Van Morrison '08 Japan cd remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes,The Music Tap is now saying the mastering is THE SAME as the original Warner disc-but appears to sound much better since it was a new digital transfer (probably 24/96 I'm guessing).Most members on this website who don't usually don't like digital remasters because of excess compression/maximization should enjoy these discs.Can't wait to get my Japanese 2008 copy-on it's way from Yes,Asia.

2. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

This doesn't explain the appearance of the tambourine, however.

3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Can you post a clip?
    :)

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Where are my copies? They'll arrive soon ...

5. tomd

Just got my copy of the 2008 Japanese version and yes-Into The Mystic is the tambourine version previously mentioned on this forum.This version imho is a huge improvement over the 80's Warner Bros.Highly recommended!:goodie:

6. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Attached Files:

7. tomd

Uh Oh-the waveform police are here! Glad I had a chance to listen to it and enjoy the new version before the waveform got posted:laugh:

8. LesPaul666

I hope they change it for the US release(if there ever is one). They couldn't resist that limiter, Eh?:D

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Oh dear......could this possibly be sourced from Steve Hoffman's new LP mastering???

10. LesPaul666

I hope not. If it was, I would imagine that this CD is quite twisted around to what the SH LP really sounds like.:eek:

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Okay, finally got around to playing these Warner Bros. reissues from Japan. I think they sound great. Just that simple. ASTRAL WEEKS sounds better than any other CD version I've heard -- it's not perfect, sound-wise (it's a tad bright and brittle) -- but the best I've heard yet.

The other two titles sound fantastic to these ears.

12. LesPaul666

IMHO, I think these were mastered here in the U.S., from the original masters by Rhino, then released in Japan. The audio is to compressed for me. I'll keep the originals, thank you.:)

13. swinger

swinger Member

I've never had Astral Weeks on cd so I thought to give this one a try. I ordered my copy at cdjapan a week ago and I should get it any day now. I haven't heard yet any decent sound cd version of that classic album.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

15. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Those of you that are happy with your CD Japan buying experience - what freight options have you tried, and how were the results to the US?

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks for digging that out - very interesting, on a number of fronts.

17. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

That "Into the Mystic" clip does sound incredibly dynamically compressed. What gives?

18. swinger

swinger Member

I got my copy of Astral Weeks today and it sounds really wonderful to my ears. Really dynamic and not too compressed or bright. A job well done :)

19. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

This looks like a "hatchet-job". Compare it to the same recording as found on the recently remastered 'Still On Top' compilation -

Attached Files:

20. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

I just got a remastered (with 2 bonus tracks) of No Teacher, No Guru from YourMusic. The disk is an SHM version,. I compared it to my old cd and the new one sounds more open and transparent, less compressed to me on my system. The soundstage appears deeper so that acoustic guitar fills which are muffled and barely audible in the background of the old disk seem more "forward" and present in the SHM version. I've retired the old version to the box in the basement and look forward to getting more of these SHM remasters on the cheap from YourMusic. This is only my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

When is the next bunch coming out?:cheers:

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Cool, I have to try some SHM CDs.

23. tomd

Japanese 2008 Van Morrison "Remasters"?

For those of you that remember in late 2008 in Japan the Warner Van Morrison titles appeared (Astral Weeks,His Band and Street Choir,and Moondance) on cd in what first sounded like remastered form.I myself purchased the Japanese Moondance and not only did it sound significantly better the the 80s U.S. Warner version it had the original tamborine version of "Into The Mystic" that Steve used on the Moondance vinyl reissue.These versions to date have NOT appeared in the U.S on cd but here's what I found as a follow up on the Music Tap website posted a few days later after the original review:

We have an update concerning the Van Morrison albums that we posted a review of last week. It is important to note that the albums were not re-mastered in the expected sense but were transferred from the analogue tapes to to new digital masters. The resulting works obviously sound very good as I've received emails to that effect. Rhino is releasing the same three in LP format uisng the same technique. Please make your ordering decisions based on this piece of information.

Does anyone know if these versions are still available?-just curious

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Do you mean the lps or cds?

I got a Jap Astral Weeks, the new version, a couple of months ago from CDJapan. I think Moondance was sold out though.

25. moops

moops Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.