Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I hear what you are saying but I think this particular review is spot on.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

What does it say in the deadwax?

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I'm listening to the 2-LP vinyl right now.

I think it sounds pretty good. The cymbals are a bit "splashy" or crunchy (like on "Broken, Beat & Scarred") in a few spots and I think one or two tracks sound better in quality than others. I actually feel that there's a sense of headroom and space in many of the mixes---and I have to crank my system up to get some volume.

"That Was Just Your Life" reminds me of probably my favorite Metallica track of all time...."Blackened".

Poor Jason Newsted (ex-bass player), I can actually hear bass guitar on this LP and it sounds pretty warm and defined in spots.

4. RuneSpyder

RuneSpyder New Member

Yeah....That's what I am holding out hope for. I am hoping that MoFi either told them to pound sand when they got that mix or they received something cleaner to start with.

Irregardless, I am really digging the new album!

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

On LP-1 side 1 the only words I see look like "Km Catu" the second LP looks like "KsG CATm".

Kevin Gray????

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Forum Resident

Yeah, it's hard to make out the writing.

As I said, I think the nature of it being vinyl makes it more pleasing than the CD, but it's obviously still a wall of sound (the loud par of "Day" is no louder than the quiet part) and there's still an underlying haze to the record.

-HM

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I will agree with you on the haze. I keep reminding myself that this album was produced by Rick Rubin---it's pretty stripped down and gimmick-free. It doesn't sound like it has wall-to-wall use of tracks like the "And Justice..." album and it's not slick and polished like the "Black" album.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks. Looks like they used the good old plug in to crank the crap out of it. Thanks guys.:shake:

9. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

This albums slays my ****!!!!!! To me, this is their "Snakes and Arrows".

I really hope I can find the vinyl today here in Toronto, otherwise I'll just have to spring for the CD to hold me over.

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Screw it, I just ordered it from amazon.ca. $17.99. Not in stock, but it should arrive soon. I'll buy the cd to keep me happy till then.

11. nin

nin Forum Resident

Any chance for a needle drop? Mainly the single, 4:00-5:20

12. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

13. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Please forgive me if this has already been posted. Today, at Hot Topic, the CD is $5.00! And a plain, black, T-shirt, with the correct logo, $5.00! Today only!!
    At my store, the single was sold out.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Here's a screen shot of My Apocalypse from the CD. I think Ted is telling the truth on this. The way that the waveform looks, it was brickwalled durng the mix. Ted actually unbrickwalled it a bit!

Frank R.

Attached Files:

16. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

He engineered and mixed this sonic disaster.

Let's all be thankful he didn't go into the medical profession.

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The Unforgiven III isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! There's some pretty cool guitar melodies in it. It sucks that I'm hearing the digital distortion like on Stadium Arcadium. Why Mr. Rubin??? Hopefully I can remove that with some tricks I know in Wavelab.

Frank R.

18. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Note how much time they spend talking about the image of Metallica rather than the music of Metallica. This is a much more "fair and balanced" review than the one for St. Anger but it's still exactly what I'd expect for indie-hipsters. From what I've heard of the album, it sounds like it was made for the long-time fans - not exactly creative, which I will give points to Pitchfork for pointing, but it sounded pretty vital. I'll be picking it up in a couple hours to judge for myself. I don't expect anything to challenge the black album, Justice, Master, or Lightning, but if it's a fun listen, I'll be happy.

Then again, I also kind of enjoyed St. Anger. :eek:

19. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

Indeed, and he has an impressive back catalog! Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down, Jet, Audioslave... I'm starting to notice a trend here.

20. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

Just picked up the 2-LP vinyl at Best Buy for $14.99. Now I have it on my desk at work. I'm eager to hear what it sounds like.

21. highfidelity81

[​IMG]
    Look how it's mocking me....sitting on my desk all wrapped up and ready to be played.

22. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Forum Resident

Great pic, hah. Just try to ignore the fact that there's no dynamics to speak of, and there is underlying haze when they really jam, and you'll enjoy the music. It's a very good effort by them.

And post your opinion when you get home!

-HM

23. Dan

Dan Senior Member

BTW, I purchased my LP at 10:45am today at Best Buy and they had exactly TWO copies of the vinyl which were located in the box set section. Lots of CD's available though.

The other thing to be aware of (not sure if anyone mentioned it yet) is that this sale price on the vinyl and CD is only good through Saturday 9/13. I'm sure Circuit City's $8.99 for the CD is the same deal.

24. highfidelity81

http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/node/136

25. highfidelity81

Yeah, there were only two copies when I got arrived at Best Buy as well. We have three Best Buys in Tulsa and only one of them got vinyl copies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.