New Who Remasters: Including Mono Sell Out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I think there are still copies on Amazon.

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

sweet..:righton:

Loving the Sell Out, Direct Hits so far. Really sound very very nice to my ears and I'm glad I got these...My Generation is next...

3. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

A friend of mine living in Tokyo was able to get me all five CDs with the collector's slipcase, plus I'm a Boy. And I just paypal'd him $138.25 in return.

4. DJ WILBUR

seems to be a lot of slipcases out there...most interesting...:laugh:

Still I've been playing the heck outta these things and I love the sound on them I have to say.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I agree wholeheartedly. This has been a headphone favorite for some months now.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Someone's Coming mixes

I almost started a new thread about this, but I thought maybe I'd snag some folks who were subscribed to this one...

A few questions on this...:

1) What is different about mix 4? What "certain pressings" can it be found on? Single or double-tracked vocal?
    2) Am I correct in assuming this is mix 3?
    3) Does anyone have a version that sounds better than the link above? That hasn't been declicked at all, but it isn't too noisy to begin with.

Also, as an FYI, it seems like the version on the Rarities CD is taken from the "Best of Who vol. 2" LP from France. Same speed difference, similar fake stereo, and nearly identical overall sound. Either that, or the version on the French LP is lifted from another LP master with the same processing.

7. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Huh. Was "Someone's Coming" the same double-tracked mix on the original French "Dogs"/"Someone's Coming" single? Anyone know?

Thanks for the single-tracked mix, Luke.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Anyone? owsley?

9. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The(now deleted) Japanese CD of the mono "Sell Out" is a legitimate release, and sounds superb. It uses the original Japanese artwork, reproduced on a cardboard album cover replica sleeve. While I acted too late to be able to buy the disc(it was deleted by the time I had learned of it), a friend made me a perfect clone.

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Maybe Jason Crezbala?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Any relation to Jason Czeskleba?

12. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I knew I messed up his name, and was going to mention that. But I didn't think you'd bother "calling me out" on it. You're one evil dude, Luke! :laugh:

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do I *look* like I'm smiling in my avatar?

;)

14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I love the track listing of Direct Hits and was really impressed with the Classic vinyl sound, but having just heard the Japanese cd for the first time, I am swayed. It sounds amazing.

Also heard the mono ICSFM original 45, tasty. :)

Gotta love the mid 60s 'Oo. :)

15. DJ WILBUR

I too dig the tunes on Direct Hits, but I never quite got using Bucket "T" as an opener to an album...i always enjoyed it more as track 10 on Magic Bus myself....so I've reshuffled that album for my uses. I never had that album back in the day anyway, but that Japanese cd is pretty nice overall.

wow a mono ICSFM original 45....:righton:...so the big debate in this thread is the version on the cd the same as the 45?...no one seems to have the answer to this question...including myself....:shrug:

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Which CD? Direct Hits? If so, yes, the version on that CD is the same as that on the US and UK singles. I.e., with a bass overdub, albeit *not* the same overdub as on the BBC version (and on The Singles). No debate.

17. DJ WILBUR

yes Direct Hits cd...cool, i'd been re-perusing this old thread and seemed there was a lot of debate on if this was in fact the single mix. thanks!

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've played copies of Track and Decca singles, and both match what's on the Direct Hits CD.

19. DJ WILBUR

:righton: thanks for the clarification....

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Coming in late again.

Circles has never been issued in stereo. Always mono or fake stereo. It is fake stereo on "The Who" and "I'm A Boy".

As above, Circles is also fake stereo.

My Generation/Land of Hope and Glory is stereo, just quite narrow.

Bucket T and Barbara Ann are stereo remixes. Backing center, vocals spread out.

I'm A Boy has less compression/limiting than either the 2003 A Quick One reissue or the Japanese A Quick One box. It seems quite likely the Japanese copy master for I'm A Boy was used for that CD. Which, it should be noted, is the same as the German "The Who" (the first German issue of the AQO tracks), just with the tracks in a different order.

As has already been pointed out, these are 100% legit.

Re: Dogs stereo mix:

You'd be surprised. It's possible one was made for Who's For Tennis. Off the top of my head, stereo mixes that were made at the time but not released: Barbara Ann, Early Morning Cold Taxi, Girl's Eyes, Things Go Better With Coke, Coke After Coke. I'm sure I'm forgetting some and there are probably others that I don't know about.

How do we know that?

Disguises has been issued in stereo on the 2003 AQO, I'm A Boy, and the AQO box. As well as multiple places on vinyl.

Call Me Lightning is a very narrow stereo remix.

Let's See Action has been issued in its original mix on CD before, notably Rarities and Who's Missing.

I'm convinced that nothing was likely recorded directly to mono, but that Talmy simply didn't keep the right tapes for some reason. Case in point: Daddy Rolling Stone. The remixed version doesn't match the original, and Fang's notes (from mono dubs of Talmy's tapes) indicate Talmy didn't have another version. Plus, the original mono and stereo mixes match (except for additional reverb on the mono), indicating a 3-track had to exist at some point to mix from.

I almost wonder if Talmy kept the *master* 3-tracks elsewhere and lost or forgot about them for some reason.

That's just the stereo mix.

FWIW, I'd say "I'm A Boy" is the best source for the stereo AQO tracks, sans So Sad About Us and the title track (which aren't on that disc). The EQ could use some help, but there doesn't seem to be much or any limiting, and no noise reduction.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

One more comment about "lost forever" multitracks, like Happy Jack, Pictures of Lily, I'm A Boy (complete), etc... I wouldn't be surprised if any or all of those turn up at some point. A few examples:

- in 1995, it was stated that the multis to AQO were lost (I seem to recall something about a flood in Kit Lambert's castle in Venice), yet 8 (including EP tracks) were found and used for the 2003 CD. Not to mention even the *stereo* masters were MIA, yet it seems as if 3 sources (at the very least) have been located - the German AQO master, the German "The Who" master, and the Japanese I'm A Boy master.

- after O&S used the incorrect version of Young Man Blues, it was indicated that no other versions existed in the vaults. Yet when Tommy was remixed for the Deluxe Edition, there was the master take, along with the rest of the tapes.

Also, I've *heard* that the remix of I'm A Boy without overdubs was somewhat of a "something different" thing. I.e., intentional. Not sure if that is true or not, or what exactly is on the multi, but it's something to ponder. FWIW, it doesn't seem like another tape generation would have been required - one track for backing, two tracks for vocals, and one track for overdubs (tuba, French horn, percussion). It's possible for the box set they simply mixed out the overdub track (as well as the vocal tracks in the intro).

22. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The original UK Track single of "Pictures Of Lily" is the one with the "drier" ending!

EDIT: I'm confused! I thought I was in the SHM SACD thread, but still the info above is correct!

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Don't do that!

24. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I blame you, Luke! :)

I think you quoted someone from this thread in the other one and I clicked on it by mistake.

Hope you're well.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I did...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.