Neil Young "Sugar Mountain" concert to be released!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wollensack, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

Archives Vol.1?

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Excellent news that it won't be part of the Archives set. That means I won't have to try and hold off buying it like I did with the Massey Hall release before giving in a year later.

Can't wait to hear bare versions of If I Could Have Her Tonight and I've Been Waiting For You.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

There are early 70s era recordings that circulate and have been heavily bootlegged. However, I have seen very few if any recordings from the late 60s. This should be a VERY interesting release. Sure wish it was a bit sooner than the end of November.

4. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

So that means the Sugar Mountain on Decade was mono, correct? If so, I guess it was a straight transfer from the mono single?

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

great news

6. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Speaking of which was it ever confirmed whether Massey Hall will be included in the blu-ray set?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I was just going to bring this up. I'm listening to Decade now, and yes, it's mono. That said, does anyone know how this was recorded? One track for vocal, one for guitar? One for the PA mix and one for an audience mic? I'd be happy to be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on the original recording not being "improved" somehow. Kind of like Stills' "Just Roll Tape", where the twin-track recording was mixed with the vocal track center and the guitar track delayed and split left and right.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I believe both Massey Hall and the Crazy Horse Fillmore disc will be included in Archives Vol 1. Of course, that could change by the time/if it comes out...

9. Just checking three of Neil's Reprise 45s with the "Sugar Mountain" B side. They're all mono.

[​IMG]

1. "When You Dance I Can Really Love" b/w "Sugar Mountain"
    Reprise - 0092 - Warner Brothers Records Of Canada
    Released in March, 1971 the sleeve I have contains the W7 logo.

2. "Heart Of Gold" b/w "Sugar Mountain"
    Reprise - REP 1065 - Kinney Music Of Canada
    The copy I have from January, 1972 is a rare misprint. Both labels have Side 2 "Sugar Mountain".

Above 45s purchased new, back in the day.

3. "The Loner" b/w "Sugar Mountain"
    Reprise - 48983-1 MONO
    From 2004 this comes with the 2 LP Greatest Hits set as a bonus 45. Says MONO right on the label.

[​IMG]

Be surprising if this concert is mixed to stereo. Been listening to the mono "Sugar Mountain" for almost 40 years now. Will be odd hearing it in stereo.

("Sugar Mountain" has been released as a Neil Young Reprise B side about 7 or 8 times including the original "The Loner" 45 from 1969.)

10. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Stop showing off! :)

11. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

So...what's on the DVD?

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Neil Young preps "new" live set, delays "Archives"

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE49C8B020081013

13. tootull

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If you mean the Sugar Mountain CD isn't found at Neil's Garage ... it may not have a link on the actual page yet, but there's a huge banner ad for it under the "Garage" saying "Coming November 25."

15. tootull

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Can't wait to get this.

17. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Me neither! :)

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

19. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Why would you assume that? More likely, IMO, that Amazon decided to just list the actual music tracks, and not the ramblings/intros in between all the songs...

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

apetite wetted Order placed delay expected. It is Neil Young after all;).

21. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I'm looking forward to getting this and to reburning a copy with those stoned mumbly rambles omitted. I love Neil, but based on the tapes I've heard he still had some work to do on his stage patter in those early acoustic shows.

22. Yep, the ramblings, banter and raps are intact... just got this email from Warner Canada today:

23. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

You've heard early acoustic shows? This early? The Ann Arbor and Riverboat shows are his first shows as a solo artist since prior to Buffalo Springfield. His next solo shows were two years later and those were pretty tight.

24. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Quite looking foraward to this release. Hope it is as good as the last 2 archive discs.

25. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I heard some pre-1970 ones that I think were at the Bitter End in NYC, or somewhere in Canada. Sorry, it was years ago and the details are hazy in more ways than one. The fellow who played them for me had a huge collection of stuff that I don't think was in wide circulation -- wish I knew how to get in touch with him these days. The live stuff was pretty loose and the spoken sections were verging on unintelligible. Good music, though, and some of the same material that looks like it's coming out on the official release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.