Dean Martin - I found a stereo Return To Me

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

I found a true quadraphonic Cherry Pies Ought To Be You by Frank Sinatra.

2. Sean Keane

Yeah, that was already pointed out by JBFoster.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Do we understand now? Two different performances. The remake was done in stereo. The entire reason it was remade in the first place is because the original was a mono only session.

Same deal for AN EVENING IN ROMA although there was a three track done of the original song, it was deemed unfit for use (the background singers were totally off mic on it). Ron F. used it anyway for his Capitol Collectors Series Dean CD...

4. Sean Keane

Well, don't get mad. :laugh:

5. Steve Hoffman

Heh, the entire thread including the title is total misinformation! Can we lose it or change the thread title to:

Dean Martin-I thought I found a stereo "Return To Me" but damn, I really didn't"

:agree:

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

No problem Sean, it's the thought that counts and all that. It's good to see the interest. :)

Thank goodness, and thanks to Ron. :wave: For non-collector-oriented reissues like hits comps, I suppose the original mono really should be commonly in print. That said I actually like the original vers. in stereo, chorus off mic and all... the warm, roomy sound to it I guess. Love being able to hear early stereo, sometimes even when the balances/mix/pickups aren't what one might like.

7. Steve Hoffman

Ron was right to use it, yes. An amazing sounding track. The "room" sound is impressive. I've used ROMA to gage depth and ambiance retrieval from amps, linestages, speakers, wire, etc. You get the right combo and you can clearly hear the room, front to back like you're standing right there. It's uncanny.

8. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Bob Norberg was able to "fly-in" the background singers from the mono tape to the stereo 3-track for this version of "Roma" that's on this CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Years...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1221947590&sr=1-1

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

A nice experiment with good intentions but fwiw, I like it better in original form. I also prefer the sound on the Capitol Collector's Series CD Ron also produced (Larry Walsh, remix / remastering), as flying in the background singers wasn't all Bob did on the Capitol Years set, at least on the CD pressing of it I have. The CCS sounds more natural.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.