I assume the UK Chrysalis is the one Roland wrote doesn't sound as good as the US Chrysalis. How does the version from the "Originals" box compare with the others?

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The version of Teacher on the remaster and on LITP do not sound like the same version to me. For one...the LITP version is running slower, and secondly it sounds like it's got much more reverb on it. The instrumentation layout is the same....but the overall mix is way different.

Yes...there is a non-remastered CD with the original UK track listing. I have a German Chrysalis from the 80's with the original track listing. When comparing to the US Chrysalis...the common tracks don't sound as warm. It's a little brighter overall. Not terrible though.

7. jon9091

Not to answer for Tootull...but I have that one as well. It's a little smiley faced IMO. It's got a little NR on it as well IIRC.

8. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

:righton: Thanks for the ears. The remaster version also fades earlier. The speed is a bit different. I think that by the end of the song (where the remaster fades) instrumental "cues" that are half a second apart by the first minute are two seconds apart by the end. Something like that.

How many different versions of "Teacher" are there now? I am getting dizzy. Time to just listen and forget about it. :D

9. tootull

Yes, I forgot that I noticed the slower start speed (MFSL) - I mentioned it earlier.

Original's box version gives me the same impression as this.
    "When comparing to the US Chrysalis...the common tracks don't sound as warm. It's a little brighter overall. Not terrible though."

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Looks like I'll be sticking with the US Chrysalis.

I also remember "A Song For Jeffrey" on "Living In The Past" OR the 2 CD "The Best Of Tull - The Anniversary Collection" has reverse channels. I don't know which one is correct as I've never owned Tull's "This Was" album.

11. jon9091

Yeah...it's pretty crazy.
    BTW...
    Teacher on Benefit remaster=3:49
    Teacher on LITP=4:11

12. jon9091

The Anniversary Collection matches the US and German Chrysalis version of This Was. And that matches my original vinyl of that album. LITP/MFSL has the channels switched...and that also matches the way it was on the original LITP vinyl. So, it was screwed up way back then. :laugh:

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Screwed up? Naaaaw, they did that to get the remix credit for the album ;).
    Thanks for the info.

edit: a fun thread might be the differences between the "Living In The Past" album and the original albums. Other than noticing "Teacher" and "Song For Jeffrey," I haven't paid much attention to it.

14. tootull

"This Was" is best in mono. *CD Except for the vocal on "A Song For Jeffrey" strangely enough.
    :D I did not use the word "exorcise" lightly.

Right back at ya!

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Re "Song For Jeffrey": on my copy of This Was (Reprise), the vocal is on the left for the first verses, but in the center for the last verse. Also, the guitar and flute pan and switch channels for the flute solo, and the guitar jumps channels for the last verse. In LITP these elements are in the same place in the stereo mix throughout the song.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I agree -- that "A Song For Jeffrey" vocal on the mono CD blasts yer brains out! :eek:

What's the preferred version of "A Song For Jeffrey," anywhere, vinyl or CD, mono or stereo?

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is why I think this is the only remix on LITP (first-time stereo tracks nonwithstanding).

18. tootull

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Where does the mix for "Teacher" come from if it isn't a remix for the album?

What do you have?

"Teacher" from my U.S. Chrysalis:

piano: left of center (between the bass and guitar)
    vocals: center and right

"Teacher" from my MoFi (remix for the LITP album?):

piano: right
    vocals: center

20. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

A couple questions I've been meaning to ask.

The U.S. and U.K. vinyl pressings of "Living In The Past" have slightly different track listings. Is this the only difference? Do any of the songs common to the U.S. and U.K. vinyl pressings use different mixes?

Which songs were released in stereo for the first time on this compilation?

21. Lord Hawthorne

A Christmas Song
    Love Story
    Living In The Past
    Driving Song
    Sweet Dream
    Witch's Promise (remixed)(previously issued in stereo in Europe, but US single was mono)

First appearance anywhere:

Singing All Day
    Just Trying To Be
    Wond'ring Again
    (plus the live side)

22. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

:righton: Thank you. I didn't know there was a mono "Living In The Past" (actually, I've never heard the singles and didn't know mono versions existed for any of these).

23. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Stumbled on a Daffodil which he crush in the rush....

I think those last three (FAA) tracks... (right above) are three of my all-time fave Tull tracks and one of the reasons I love this sweet collection so.... :love:

The lyrics and playing (especially the mid-section playing) in Wond'ring Again are perfection and so sublime and emotional... a very top tull tune for me... :righton:

mrbill

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yep. :righton:

Wond'ring Again kills the lame re-do on the Aqualung album.

25. Lord Hawthorne

Probably Ian's best singing ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.